Myfitnesspal

Message Boards MFP Suggestions/Feedback
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Exercise calories calculated incorrectly

aburr1801aburr1801 Member Posts: 5 Member Member Posts: 5 Member
Can someone explain to me how mfp calculates exercise calories? One day I had 8,246 steps and it gave me 750 calories earned. Another day I had 8,302 steps and it gave me 558 calories earned. And then one day I had 9,076 steps and it gave me 639 calories earned. None of this is adding up correctly. I haven't changed any settings or goal weights or activity level. Is anyone else having this problem? How is it corrected?

Replies

• cmriversidecmriverside Member Posts: 31,251 Member Member Posts: 31,251 Member
    Your steps and your calories....are they being synced over from some device? If so, which device?
  • aburr1801aburr1801 Member Posts: 5 Member Member Posts: 5 Member
    It's being synced from a Fitbit
  • cwolfman13cwolfman13 Member Posts: 39,105 Member Member Posts: 39,105 Member
    aburr1801 wrote: »
    It's being synced from a Fitbit

Your Fitbit isn't syncing over calories for steps or any specific exercise. When you have a device like Fitbit synced, any adjustment is to reconcile activity level achieved per your device to the activity level you selected in MFP. Fitbit is looking at a "global" picture, not this many steps or that particular exercise or whatever. Your Fitbit is doing the adjusting...MFP isn't calculating anything.
  • aburr1801aburr1801 Member Posts: 5 Member Member Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you for your input. I think I understand what you're saying. Mfp only calculates the number of calories you need to maintain for your age, gender, weight, and activity level. Fitbit I believe calculates calories burned based on steps, type of activity, and intensity of activity. Those excess calories burned that are in excess of my daily gold calorie in MFP are added to my exercise calories in MFP. Sounds like the problem is with Fitbit's calculation of my calories burned. I gained 10lbs and didn't even eat in excess of my daily calories or additional exercise calories. I couldn't figure out what the problem was since it's been working fine for the last year and I've never fluctuated more than 5 lbs. Yes that's what I get for trusting an app!
    As a 6 ft 1" man MFP says to maintain 178 pounds I need 2150 calories a day. Maybe I should take whatever Fitbit says are excess calories and cut it in half? For example if I burn 3150 calories on a day instead of giving myself an additional 1000 to eat or drink maybe just give myself 500?