Myfitnesspal

Message Boards MFP Suggestions/Feedback
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Inclusive Gender Selection (LGBTQ+ | Trans Rights)! 🏳‍🌈

FoxtoneFoxtone Member Posts: 9 Member Member Posts: 9 Member
It is 2021 and, to my knowledge, there is little in terms of an active community and profound tools for the weight-loss side of programs and services, and I believe MyFitnessPal could thoroughly benefit by making at least one LGBTQ+ friendly adjustment.

Using myself as an example, I am a transgendered man. My biological body is female, so I base my calorie and nutrient adjustments on that. Unfortunately, as I am using this platform to be practical, the only gender choice is 'Male' or 'Female.' This is displayed boldly on my profile, without the ability to at least hide it (not my first choice of action, as I am very proud of who I am). Selecting 'Male' adds confusion to my progress-keeping, and it does not allow me to publish a diary if I am anything below 1,200 calories. A female's allowance is at least 1,000 calories. My goal is 1,200 calories per day, as advised by my dietician, but even 1,998 calories will not allow me to post it.

Please give us the option to select both biological sex and gender identity; adding inclusion for trans men, trans women, non-binary, and gender-fluid individuals. Allow our calorie/nutrient suggestions to be based on biological sex, and our profile's gender to be more inclusive (At the very minimum Male, Female, Other, and Prefer not to say).

There are plenty I'd love to endorse and promote this website towards, however hesitant I am given the archaic choices in profile display. Beauty and health come in all shapes and forms, and even a small step towards inclusivity can bring in new, optimistic customers!

Replies

• goal06082021goal06082021 Member Posts: 1,114 Member Member Posts: 1,114 Member
    I do support the idea of changing the displayed gender on the profile.

To your second paragraph's point, though, you don't actually have to close your diary. It doesn't affect anything if you do, or don't. It's 100% symbolic - maybe closing your diary reinforces that Eating Time Is Over Now for you, and if it does, that's great for you. In the absence of a fix that keeps it from kvetching at you for closing under 1200 while being marked Female, maybe just create a food called "Fake Calories" or something and log the difference to get you to the threshold so you can close your diary if you want to.

The "if every day were like today" message you get is also pretty much meaningless - there are so many more variables that go into what made today the way it was, even if you ate the exact same foods and did not deviate by so much as a gram for 35 consecutive days, there's no guarantee you would weigh whatever it says. Maybe you moved more or less in those intervening 5 weeks; maybe you're more or less hydrated; for people with menstrual cycles, you're almost definitely not going to be in the same place in your cycle 5 weeks from now, and the math it's doing is not accounting for those hormonal fluctuations, because it can't. It's literally multiplying today's deficit by 35 days to get your total deficit over that span of time, dividing that by 3500 calories per pound of fat to approximate the weight lost by not eating that many calories, and subtracting that number from your current reported weight.
  • lkpduckylkpducky Member Posts: 13,066 Member Member Posts: 13,066 Member
    A fill in the blank box for the way you describe your gender identity (that would show in your profile, as in how you want others to get to know you, or also with the option not to show if you don't want)? that would not affect the calories and exercise part?
    edited March 16
  • dolorsitdolorsit Member Posts: 92 Member Member Posts: 92 Member
    Just as a temporary workaround, if you want to be able to complete your entry every day in order to post to your newsfeed or get the 5-week prediction, you could create a fake food entry and counterbalance it with a fake exercise entry of the same calorie count, of, say, 200 or 300 cals.
  • SaturnsbestMoonSaturnsbestMoon Member Posts: 25 Member Member Posts: 25 Member
    I love this!!! Also hoping to see the LGBTQ+ community grow on MFP!!
  • mike_langloismike_langlois Member Posts: 5 Member Member Posts: 5 Member
    There are plenty I'd love to endorse and promote this website towards, however hesitant I am given the archaic choices in profile display. Beauty and health come in all shapes and forms, and even a small step towards inclusivity can bring in new, optimistic customers!

I agree with your suggestion 100%, but to not recommend MFP to someone because of a drop down list out of date seems a bit far. Unless that was just hyperbole to drive home your suggestion?