WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2021

Replies

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Allie, you are sounding much better, even if it's little by little.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    The weekend is over and I'm about to go to bed.

Highlights
    -- stopping in and seeing our son and daughter-in-law and their in-progress renovations
    -- cycling in two different places
    -- sleeping!
    -- getting stuff done. I've got one project left in the dressing room and I've done a number of other little things.
    -- going up a bit in my upper body weights. I'm now curling 5 kg (11 lbs) which is the most I've done in a while.
    -- and changing my backpack.

Changing my backpack is a kind of big step for me. Since my bicycle commuting days back in Winnipeg in the early 2000s, I started carrying a backpack to work. I didn't stop when I attending uni in Alberta. And I continued when I moved to Australia, especially once I started my most recent program at uni here. In fact, here, quite often I was carrying a fairly heavy backpack on 5-6 km walks once or twice a week, to/from the university.

Given that I will see a neurosurgeon about my back this week, I thought it best to stop carrying a backpack. Unfortunately I don't have any alternative bags, so I've moved to a small backpack, about 1/3 the size of the one I was carrying. I'll see how that goes and if it isn't working for me, I'll find an alternative.

But I'm realising that my backpacks had become my security backpacks (like a security blanket). I'm setting off to work without that tomorrow! It probably doesn't seem like a big deal, but I'm already feeling like something is missing.

I'm sure I'll adjust.

Machka in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,023 Member
    Okie we have gotten water in our basement from melting snow, so I think it is good you were proactive. I have made some changes to the grade and downspout where this happens so it has not happened in a long time. It is a pain when it does.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    feeling off balance today.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,636 Member
    Morning ladies
    Ugh i didn't sleep well at all last night.. gosh I wish i could get into some sort of routine so that I can sleep..
    I am up and dressed and watching cooking shows..will go out and do my walk in the hall.. and will do my PT.. this will be the only way i will get better..im so impatient and want to feel better sooner and have to learn how to relax.. at night I try and do relaxation exercises and deep breathing ,and visualize my scar being healed from the inside out..
    When Tom was here yesterday he is planning on retiring next year and said he jas an attorney set ,as he wont be able to afford to pay me what he is paying in alimony then. He has to pay me until im 68.. we didnt get into it to much just trying to get better.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,956 Member
    Cathy, so glad you are okay and have your utilities back.

Annie in Delaware
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,877 Member
    :) Recovering from surgery or injury is such a frustrating process especially for someone who is accustomed to being active. Last night I had a sudden recollection of how I'd had to use a walker to go from bed to bathroom after my surgery and remembered how I wondered whether I'd ever be OK again.

:)Tracey, I'm so glad to hear that physical therapy is finally showing some results for you. When I had physical therapy after my surgery, my back hurt more than it had before. You are so smart to continue to follow directions.

:)Allie, I gather from your posts that you are not a reader. Reading is what helped me weather the long recovery from my back surgery in 2016 and my back injury in 2018 when I had to spend so much time inactive.

:)Lisa, I get what you're saying about being able to take care of yourself. I went away on a professional trip once with a woman who insisted on driving because she said that she wanted to be the driver from time to time because her husband usually did the driving and she wanted to know that she was still capable.

:)Heather, Thost puzzles are a great way to learn about other countries.

:) My Sunday walking friend is coming today after having to cancel for two weeks.

:) Otherwise, my day is just like all the others which is a good thing.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    msy3edmpcn5y.jpg

We try to memorise the most unlikely capitals for our quizzes. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxx

Wow Heather that jigsaw is awesome, I love them, bought my son and his wife one for Christmas of Liverpool, they make them to order, various cities available

I am bereft I have watched all 7 seasons of West Wing, cried when Leo (actor John Spencer ) died. I hadn’t realised that he actually died before filming ended. Might have to go back to ER or St Elsewhere.

MICHELLE that’s what I love about our lovely group, we can discuss, disagree and not fall out yay us👍👍

Keep safe

Kate UK ❤️
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline, Freddie’s for rx, type hymns.
    Bonus: stroll with T, update pension plan secondary beneficiaries.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, livestream church, council meeting zoom, call S, call C, call R, start taxes, fire district: minutes, input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; FM Cu, watch STAS Day 20, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments,
    Friendly February:
    21: Actively listen to what people say, without judging them: sound advice for today’s Council meeting.

