Fitbit and logging question

I’m new to using a Fitbit and this app together. I’m trying to figure out if I’m doing it correctly. I have them linked but this morning it did not show my walk on the app. It recognized the steps but not the actual walk. I logged it but now I’m wondering if that’s double logging since Fitbit is telling the app how many calories I’ve burned already.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,100 Member
    Fitbit doesn't send over individual workouts. The calories are simply included in your calorie adjustment. So yes, logging your walk on MFP is double counting.
  • ashleighhayes8225
    ashleighhayes8225 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Actually no - logging on MFP doesn't double log it.
    If you got the start time and duration correct.

Before MFP does the math for adjustment, it subtracts any workouts it knows about, assuming the daily calorie burn from the tracker contains the same (because it would have sent the workout out to it).

But logging on MFP does cause a new record to have to be sent to the tracker, tracker has to update it's records (even if the same as what it had), and then new info has to be sent back to MFP (which could be the same).
    With sync issues not uncommon - logging on MFP causes 2 more required syncs.

And your Fitbit exercise diary will contain the original workout, and the synced in one. Also not double-counted there. The latest added is always the data contained in the daily totals.

If you tap and hold on the line in your MFP exercise diary for Fitbit adjustment - you'll see a line regarding daily burn from Fitbit, and then estimated daily burn from MFP along with any workouts it knows about.

It would be as follows say:
    Fitbit 2300 - 2200 MFP total (2000 MFP base + 200 workout) = 100 cal adjustment.

Base eating goal say 1500 + 100 adjustment + 200 workout = 1800 new eating goal.
    Giving a 500 cal deficit still.

No double-counting unless you entered workout on MFP as am when it was pm and created a whole other workout.
  • ashleighhayes8225
    ashleighhayes8225 Posts: 3 Member
    That makes sense, thank you