Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Relationship Compatibility

1235»

Replies

• Ddsb11Ddsb11 Member Posts: 529 Member Member Posts: 529 Member
    lorib642 wrote: »
    I have heard that similar religious beliefs are important, but my husband is Jewish and I am a non believer coming up on 25 years. Every couple is different.

Congrats on 25 years!
  • mtaratootmtaratoot Member, Premium Posts: 5,359 Member Member, Premium Posts: 5,359 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    On the notion of "only your race or culture" or however it's worded, I see those a distinct. Race is something that is purely physical, it says nothing about who you are as a person. I don't know if I can say the same about culture. I think that does have a big influence. I'm not saying I would never be compatible with someone of another culture, but I think it's a characteristic on the level of many other things we see on dating sites to determine compatibility, such as educational level, interest in fitness, interest in other activities, religion...

Thing is, some (sub-)cultures can have similarities, even when national origin or race differ. Certain values, preferences, attitudes recur in different cultures and subcultures. Just to give some obvious examples of things superficially different cultures can share: Religious tradition, family cohesion (or lack), value placed on academic or financial success, family size preference, gender roles . . . .

I've long argued - only partly tongue in cheek - that complementary neuroses are the basis of many successful relationships. My trivial example is that I dislike driving, and my late husband disliked riding with other drivers. More profoundly, perhaps overbearing people pair better with meek ones, sneaky people with gullible ones, narcissists with those who need a confident idol, and so forth? 😉

I've often said, tongue only partially in cheek, that we ALL have some baggage we carry around for whatever reason. We just need to find someone with matching bags....
  • MaltedTeaMaltedTea Member, Premium Posts: 4,734 Member Member, Premium Posts: 4,734 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    *snip*
    I've often said, tongue only partially in cheek, that we ALL have some baggage we carry around for whatever reason. We just need to find someone with matching bags....

This is so romantic to me 🥰
  • MrsMellodoggerelloMrsMellodoggerello Member Posts: 191 Member Member Posts: 191 Member
    and has a higher risk for accidental mating with close cousins than the general population... :#
    Marrying different race leads to problems. People should stay with their own kind
    More importantly God says we should not be unequally yoked.. Ie.. a believer with a non-believer.. different faiths..
    But we live in a fallen sinful world that is lost and doomed to destroy it self so.. self gratification comes first..and most marry for financial reason loneliness, infatuation or simple cause it's been conditioned in their head grow up go to school get a job get married have kids get a mortgage then die.. Puppets on a string..
    Smh

It's amazing that someone would rule out entire swaths of the earth's population as potential mates due to race and then talk about other people being "puppets."

You've bought into one of the faultiest and sloppiest ways to actually know something about a person that there is.

• mtaratootmtaratoot Member, Premium Posts: 5,359 Member Member, Premium Posts: 5,359 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    *snip*

This is so romantic to me 🥰

Well, pragmatic anyway.

As a recovering scientist it's nice to think maybe I'm actually a romantic pragmatist instead of just a curmudgeonly pragmatist. But I'm probably just a curmudgeon. And you should see the bags I carry!
  • Mr_Healthy_HabitsMr_Healthy_Habits Member Posts: 12,083 Member Member Posts: 12,083 Member
    I'm in an interracial marriage, I'm Mexican in both sides and my wife is Caucasian... I understand what you mean, but in the neighborhood we grew up in, it's not an uncommon or unusual thing...

However the area we now live in is a little more affluent and I can't say I haven't noticed strange looks or reactions from older people from time to time...

Why is this... The truth is that physical brain composition and life experiences aside... I'm no different from these people who look at us strangely...

It all just comes down to physical brain composition, chemistry, and past experiences and influences that have shaped us into the people we are...

There isn't anything else that fundamentally separates us from one another... You can find and make peace with these people knowing this, regardless if they fail to see it!

And check out my podcast for more if you appreciate this outlook and would like to hear more! 😂

I call it "The Mr Healthy Habits Show" available wherever you podcast!
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Member Posts: 23,470 Member Member Posts: 23,470 Member
    When I married my (now-ex) husband in the 80s, the first chaplain we approached wouldn't marry us because of our "religious differences" - he was a non-practicing Protestant and I was a non-practicing Catholic. :lol:

The second chaplain had us take the Myers-Briggs personality test and facilitated a discussion on the differences.
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Member Posts: 23,470 Member Member Posts: 23,470 Member
    One thing that helped me survive the last four years was having a partner and family members who are aligned with my political beliefs.
  • Ddsb11Ddsb11 Member Posts: 529 Member Member Posts: 529 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    One thing that helped me survive the last four years was having a partner and family members who are aligned with my political beliefs.

Wait, you have the same political beliefs as your family, your partner, AND their family? You won the family lottery right there lol.
    edited February 9
  • PsychgrrlPsychgrrl Member Posts: 3,023 Member Member Posts: 3,023 Member
    “Love is love is love is love.” Lin Manuel Miranda.

I identify as a Caucasian female and date out of my race/ethnicity. To me, there is beauty everywhere, in everyone. The real connection is more than skin deep.