Myfitnesspal

Message Boards MFP Suggestions/Feedback
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Share Your Experience: Pandemic Habits & What Comes Next

2»

Replies

• NettabeeNettabee Member, Premium Posts: 291 Member Member, Premium Posts: 291 Member
    How has the pandemic affected your nutrition & fitness habits?

I was in my last semester of college and even though I am obese I was extremely active when it came to walking, participating in events and dancing. The pandemic not only ruined my last semester, I became a caregiver for most of the year. I enjoyed being back home close to family but my struggles with adhd made it extremely hard to stay focused. A year later I have gained about 20 pounds, I unexpectedly lost my sweet sweet grandmother to cancer, and aunt to unknown causes, I’m STILL working on my senior research proposal, and my mental health was in the trash.

I’m just now starting to regain some control of my life with the the help of counseling and LOTS of self care. I figured I can’t control a lot of things but I can control what I put in my mouth. So that is helping so far.

Which habits do you want to keep or change as we inch toward “normal”?

My physical therapist gave me a walking program last week that I semi started. But now that my mood is a little better I plan to stick to it and get back in the gym more often to weight train.

What do you look forward to most?

When we no longer need masks and music concerts! Indoor, outdoor, lawn seating, close to stage, I MISS IT ALL!
  • Sand_TIgerSand_TIger Member Posts: 545 Member Member Posts: 545 Member

Working from home has eliminated impulse buying junk food, snacking in the car, company potlucks, and getting baked goods from people at work. I have a heck of a protein bar habit but in general my macros are on point and I've made goal 95% of the time or better. I've also gotten a lot better at cooking and learned some new skills!

With fitness, I may not work out enough to suit myself but I still exercise more than ever before - mostly using things like exercise bands, weights, a mini stepper, calisthenics, and the pool in summer. I am much more inclined to take small "movement snacks" in between tasks at work. The time saved by working from home has been an absolute game changer and I will be sad to go back to the office.

I'd love to continue working from home because it's been fun being able to cook my own lunch every day. So I'll probably start doing a lot of meal prep.

I look forward to seeing small businesses recover and other people's livelihoods return. For myself, I kind of like being home all the time.
  • LAT1963LAT1963 Member Posts: 1,396 Member Member Posts: 1,396 Member
    Nobody close to me has died of covid, at least so far.

Some relatives who live far away and work in healthcare caught covid, not from work, but from their kid who brought it home from a job at McDonalds. None were hospitalized or became long haulers.

I had health issues before the pandemic that started to improve, so I have been focused on recovering my health and endurance for walking during the pandemic. However I started this effort before the pandemic. The pandemic has affected me mostly in that now I have to share my walking routes with more people, as more folk are home during the day and going on walks to avoid going stir-crazy.

It has also made me feel less guilty for not looking for work, which I'm going to have to do now that the pandemic is ending.
  • OliveSaltOliveSalt Member Posts: 47 Member Member Posts: 47 Member
    Pre-pandemic: We could never give up dining out, its our life!!

Now: Havent been out to a restaurant in a full year, lost 20 lbs just by not eating out and saving a ton of $$

Post-pandemic: Brunch every weekend!! Meet me at the diner!!
  • Ja8331jlJa8331jl Member, Premium Posts: 1 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1 Member
    Alex wrote: »
    We Want to Hear From You!

How has the pandemic affected your habits?

The past year has challenged and changed us all in different ways, health and fitness habits included. While stress has led many people to experience undesired weight or sleep changes, the change of pace and perspective has also sparked healthy lifestyle habits.

As we look back on the year, and begin to imagine the possibilities ahead, we’d love to hear about YOUR experience.

Share in the thread below!
    • How has the pandemic affected your nutrition & fitness habits?
    • Which habits do you want to keep or change as we inch toward “normal”?
    • What do you look forward to most?

We look forward to hearing from you!
    I’ve decided to exercise because I’ve gained some weight I also am the kind of person with a stomach that loves to monitor how much food I eat

• LietchiLietchi Member Posts: 1,955 Member Member Posts: 1,955 Member
    Nutrition habits:
    - I struggled a bit the first few weeks, working from home full-time. At work, I could only eat what I brought to work, so having access to a fully stocked fridge and pantry during working hours was a (tempting) change. In the beginning I often found myself with few calories left for dinner.
    However, I soon implemented fixed mealtimes to avoid grazing and I was back on track quickly.
    - No more tempting snacks brought in by co-workers to celebrate birthdays etc.
    - One of the biggest changes was starting to eat breakfast again. I used to skip breakfast often since I would still get hungry before lunch if I ate (breakfast at 8-8.30AM). and it left me fewer calories for the rest of the day. I now start work later than before and can eat breakfast at 9.30AM, which suits me better.
    - Our homecooked meal 'rhythm' used to be to cook one evening out of two, with leftovers for me the next day for lunch at work, while my BF ate a warm meal at work (cafeteria). We now always eat a bread meal at lunch, a warm meal in the evening. It's also less stressful to cook a meal in the evening, since we don't have the commute to contend with.