Katla, Joe and I are on a vaccine waiting list. While technically we could start to receive Monday, I’m expecting the demand has outstripped the supply in our county and it may be months…
    Tracey great news from the physio, and that Rodger is continuing to help. ;)
    Michele we had a 30plus cent jump in gas prices here too. :grumble:
    Heather con grats on both the run and the win!
    Allie have you told your lawyer what Tom said about the alimony?
    Kate West Wing is my favorite and my go to when disgusted with currently available offerings. I cried, too, over John Spencer.

Watched a movie with Joe before he left for Walmart. Now I’m too sleepy to do laundry or vacuum, what a shame :wink:

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    February: leaner/stronger/kinder than January.
    daily: sit with Joe: 21, weigh/wii: 20/16/43; steps>5627=7554, vits=19, log=20, CI<CO=16, CI<250<CO=11, Tumble=15 Shadow=15 mfp=20 outside=12 up hill=11
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3= rx=2 dance=1 clean 60 mins=1.75 packwalk=3, wt=1/31:141.3 2/7:142  2/14: 143:3 :cry: 141.5 141.5 2/21: 2/28
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=5 , 21 plan= bonus: AF=10 play=17 sew= waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,431 Member
    Hhhhhh
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Good day to all!
    💜🟠💛🔵
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    I highly recommend Call My Agent, if you've got Netflix. 4 series. I'm coming to the end now, and I'm feeling like my family is going to Australia. :'( Yes, it's in French, but the subtitles are good.

It's funny because, when I started, each episode was 45 minutes, so I got 375 calories done on the rower and bike. The last series is 60 mins per episode, so I'm getting 400! Win!

We've eaten no meat this weekend. Eggs and cheese for lunches and fish for dinners.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Heather: Salem, Oregon is the capital city of this state. The Columbia River is the border between Washington and Oregon in our part of Oregon. The headwaters of the Columbia River are in Canada. I live beside the Columbia River west of Portland. :wink:

Allie: Sorry to hear that you didn’t get a good night’s sleep. :star:

Barbara: We are in a similar situation as you are. I have a serious case of the grumpies relative to Kate Brown’s proclamations about who is high priority and who has to wait. We are supposed to get vaccinated by 2/22 but our county offices are not optimistic that there will be any vaccine here. Never the less, I plan to show up. :grumble: My cousins who live across the river in Washington have had the first dose of vaccine already. Mark is medically frail. I don’t begrudge him any help he can get. My DH is also medically frail. No help here in NW Oregon. You may have noticed a bit of frustration and anger coming from me. :embarassed:

Cheri: It is so good to see you posting again. Are you safe and warm in TX? I’ve seen lots of scary news on the Weather Channel. One of my longtime friends is living with her son’s family in TX. They’ve been struggling to stay warm enough. They were okay the last time I checked in with them, several days ago.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,636 Member
    Dont have a lawyer ,unless you count the divorce lawyer.. I could contact her i guess but will cost money that i dont have
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,553 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »

:)Allie, I gather from your posts that you are not a reader. Reading is what helped me weather the long recovery from my back surgery in 2016 and my back injury in 2018 when I had to spend so much time inactive.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

That's a great idea. My middle son works nights as a stocking clerk at a big box hardware store. When they are unloading the truck, I gather it is quite social and lots of talking, but once the truck is unloaded, each worker goes to his/her own area of the store and stocks or down stocks. It can get rather boring, so he started listening to pod casts. He grew tired of that, so he subscribed to Audible. He loves it. So you might look into that, Allie. That way you could be resting, with your eyes closed, listening to books, and you might relax better. They have all sorts and many of the books are free, with a basic subscription.

I am sorry to hear that it sounds like Tom is going back to court to reduce your alimony. I hope you can get that taken care of to maintain your living situation.

Everyone take care!

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,618 Member
    B)
    On the subject of books to listen to, most of the libraries here have ways to get an online library card (our libraries are still closed) and then a system to download the books they have available in the listening library, and that is free.

Kim in N. California
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,956 Member
    Okie, hope your water comes back soon!
    Annie in Delaware
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,750 Member
    B)