Do you take supplements with your eating plan or do you get all your nutrition from the food you eat

Options
124»

Replies

  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,854 Member
    Options
    I live in a northern climate so take a cod liver oil capsule. I also take an eye support supplement (Ocuvite) because there's a family history of macular deneneration. I began taking vitamin C when COVID started, because it can't hurt, right? I also take a glucosamine capsule but there's a story behind that: My dog had developed some arthritis as she got older and glucosamine is supposed to help with that. My dog has since died but just before her death I had purchased a Costco sized bottle. I'm not one to waste good money and I figured it won't do me any harm, and may even help (because I'm older too!). TBH I haven't noticed any difference so once the bottle is empty, I won't continue taking it.

    I use one of those pill containers with the days of the week to store my vitamins. I was always terrible at remembering to take them and even though it makes me feel like a little old lady, I find it really helps.
  • Iwannabeapunkrockmom
    Iwannabeapunkrockmom Posts: 61 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I take supplements suggested by my doctor due to the meds I take, my lab work, and symptoms: fish oil, adren-all, vit c, b-complex, and mag a couple of times a week.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »
    I take D and B12 on a daily basis.

    At the moment I am also adding a multi and collagen/biotin.
    The latter 2 are because I have had a very stressful 8 month, and that is not taking COVID into account, and I know I am probably a little lacking in nutrients.

    Calcium, I get from dairy as it is better absorbed.

    If you live in the north get your D checked, and, because You say you are an older woman, get your B12 checked. Quite often as we age absorption of B12 drops. This can really affect your energy levels and brain function.

    Cheers, h.

    Thank you I take the calcium because I dont drink milk or eat a lot of dairy - my calcium has d. Hadn't thought about B12 - I live in the usually sunny Texas but right now we are in the middle of an a arctic freeze that has been going on for the last 4 days and is expected to last until next Friday with sleet, ice and snow and temps in the 20's.
    Thought I got away from all of that when I left the east coast years ago.
    Have a great weekend.

    I second checking the B12 and D. I live in sunny Phoenix, AZ and my job has me outside a decent amount, but a couple years ago, my doctor discovered my B12 and D levels were extremely low. I couldn't believe it. Supplements have been necessary to keep my levels up. Hard to believe with our 300 days of sun a year!

    Apparently something like 20% of people lack the ability to make vit D from sunlight, and you'd never know whether you did or not until you ended up deficient.

    This is especially true in the winter when people are in the house more and their is less sunlight available more and more people need D and end up deficient. :(

  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I take a men's once a day just to cover my bases. I also take D3 and K2. Fish oil for Omega 3s...though I also eat a fair amount of tuna and salmon.

    I eat tons of tuna and salmon too. More tuna than salmon but at least 2/3 of my diet is made up of those 2 items.Have a great week.Thanks for your input. :)

  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I take supplements suggested by my doctor due to the meds I take, my lab work, and symptoms: fish oil, adren-all, vit c, b-complex, and mag a couple of times a week.

    thank you appreciate your insights. Have a great week and stay warm it's so cold all over the place.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I live in a northern climate so take a cod liver oil capsule. I also take an eye support supplement (Ocuvite) because there's a family history of macular deneneration. I began taking vitamin C when COVID started, because it can't hurt, right? I also take a glucosamine capsule but there's a story behind that: My dog had developed some arthritis as she got older and glucosamine is supposed to help with that. My dog has since died but just before her death I had purchased a Costco sized bottle. I'm not one to waste good money and I figured it won't do me any harm, and may even help (because I'm older too!). TBH I haven't noticed any difference so once the bottle is empty, I won't continue taking it.

    I use one of those pill containers with the days of the week to store my vitamins. I was always terrible at remembering to take them and even though it makes me feel like a little old lady, I find it really helps.

    I use one of those containers too,takes the guess work out for me of what I have taken and when. Otherwise if I have to take everything out of the bottles I have to mark the bottles. And your right it can't hurt. We think alike. Thanks for sharing.Have a great week. <3

  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I am deficient and take:
    * iron and “blood builder” supplement
    * B vitamins
    * Vitamin D

    Also
    * Multi-vitamin
    * Joint supplement (glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM)

    Vitamin C helps both iron and calcium absorb. However since they compete for resources to absorb, avoid taking them (calcium and iron) at the same time if possible. Also, too much vitamin c can make some people 🙋🏻‍♀️ bruise more easily and severely. I went through nutrient timing with my doc and an RD when I was really struggling with my iron/ferritin levels.