Fitness habits:
    - it's a lot easier to work out before dinner, not having to commute. I used to exercise after dinner (but that wasn't ideal for running or indoor rowing).
    - My step count plummeted at the beginning of lockdown (no more commute) but I quickly started a routine of doing laps around the living room while checking my mail, the MFP boards, etc. on my phone or watching TV. I now get at least 4000 steps in before even starting my work day.

Habits to keep or change when going back to normal:
    - I'd love to keep up my exercise routine (before dinner), but I'm not sure how realistic that is if we have to go back to the office. It'll depend on how much we can work from home (before the pandemic, it was limited to 1 day per week). I might need to start planning my exercise (I don't have a real routine currently) and implement a stricter schedule (leaving work early on workout days)
    - I'll need to start preparing lunch again (leftovers or bread and toppings) to avoid the temptation of buying (high calorie) sandwiches
    - I'll most likely keep my routine of walking in my living room while on my phone/watching TV, but to a smaller extent
    - Not sure what I'll do about breakfast yet, start skipping it again or not.

Looking forward to:
    - Less boring times. Working from home full-time is monotonous and tedious.
    - Chatting with coworkers spontaneously, not just when I need something from them!
    - Perhaps a few compliments from co-workers on my weight loss. Since they haven't seen me (properly) in a year, the difference should be very noticeable.
    edited March 29
  • kendallpeak101kendallpeak101 Member, Premium Posts: 4 Member Member, Premium Posts: 4 Member
    Nutritional habits:
    I was doing pretty well from March, 2020-October, 2020 when my kids and I went to FL for a trip we paid for before the pandemic started and we would’ve lost almost $3k on if we hadn’t gone. I was dreading the trip and it was stressful the entire time. When I get stressed and overwhelmed and feel out of control, I overeat. I stopped tracking because it was a “vacation” and I told myself I would get back to it when I got home. I’d formed these habits since March and I knew I was good for it. Well, I didn’t get back to it. I tried and tried, but I would eat what I felt like whenever I wanted and only logged things if I could find them in quick search or scan, and I cook a lot, so there’s recipes I didn’t want to type in.

Fitness habits
    I took up running in April 2020 and continued through until October 2020 when my hip and knees were injured from the impact. I had begun running nonstop 10k when that happened. My trip was right when that happened too. When I got back from the trip, everything was still hurting when I’d run. So I lost my motivation because running was my favorite thing to do and was my “ME TIME” away from my stresses. My husband got me a recumbent bike for Christmas and the weather just started getting good enough for bike riding here in Northern Illinois. So I’m hoping that this will be a good replacement for me.

Habits to keep/change when back to normal
    Definitely want to keep being outside and active no matter how the weather is as long as it’s not dangerous (ie. polar vortex, lightning, tornadoes, etc.). I also want to stay consistent with logging everything I eat and drink and focus on better food for me and my family.

Looking forward to:
    Taking my young kids to museums, indoor play playgrounds/trampoline parks, play dates with other people for a change, going out with friends and date nights with my husband, traveling!!! Doing things where I’m not living in fear of contracting a potentially deadly virus I can’t see! Grocery shopping!!! Swimming, getting my toddler enrolled in indoor swim lessons.
  • feroshusavocadoferoshusavocado Member Posts: 1 Member Member Posts: 1 Member
    I used the gyms closing as an excuse to not workout.

I discovered yoga as an awesome way to quell my anxiety about the pandemic.

I just realized mid-March 2021 that I would qualify for the vaccine in the next stage of rollout in my province, due to being severely obese. So I guess the pandemic has helped me quick-start my goals again. I am serious about getting in better overall health.
  • sk8trsandy7615sk8trsandy7615 Member Posts: 2 Member Member Posts: 2 Member
    Hi All, Sandy here, checking in from Southern California. Here are my responses:

1. Forced slowing down of life has allowed me to listen to my body, which in turn took me to the cardiologist in May 2020, who subsequently diagnosed me with coronary artery disease and the placement of three stents, the most-recent of which occurred in February 2021. 2. I quit drinking (I only like beer and I drank beer on the weekends as my reward for a hard week's work my entire working career 30+ years), but I've wanted to change that habit for years and I wanted no part of possibly increasing beer consumption due to quarantine which was happening to many people, so I quit. 3. I've been able to be mindful of emotions and habits both positive and negative which affect my eating/weight. 4. I closed my Facebook account, which I've had since October 2008, realizing that in some weird way, it was hindering me from reaching my full life, mental and physical health, and fitness potential. Viewing and comparing others' habits, foods, drinks, opinions, seeing all the advertisements, etc. kept me in a constant state of apathy concerning my habits, and made it easier for me to justify my lack of willpower, overeating, not exercising, etc. Plus, I prefer direct contact with those I call friends. 5. I take my two pups for daily walks. I only used to take them for walks on the weekends since I was working/commuting 12 hours a day, but now I have the time and make the time to walk them daily.

