Myfitnesspal

Message Boards MFP Suggestions/Feedback
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Cutting more and exercising more would put me too low

WeightLossIsaJourneyWeightLossIsaJourney Member Posts: 5 Member Member Posts: 5 Member
Hi, I’ve lost 23 pounds so far on this app which is great, but I’m starting to hit a plateau. Cutting more calories and exercising more would put me under 1,000, which I won’t allow. Is there anything I can do without hurting my body?

Replies

• janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member, Premium Posts: 24,817 Member Member, Premium Posts: 24,817 Member
    What do you mean by "starting to hit a plateau"? How long has it been since you've lost weight and over what time period did you lose 23 pounds?
  • kao708kao708 Member Posts: 813 Member Member Posts: 813 Member
    Not sure how long your weight loss has been stalled but I found that varying my calorie net throughout the week would often help kick me off the plateau. If you're consistently logging the same net calories each day, your body could get used to that and stop letting go of the lbs. Try to switch it up, with a few days under calorie goal and a few over. Also may try some new sort of exercise that your body isn't used to in order to change things up. If you do the same things every day, you're body will get used to it and it will no longer work.
  • goal06082021goal06082021 Member Posts: 540 Member Member Posts: 540 Member
    It looks like you've only been using the app for a month - whatever you've done to drop 23 lbs in 4 weeks is probably already hurting your body (did you cut off an arm or something???). Up your calories, reset your goal to 0.5lb or 1lb per week, not the...5-6 lbs/week you've apparently been losing thus far. That's not sustainable or safe.
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member, Premium Posts: 24,817 Member Member, Premium Posts: 24,817 Member
    It looks like you've only been using the app for a month - whatever you've done to drop 23 lbs in 4 weeks is probably already hurting your body (did you cut off an arm or something???). Up your calories, reset your goal to 0.5lb or 1lb per week, not the...5-6 lbs/week you've apparently been losing thus far. That's not sustainable or safe.

Good catch. OP, if you're lost 23 pounds in a month, then you absolutely are not in a plateau.
  • WeightLossIsaJourneyWeightLossIsaJourney Member Posts: 5 Member Member Posts: 5 Member
    For all of you saying that it’s unhealthy that I’ve lost 23 pounds in a month: First of all, thank you for your concern. It’s great that there are people looking out for others and I really appreciate that. Knowing that, I recently switched from Lose it to MFP about a month ago. I started losing weight and started my diet on December 1st 2020, or about two and a half months. I personally think that that’s healthy for me and my body, I haven’t been seeing any side affects and I am pretty sure that this will be sustainable. Again, thank you all for your concern! ❤️
  • ninerbuffninerbuff Member, Greeter, Premium Posts: 44,354 Member Member, Greeter, Premium Posts: 44,354 Member
    For all of you saying that it’s unhealthy that I’ve lost 23 pounds in a month: First of all, thank you for your concern. It’s great that there are people looking out for others and I really appreciate that. Knowing that, I recently switched from Lose it to MFP about a month ago. I started losing weight and started my diet on December 1st 2020, or about two and a half months. I personally think that that’s healthy for me and my body, I haven’t been seeing any side affects and I am pretty sure that this will be sustainable. Again, thank you all for your concern! ❤️
    How much did you start out at? If it's under 150lbs, then you're starting to see the "side effect" of a slower metabolic rate due to trying to force your body to lose too fast.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• goal06082021goal06082021 Member Posts: 540 Member Member Posts: 540 Member

OK, 23 lbs in 10 weeks is MUCH more reasonable than 4 weeks, thank you for clarifying. That's still a little bit aggressive, but not "chose my least favorite limb" levels of insanely fast. You may find that this rate of loss (2-2.5 lbs per week) is getting less sustainable for you over time - that may be what's stalling you now.

If you've lost 23 pounds in 2 and a half months, you aren't in a plateau. A plateau is six weeks on the plan, with no deviations, without weight loss. You're at a high rate of loss and it's not uncommon for people who lose weight rapidly at the beginning to slow down after a few weeks.