Why do I look skinnier than I weigh?

13»

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    steveko89 wrote: »
    And the women's clothing line are good at manipulating "sizes" to help women feel good about what they are purchasing. A size 12 I believe is what a 14 was a few years ago.

This is happening with Men's clothes too. When I first got down to a healthy weight in high school I wore medium t-shirts and 32 x 34 jeans. I was relatively the same size ages 17-25 and got my suits in 38R. I started lifting at 26 and have improved my body composition quite a bit. My chest and shoulders are much broader, legs are more muscular, and waist measures about the same. I now wear smalls in short sleeve Ts but need mediums for sleeve length due to my delts. I got a new pair of UA golf pants at Christmas and my wife comments that they're noticably baggier than my other UA pants despite being the same 32x34. In jeans I'd prefer a 31x34 but those are nearly impossible to find and those numbers are no longer representative of a inches as I measure at 33" most of the time.
    Yeah I hear you. I rarely wear any other clothing but gym clothing since my life and job just revolve around it. I still buy large in everything because it still fits well. I have one suit and it's a 42R, but I had to get the pants altered for the waist size because it was way too big.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yeah, don't get me started on proportional sizing. Finding an off-the rack dress shirt that fits well is like the golden idol from Raiders of the Lost Ark. Anything that fits in the neck, chest and shoulders is a circus tent from the pits down... I'm not even that muscular.
  • supercpa999
    supercpa999 Posts: 403 Member
    Weight is relative ... if you were on the moon you would weigh less than 32 lbs but that wouldn’t mean anything. It is relative to your bone structure, density and so forth. As the other poster mentioned you do you and be happy with who you are👍
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    JustaNoob wrote: »
    Hourglass shapes can hide a lot. This is me at 5'6 when I was 220lbs:
    3q4csgffxdgl.png

It also has to do with camera angles.

Same weight... different angle:
    5a12c19d0m9c.png

Yep.

I'm 5'6 and between 180 and 185 right now. From the front I look reasonably slim but from the side it is a different story.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    JustaNoob wrote: »
    Hourglass shapes can hide a lot. This is me at 5'6 when I was 220lbs:
    3q4csgffxdgl.png

It also has to do with camera angles.

Same weight... different angle:
    5a12c19d0m9c.png

Yep.

I'm 5'6 and between 180 and 185 right now. From the front I look reasonably slim but from the side it is a different story.

I am just the opposite. Also hourglass, 178 right now at 5'8" and due to my wide hips I look WAY thinner from the side than head on. I think I look at least 20 lb heavier head on than in profile.
  • MercuryForce
    MercuryForce Posts: 104 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I either have tiny wrists or large elbow. "Unfortunately, the wrist and elbow methods do not agree with each other. The wrist method says that you have a thin body frame while the elbow method says that you have a broad body frame." I'd have to go down a full half inch for it to consider me medium, and 1" for it to consider both thin. I know the measurement is probably off by a little trying to do it myself, but not that much.

Honestly, I'm probably somewhere in the middle, leaning broad. I just have tiny hands and wrists, which is confusing because the rest of me isn't tiny.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    edited March 2021
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I either have tiny wrists or large elbow. "Unfortunately, the wrist and elbow methods do not agree with each other. The wrist method says that you have a thin body frame while the elbow method says that you have a broad body frame." I'd have to go down a full half inch for it to consider me medium, and 1" for it to consider both thin. I know the measurement is probably off by a little trying to do it myself, but not that much.

Honestly, I'm probably somewhere in the middle, leaning broad. I just have tiny hands and wrists, which is confusing because the rest of me isn't tiny.

FWIW, I'm another person who doesn't find this kind of "calculator" very helpful. My elbows and wrists read as broad (at BMI around 20, 5'5", 125 pounds - let alone when I was obese). I just have big hands and arms: My ring size, when thin, is 10. Most women's rings don't even come that large.

However, my hips are narrow, and the amount of fat & meat it takes to wrap hips is much more relevant than wrist or elbow size. On top of that, I had small breasts even when obese, and now have none (post mastectomies for breast cancer, no reconstruction). Pelvic width and (for women) breast size is much more influential when it comes to body fat and body weight than wrists or elbows: At best they're a *possible* indication.

If someone has a very average body configuration, maybe these things can give some insight . . . but they can also seriously mislead.
  • newmantjn
    newmantjn Posts: 125 Member
    Regarding goal weight - who cares? If you look in the mirror, get on a scale or whatever and decide you need to lose weight, then lose some weight. Be done when you decide to be done, not when it just gets to be too tiresome to continue.
  • gana2win
    gana2win Posts: 14 Member
    My best friend and I weigh with-in 6 lbs of each other.
    I am taller.. Me, 5' 7" at 162lbs. I wear a size 12 in pants, large or extra large in tops.
    My friend, 5' 5" at 168 lbs. She wears a size 8 or 10 in pants and a medium, or sometimes a small in tops.
    When we were shopping at the Gap recently, she kept handing me size medium tops to try on.
    I had to remind her that her 36 A boobs and my 36 DD will not fit in the same sized tops.
    Though she is shorter than me by 2 inches and out weighs me by 5-6lbs, we are not built the same.
    She looks smaller, as if she weighs less and I look heavier. Go figure.
    Going by weight alone is not the only indicator of how a person's body looks. Body composition is different for everyone.
    We don't all fit in the same cookie mold.

• newmantjn
    newmantjn Posts: 125 Member
    newmantjn wrote: »
    If you look in the mirror, get on a scale or whatever and decide you need to lose weight, then lose some weight.
    I'll somewhat disagree here. There are many people who look in the mirror and feel fine, till they may see pictures or videos of themselves.

Ok...but..... "whatever" encompasses quite a bit. Pictures, sports performances etc., etc.

Bottom line, if you think you need to lose weight, you probably do. (Eating orders aside)
  • gillexplores
    gillexplores Posts: 151 Member
    edited March 2021
    [/quote] For anyone (regardless of height or weight or gender) as long as you know you lean mass and the % of bodyfat you wish to be, you can find your target weight with this formula:

LEAN MASS divided by 1 minus desired body fat %

IE: Lean mass 100lbs desired body fat % is 20%

1- 20% or .20 = 80% or .80

Now apply formula

100 divided by .80 = 125lb

So target weight would be 125lbs if one wanted to be 20% body fat with a lean mass of 100lbs

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png[/quote]

There's also this.. Which I'm guessing just uses the same formula: fat2fittools.com/tools/ibw/

Edit: Me trying to quote you just really isn't working, sorry.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I'm not buying new clothes at the moment since I'm optimistic that my currently fitting things won't in a short time, but that said I think if you look well put together and know how to dress for your shape and size, it's likely that people will underestimate your weight. Personally I'm not a fan of the "athleisure" look, except when actually exercising, because I just don't think it's very flattering on a lot of people. I know it's definitely not on me!

I think there's a lot of value in dressing well. I know for me, if I take the time to take care of myself as far as clothing, hair, etc (even if I'm not leaving the house), I'm much more likely to take care of myself as far as food, exercise, sleep. YMMV, of course. :)