Myfitnesspal

Message Boards MFP Suggestions/Feedback
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Calorie Math INCORRECT for Daily Allowance; MFP undercalculating!!!

Judes525Judes525 Member, Premium Posts: 3 Member Member, Premium Posts: 3 Member
I pay for premium but there’s a bug in MyFitnessPal where it UNDERCALCULATES my calories for the day and tells me I have more calories to eat. Look at the screenshots: I went over on my protein goal, met my fat goal exactly, and have 1 gram of carb left to eat. And yet it says I have 126 calories left??? 1 gram of carbohydrate is 4 calories. What exactly are those 126 calories supposed to be made of if not carb, protein, or fat?!

If you do out the math, I’ve actually eaten 2,000 calories, but it says I’ve only eaten 1,826??? I’ve eaten OVER my goal already.

Look at my math: I’ve eaten (123g protein x 4calories) + (242g carb x 4calories) + (60g fat x 9calories) = 2,000 calories!!! not 1,826 like MFP claims!!! What’s the point of paying MFP as a premium member if they can’t even do simple math right?!

yk23zeucp3pc.png
ytjei2sjzpow.png

For reference my macro and calorie goals are: 110g protein, 243g carb, 60g fat and it amounts to 1952 calories. MFP consistently tells me I have more calories left to eat than in reality. I have to do the math BY HAND and disregard what MFP tells me, SO WHAT IS THE POINT OF PAYING $49.99 a year?!
edited February 17

Replies

• durdendurden Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 664 MFP Staff Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 664 MFP Staff
    Just wanted to confirm all three of the above responses are correct.
  • socajamsocajam Member, Premium Posts: 2,600 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2,600 Member
    It's amazing the number of time I have clicked on the a food and the numbers are so wrong, it blows your mind.
    Carbs, sugar, protein etc are all wrong when I check the package. I normally make the changes and add "corrected" to the item.
    But as everyone said, you really cannot take the food items as being correct, otherwise your numbers are going to be far off.
  • norman_catesnorman_cates Member, Premium Posts: 95 Member Member, Premium Posts: 95 Member
    @Judes525 is correct. And its nothing to do with whether the macro values in a food is correct. (Well, OK, that will of course matter, but that's not the fundamental problem.)

If you set your macros in MFP premium, ie a certain amount of protein, carbs, fat, then MFP will give you a calorie value for your day. But if YOU actually do the math on what you've entered for macros, then the MFP calorie value is incorrect. Often by hundreds of calories. The problem starts right at the beginning, with MFP not providing anything actually useful for Premium. And in fact, providing WRONG information from the start.

No one should be paying MFP for Premium. They don't care to give us actually useful information, nor to let us export that information in any format that we can actually use. And they actively don't care. I have demonstrated problems to them, and also actual graphs and tools that would help everyone in their goals. And all those graphs are easily created from existing data that you have entered, and MFP holds onto. But will not then get back to you for your use.

And their support people just say that nothing will be changed.

NO ONE SHOULD BE PAYING PREMIUM TO THIS COMPANY. IT IS A SCAM.
  • cmriversidecmriverside Member Posts: 31,484 Member Member Posts: 31,484 Member
    @Judes525 is correct. And its nothing to do with whether the macro values in a food is correct. (Well, OK, that will of course matter, but that's not the fundamental problem.)

If you set your macros in MFP premium, ie a certain amount of protein, carbs, fat, then MFP will give you a calorie value for your day. But if YOU actually do the math on what you've entered for macros, then the MFP calorie value is incorrect. Often by hundreds of calories. The problem starts right at the beginning, with MFP not providing anything actually useful for Premium. And in fact, providing WRONG information from the start.

No one should be paying MFP for Premium. They don't care to give us actually useful information, nor to let us export that information in any format that we can actually use. And they actively don't care. I have demonstrated problems to them, and also actual graphs and tools that would help everyone in their goals. And all those graphs are easily created from existing data that you have entered, and MFP holds onto. But will not then get back to you for your use.

I don't know why you think this ^^

(although I do agree that paying for Premium is unnecessary, and doesn't "fix" database errors - which are the fault of individuals, not the site in general)

I posted this in your thread:
    What are you talking about?

My calorie Goal per day is 1700. My macros are set at 50C 30F 20P

That works out to:

1,700 C213 F57 P85 (copied directly from my FOOD page...) which is exactly 50/30/20 using 4g C, 9g F, 4g P

edited June 5
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 7,317 Member Member Posts: 7,317 Member
    If you are in the US and have a diet with a reasonable amount of fiber, the macros won't calculate to the cals as they don't count 4 cals per g of fiber, as you don't get 4 cals per g of fiber even though fiber is in the carb count.

Check your entries for accuracy, as that could be an issue too, but cals are otherwise what you should go by.
  • FflpnariFflpnari Member Posts: 914 Member Member Posts: 914 Member
    I go by macros and not total calories.
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member, Premium Posts: 25,744 Member Member, Premium Posts: 25,744 Member

MFP has never promised a more accurate database as part of premium membership.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 7,317 Member Member Posts: 7,317 Member
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    I go by macros and not total calories.

Total cals are likely to be more accurate. Clearly you have chosen entries where people didn't fully fill in the macros or filled them in inaccurately. If macros and cals are way off, cals are much more likely to be correct. Cals are also what governs weight loss/gain/maintenance, not macros.
    edited June 7