Myfitnesspal

Message Boards MFP Suggestions/Feedback
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Calorie Math INCORRECT for Daily Allowance; MFP undercalculating!!!

Judes525Judes525 Member, Premium Posts: 3 Member Member, Premium Posts: 3 Member
I pay for premium but there’s a bug in MyFitnessPal where it UNDERCALCULATES my calories for the day and tells me I have more calories to eat. Look at the screenshots: I went over on my protein goal, met my fat goal exactly, and have 1 gram of carb left to eat. And yet it says I have 126 calories left??? 1 gram of carbohydrate is 4 calories. What exactly are those 126 calories supposed to be made of if not carb, protein, or fat?!

If you do out the math, I’ve actually eaten 2,000 calories, but it says I’ve only eaten 1,826??? I’ve eaten OVER my goal already.

Look at my math: I’ve eaten (123g protein x 4calories) + (242g carb x 4calories) + (60g fat x 9calories) = 2,000 calories!!! not 1,826 like MFP claims!!! What’s the point of paying MFP as a premium member if they can’t even do simple math right?!

yk23zeucp3pc.png
ytjei2sjzpow.png

For reference my macro and calorie goals are: 110g protein, 243g carb, 60g fat and it amounts to 1952 calories. MFP consistently tells me I have more calories left to eat than in reality. I have to do the math BY HAND and disregard what MFP tells me, SO WHAT IS THE POINT OF PAYING $49.99 a year?!
edited February 17

Replies

• cmriversidecmriverside Member Posts: 30,891 Member Member Posts: 30,891 Member
    The problem is you are going on macros.

Macros and calories are not going to match.

Yes, they should - but they won't.

1. Foods are entered by users. They make mistakes and that will affect calculation
    2. There are going to be rounding up and rounding down errors on labeling
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member, Premium Posts: 24,817 Member Member, Premium Posts: 24,817 Member
    Is there a reason why you're assuming the macros on the entries are right and it is the calories that are wrong?

It easily could be the other way around. There's no easy way to determine HOW a database entry is incorrect, you'll have to check your individual entries to see which ones are wrong.
  • cwolfman13cwolfman13 Member Posts: 38,703 Member Member Posts: 38,703 Member
    MFP isn't calculating anything. It's showing you the information as per the entries you selected from the database. Premium uses the same database as free. Database entries are for the most part crowdsourced by users, so there are many incorrect entries.
  • durdendurden Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 502 MFP Staff Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 502 MFP Staff
    Just wanted to confirm all three of the above responses are correct.
  • socajamsocajam Member, Premium Posts: 2,537 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2,537 Member
    It's amazing the number of time I have clicked on the a food and the numbers are so wrong, it blows your mind.
    Carbs, sugar, protein etc are all wrong when I check the package. I normally make the changes and add "corrected" to the item.
    But as everyone said, you really cannot take the food items as being correct, otherwise your numbers are going to be far off.