    I love my protein shakes and have one as my afternoon snack to help with that macro. I don’t see how I could ever eat enough to get all I need from food.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and IBS, and that is the main reason I take supplements.

    I take fiber capsules (2 in the morning and 2 at night) and 2 stool softeners and 1000 mg of ginger in a capsule daily and I am doing better with the daily constitutional than I was. (I can't eat most vegetables due to the IBS.) By doctor's orders since I stay in the house mostly, I take vitamin D, and I take a multivitamin and supplement with cranberry tablets (they help with soreness from peeing out all the water I drink!) B complex tablet, and cinnamon capsules to help with blood sugar balance. They seem to keep me from doing fine and then crashing; instead, I can be aware that I'm getting hungry and do something about it. I also supplement with xylose isomerase when necessary because I have fructose intolerance. (A capsule or two when I want a piece of fruit, chiefly.)

    Add to that some NSAIDS for the fibro pain and my psych med and I had to get a bigger pill case. But I feel better, so that's the point.

  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Just a multi vitamin each day
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and IBS, and that is the main reason I take supplements.

    I take fiber capsules (2 in the morning and 2 at night) and 2 stool softeners and 1000 mg of ginger in a capsule daily and I am doing better with the daily constitutional than I was. (I can't eat most vegetables due to the IBS.) By doctor's orders since I stay in the house mostly, I take vitamin D, and I take a multivitamin and supplement with cranberry tablets (they help with soreness from peeing out all the water I drink!) B complex tablet, and cinnamon capsules to help with blood sugar balance. They seem to keep me from doing fine and then crashing; instead, I can be aware that I'm getting hungry and do something about it. I also supplement with xylose isomerase when necessary because I have fructose intolerance. (A capsule or two when I want a piece of fruit, chiefly.)

    Your a real trooper and I am inspired by the fact you keep up with all of your supplements. I wish you the best with your fibromyalgia my aunt has to take shots for hers and she has lupus too. Thanks so much for sharing and reaching out to me. Have a great week. Hugs
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I am deficient and take:
    * iron and “blood builder” supplement
    * B vitamins
    * Vitamin D

    Also
    * Multi-vitamin
    * Joint supplement (glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM)

    Vitamin C helps both iron and calcium absorb. However since they compete for resources to absorb, avoid taking them (calcium and iron) at the same time if possible. Also, too much vitamin c can make some people 🙋🏻‍♀️ bruise more easily and severely. I went through nutrient timing with my doc and an RD when I was really struggling with my iron/ferritin levels.

    I love my protein shakes and have one as my afternoon snack to help with that macro. I don’t see how I could ever eat enough to get all I need from food.

    I take iron too and I take mine with oj to help me absorb it better. I use to have to get infused iron. That was really hard for me because the infusion place is the same place they do chemo and my appointments sometimes came up when kids were getting chemo and it broke my heart everytime. If your iron gets really bad mine went all the way down to 9.6 you should check into infusion. <3

  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    tmbg1 wrote: »
    Just a multi vitamin each day

    Love your rubber ducky, thanks for sharing. Have a great day.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and IBS, and that is the main reason I take supplements.

    I take fiber capsules (2 in the morning and 2 at night) and 2 stool softeners and 1000 mg of ginger in a capsule daily and I am doing better with the daily constitutional than I was. (I can't eat most vegetables due to the IBS.) By doctor's orders since I stay in the house mostly, I take vitamin D, and I take a multivitamin and supplement with cranberry tablets (they help with soreness from peeing out all the water I drink!) B complex tablet, and cinnamon capsules to help with blood sugar balance. They seem to keep me from doing fine and then crashing; instead, I can be aware that I'm getting hungry and do something about it. I also supplement with xylose isomerase when necessary because I have fructose intolerance. (A capsule or two when I want a piece of fruit, chiefly.)

    Add to that some NSAIDS for the fibro pain and my psych med and I had to get a bigger pill case. But I feel better, so that's the point.

    My wife has Fibromyalgia (now mostly in remission). It's a very hard thing to deal with. One thing that helped her a lot was using a pain reliever called Mirica instead of NSAIDs. Mirica is a root derivative and a polyphenol. That along with Turmeric, Omega 3s, methyl Bs, Tart Cherry and CBD Oil helped her immensely. So did going gluten free and finding out she was allergic to cow dairy. Gradually, over around a year or so, she got much, much better. She's mostly pain free now but it wasn't easy. She also had some light acupuncture as well that helped her. There's also a massager called Purewave that is wonderful for the knots that you get. Best of wishes for you. That's hard. I've seen it first hand.