Being mindful and present of my emotions; staying in tune with my body; stay beer free; stay off of social media; walk my pups daily;

Being able to visit my Mom in her nursing home and giving her a great big hug and kiss. I haven't seen her in person since May 2020. Getting to hug my family and friends and hang out with everyone. Being able to dine at a restaurant, go to a grocery store, get a pedicure, go to a movie, and just live life without having to stop and ask myself if going out is worth risking my life.
  • KatieHall77KatieHall77 Member Posts: 123 Member Member Posts: 123 Member

I was incredibly lucky that I and my family did not come down with Covid. I heard horror stories about what happened in other families and my heart goes out to them. We were being very careful, but I know that sometimes that wasn't enough. Sometime during the pandemic, I gained the Covid-19 lbs. When the pandemic shutdowns and food shortages began, we were relatively lucky because have a very well-stocked pantry, a big garden with plenty of fruit trees, and a flock of laying chickens. After watching two women fighting over the last pound of beef in the grocery store, I stopped letting my child come shopping with me, and we lived mostly off of our pantry and garden. The garden at least provided some exercise as well as veggies, but I was fighting the fattest woodchuck to keep any beans or peas. I did venture to the stores when I had to, but the behavior of other people really showed me a side of human nature that I wish I hadn't seen. I avoided the stores as much as possible. I made meals that would make the family happy, and take their minds off of the events. Pancakes with maple syrup, cakes, cookies, all sorts of stuff I shouldn't eat... So I gained almost twenty pounds. BUT, now I'm getting back on track and that's why I'm here again.

In the spring and right into the fall, the whole family got outdoors for recreational time. We all got bikes, and explored miles of great trails that we never really knew we had in our own neighborhood. We all got cross country skis and got out in the wintertime too. It was fun and great exercise. We live in a very rural area of a very rural state- and it made me feel fortunate to see more of the natural beauty. I hope we can continue to do this.

Seeing extended family, it's been over a year since we saw the grandparents, zoom was helpful but not quite the same... Also traveling again at some point in the future. It's been so long since I've been to a real city; I miss the amazement of seeing public infrastructure and things like museums, restaurants, and airports.
  • amyelizbethamyelizbeth Member Posts: 58 Member Member Posts: 58 Member

Before the pandemic I was already struggling a little with my nutrition and fitness habits. I was in the middle of finishing up a huge project for college, on top of also working at my part time job and trying to pass my driving test. So my stress levels were high and I already had a hard time dealing with my nutrition and fitness. When the pandemic hit I couldn't go anywhere. I suffer from asthma and live with someone who is at a high risk as well as someone else who is a carer so for a while going out was not an option. Then due to stress from work and my mental health taking a nosedive, I had to take time off of work for 3 weeks and during that time I didn't do anything. I lay in bed most of the time and barely wanted to do anything.

I have slowly started to workout a little bit more, even if it's just going out for a short walk.

I do want to get back into looking after myself again. I haven't been for so long. I also haven't been very consistent when it comes to logging on here either and I need to start doing it again. I would like to continue going out for walks more. I enjoy doing them and view them as a little bit of me time.

I did, however, take up journaling during the pandemic and it's been great so far! I've been doing it for 4 months and it's really helped me. I do want to continue doing that for as long as I can.

Being able to see my friends again. Me and my friends have been able to video chat and catch up that way, but it isn't the same as seeing each other in person and doing our usual movie nights. I also can't wait to be able to go to concerts again. I miss being able to see live shows and even having a little day out in the city.

• jenilla1jenilla1 Member Posts: 10,567 Member Member Posts: 10,567 Member

...When the pandemic shutdowns and food shortages began, we were relatively lucky because have a very well-stocked pantry, a big garden with plenty of fruit trees, and a flock of laying chickens. After watching two women fighting over the last pound of beef in the grocery store, I stopped letting my child come shopping with me, and we lived mostly off of our pantry and garden...I did venture to the stores when I had to, but the behavior of other people really showed me a side of human nature that I wish I hadn't seen. I avoided the stores as much as possible. ...

