Myfitnesspal

Message Boards MFP Suggestions/Feedback
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

what's with the "if every day was like today, you'd weigh yada yada in 5 weeks"?

chublet25chublet25 Member Posts: 35 Member Member Posts: 35 Member
It makes no sense. I am losing at least half a pound a day, yet it claims that I'll only drop 7 pounds in the next 5 weeks if every day was like today. I realize it won't happen that I will lose 7 days/week x 5 weeks x 0.5 pounds per day = 17.5 pounds, but that's what I would weigh if every day was like today. What's with the math? What is this based on? I have set this up to lose 2 pounds per week, and I am eating no more than my allotted calories.

Replies

• cmriversidecmriverside Member Posts: 31,133 Member Member Posts: 31,133 Member
    It's a gimmick, and it's based on when you click it, what your calories are THAT MOMENT when you click it. Plus, you may have been given a goal that is less than 2 pounds per week, based on your current stats.

It will only give you 1200 as the very lowest calories. It may be that you cannot lose 2 pounds per week at 1200 calories, so it has adjusted your weight loss projection to take that into account.

edited March 30
  • chublet25chublet25 Member Posts: 35 Member Member Posts: 35 Member
    Thanks, that makes sense as an explanation. They have set my calorie allotment at 1200, so that must be it. I must be set to lose only a little over a pound per week. Thank you!
  • cmriversidecmriverside Member Posts: 31,133 Member Member Posts: 31,133 Member
    And your math equation is wrong.

Go to Goals and set it to "Maintain current weight." See what it gives you. Then your calorie deficit would be:

3500 calories = 1 pound of weight change
    For 1 pound loss per week, that would be 3500 divided by 7 days = 500 - - - - so 500 calories fewer per day.

To lose one pound per week, subtract 500 from your Maintenance calories.

I don't know how you got "0.5 pound per day." You're not going to lose 0.5 pounds per day...
    edited March 30
  • LisaGetsMovingLisaGetsMoving Member Posts: 540 Member Member Posts: 540 Member
    I don't mind that it give me that estimate/predictions based on the data I've input. It's nice to see a lower number, even if it's future oriented. I'm at the number it said I would be about 6 weeks ago so it's fairly close.

Go to Goals and set it to "Maintain current weight." See what it gives you. Then your calorie deficit would be:

For 1 pound loss per week, that would be 3500 divided by 7 days = 500 - - - - so 500 calories fewer per day.

I don't know how you got "0.5 pound per day." You're not going to lose 0.5 pounds per day...

That wasn't very nice. I didn't deserve that reply. I SAID that I was not going to lose 0.5 pounds per day long term, but that I had been consistently losing half a pound a day so far, if you had bothered to read it more carefully instead of answering as you did! My math equation for losing 0.5 pounds per day for 5 weeks WAS correct and I clearly stated what it was. So you didn't need to act all know-it-all and tell me that I wasn't going to lose 0.5 pounds per day. Not appreciated.

• socajamsocajam Member, Premium Posts: 2,555 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2,555 Member
    chublet25 wrote: »

That wasn't very nice. I didn't deserve that reply. I SAID that I was not going to lose 0.5 pounds per day long term, but that I had been consistently losing half a pound a day so far, if you had bothered to read it more carefully instead of answering as you did! My math equation for losing 0.5 pounds per day for 5 weeks WAS correct and I clearly stated what it was. So you didn't need to act all know-it-all and tell me that I wasn't going to lose 0.5 pounds per day. Not appreciated.

You are chatising cmriverside for not reply nicely to you.
    But on the other hand, one would have thought that you would have done better in replying
  • Sportertje354Sportertje354 Member, Premium Posts: 33 Member Member, Premium Posts: 33 Member
    Regardless, if you are losing half a pound a day, you might be losing too much too quick, and may lose muscle and water besides fat

Recommended maximum generally is about 1-2 pounds a week

So, u could be becoming dehydrated and stuff, which may kick you down the road

I think myfitnesspal has some safe guards for minimum amounts of food so it won't calculate below that
  • CyulrichsenCyulrichsen Member Posts: 9 Member Member Posts: 9 Member
    I really think it depends were your starting point is, the heavier you are the more you take off, especially in the beginning!
    I think it's a little much, socojam, to get chastised for calling out somebody for being rude to me. They had it coming.

• socajamsocajam Member, Premium Posts: 2,555 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2,555 Member
    chublet25 wrote: »
    I think it's a little much, socojam, to get chastised for calling out somebody for being rude to me. They had it coming.

You calling them out for being "so-called rude" to you and you actually being rude to them - how does it justify your action?

Also, if explaining something to you is being rude, well there are a lot of rude people on MFP.