Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Noom vs. MFP

red_ivy1211red_ivy1211 Member Posts: 10 Member Member Posts: 10 Member
Let’s hear your thoughts on using Noom and/or MFP to lose weight. What has been your pros and cons about the two apps?

Replies

• red_ivy1211red_ivy1211 Member Posts: 10 Member Member Posts: 10 Member
    @lemurcat2 I definitely agree with your take on it. Noom is offering pretty much what MFP already does but for much more money. Maybe because Noom is a newer program but I’ve also found that they do not have a lot of barcodes or foods in their database. MFP seems to have every food available and therefore it’s easier to get accurate calorie counts.
  • ninerbuffninerbuff Member, Greeter, Premium Posts: 44,375 Member Member, Greeter, Premium Posts: 44,375 Member
    @lemurcat2 I definitely agree with your take on it. Noom is offering pretty much what MFP already does but for much more money. Maybe because Noom is a newer program but I’ve also found that they do not have a lot of barcodes or foods in their database. MFP seems to have every food available and therefore it’s easier to get accurate calorie counts.
    And on MFP, there are a lot of knowledgeable people. You can get a myriad of different inputs on a question you might pose giving you more information than you may have from just one coach. I'm not saying NOOM is bad. There is evidence to show that their affirmations learning and just how they mentally approach weight loss works. You just have to pay for it. You pretty much get that for FREE here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • 0somuchbetter00somuchbetter0 Member, Premium Posts: 1,335 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1,335 Member
    I read about Noom when it first came out and the methodology reminded me a lot of what I learned by reading the Beck Diet Solution and working through the workbook. Same ideas, a lot less expensive than the Noom program. That said, it’s all about the individual. I tried Weight Watchers a million years ago and while I learned a lot, it didn’t address my overeating issues. Beck did. I’m a strong believer in tracking, so MFP works for that, but not for the CBT stuff. I’m still a work in progress, but for me what’s worked best is finding the right combination of support
  • AngBabeeAngBabee Member Posts: 8 Member Member Posts: 8 Member
    I read about Noom when it first came out and the methodology reminded me a lot of what I learned by reading the Beck Diet Solution and working through the workbook. Same ideas, a lot less expensive than the Noom program. That said, it’s all about the individual. I tried Weight Watchers a million years ago and while I learned a lot, it didn’t address my overeating issues. Beck did. I’m a strong believer in tracking, so MFP works for that, but not for the CBT stuff. I’m still a work in progress, but for me what’s worked best is finding the right combination of support

I am reading that book right now. I did the Noom one week trial. I really liked the articles and the idea of cognitive behavioral therapy, but I didn’t think anything else about that app was appealing. I’m used to MFP logging and that’s where I prefer to stay. So I didn’t end up going with Noom, but I did order the Beck diet solution and I’m working through that book right now. I like that it takes 6 to 7 weeks to get through it. Gives me a daily dose of the behavioral therapy. And for a lot less money.
  • threewinsthreewins Member Posts: 830 Member Member Posts: 830 Member
    Noom is more successful that using the myfitnesspal app/website. In other words, people lose more weight and for longer than if they were using the mfp app/website.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member, Premium Posts: 6,772 Member Member, Premium Posts: 6,772 Member
    How is that claim supported?
  • JennliftsandspinsJennliftsandspins Member Posts: 120 Member Member Posts: 120 Member
    *Didn’t read all responses.

I just did a year of Noom and found it tremendously helpful. It helped me get over that “I can’t have that in the house or I’ll eat it all” mentality which has always been my biggest hurdle. That and portion control. Noom helped me conquer food issues no other plan or amount of willpower had ever done for me before.

My year of Noom was also much cheaper than MFP’s premium plan ($92 CDN for a year). So I haven’t bothered to try the MFP premium.

I tried MFP a long time ago and it alone didn’t work for me. It wasn’t about logging and calorie counting for me. I needed to fix issues first.

The psychological aspect and daily articles and lessons on Noom were very helpful and motivating. I also like the green, yellow, red system which I still loosely use on MFP. I calculate colours and think about them before I make food purchases as well.

I finished my year and did not renew as I felt I had gotten all I could and needed from Noom. The database for logging is lacking and users have added some items under the wrong colour which is annoying. You can still use the Noom app to log as you would on MFP but it is missing so many foods and is more difficult to use (can’t copy meals to the next day, doesn’t save your meal options, etc.)

So I switched to MFP simply for the superior database.