Wow! Where do you live? That sounds kind of scary. I never noticed any food shortages, but then again, I don't eat meat, so I wouldn't have been in that area of the store to have seen any meat fights. There was always plenty of the kinds of foods that I eat. Plus, I also keep a well-stocked pantry. I hardly needed to go out in those first few weeks anyway. There was definitely some low inventory on the toilet paper (although I had plenty and never needed it while there was a shortage), hand sanitizer, certain cleaning products and alcohol (not the drinking kind.) Where I live (moderately populated suburban Southern California) the people are kinda chill and everyone has been relatively well-behaved. I don't like seeing the ugly side of people, either, so I'm glad I didn't have to witness it.
  • deniserzajdeniserzaj Member Posts: 6 Member Member Posts: 6 Member
    I forgot to add what I am looking forward to. I am very fortunate to have been able to socialize at work with my co workers. I have been able to socialize and have dinners with friends...being normal is more than important . We need companionship and that is part of who we are are humans. I did have to opportunity to see my son and spend time with him. I am looking forward to a new career after 30 years in my field of healthcare. I am dedicating the next phase of my life working in mental health. It is very needed and I am excited. Outside of work I am looking forward to the spring and being able to plant my herbs and veggies. fighting with the deer over who gets the first tomato (lol) and enjoying having friends/family over for a BBQ this year outside in my backyard...
  • GeocitiesuserGeocitiesuser Member Posts: 1,429 Member Member Posts: 1,429 Member
    - How has the pandemic affected your nutrition & fitness habits?

I stopped moving. I no longer left the house to go to work. I began having all of my groceries delivered. I wasn't exercising, and felt uncomfortable to go outside. It completely destroyed any semblance of good health I had.

- Which habits do you want to keep or change as we inch toward “normal”?

None. Zero. I don't understand how anyone has taken this in stride

- What do you look forward to most?

Not wearing a mask
  • DeterminedFee201426DeterminedFee201426 Member, Premium Posts: 841 Member Member, Premium Posts: 841 Member
    Alex wrote: »
    We Want to Hear From You!

The past year has challenged and changed us all in different ways, health and fitness habits included. While stress has led many people to experience undesired weight or sleep changes, the change of pace and perspective has also sparked healthy lifestyle habits.

As we look back on the year, and begin to imagine the possibilities ahead, we’d love to hear about YOUR experience.

Share in the thread below!
    • How has the pandemic affected your nutrition & fitness habits?
    • Which habits do you want to keep or change as we inch toward “normal”?
    • What do you look forward to most?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Nutrition and fitness habits improved overall.
    I want to keep all my habits.
    Look forward to being able, to go to more pubic places again. I want to do swim classes. they're not open where I live at yet but hopefully soon.
  • RemGritRemGrit Member Posts: 2 Member Member Posts: 2 Member

As a non-traditional student living on campus, it has been very hard. Part of that was how I responded to COVID, with food as comfort rather than fuel and a touch of depression, so I just wanted to hunker down and be safe.

My life became the epitome of sedentary, no longer needing to walk to classes, spending hours before the computer screen both in class and studying. I lost motivation to do the simplest exercise. If I was not eating, I was shopping online for things I did not really need.

Recently, with the weather change and the hope that we have at least reached the corner, if we have not actually turned it, I am once again walking daily and back to tracking my food. Due to a shoulder injury, I am also doing a bit of strength work. I will keep these current habits.

I am looking forward to meeting my grand-nephews, who were both born during the pandemic, along with my grand-niece, who has moved from a toddler to a five-year-old. I am also looking forward to seeing my parents, who thankfully made it through the pandemic safely. All this will only be possible once I get the vaccine. I am grateful that my cousin, an ER Doctor, will be safer as the case counts go down.

Honestly, I look forward to friends and family being able to see each other in person and for our government to focus on the issues of our times like racial injustice, the ever-growing divide between the haves and have nots, and securing our infrastructure both physically and from cyber attacks.
  • arabella5570arabella5570 Member Posts: 4 Member Member Posts: 4 Member
    The pandemic really hit me hard. I had just moved back to WI, from NYC. Was looking forward to a little quiet in order to reset my life goals, but maaaannnn +1 year of isolation was not what I was after. I lost my regular FT job as expected at the end of March 2020, but what I didn't expect was how difficult it was/is to find FT work. I was unemployed x10 weeks before my NYC employer brought me back in a consulting role. From a mental health perspective, I've been overwhelmed by self doubt, depression and anxiety. I've turned even more to food as an outlet and have become very sedentary. But with the increasing number of folks getting vaccinated, and with me set to be fully vaccinated myself by the end of April, I'm hoping life will return to something resembling normal. And I want to be able to enjoy it! So here I am, starting again, intending to improve my health.