Less than 4 weeks in but stalled for the last 9 days

2»

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    lmf1012 wrote: »
    3. My period is not an issue... I am somewhere on the menopause timeline because it is super infrequent

I think that makes water weight 'weirdness' even more likely, actually, but it won't be as predictable/regular as for women not yet in perimenopause?
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    3. My period is not an issue... I am somewhere on the menopause timeline because it is super infrequent

I think that makes water weight 'weirdness' even more likely, actually, but it won't be as predictable/regular as for women not yet in perimenopause?

Yep, I'm also Perimenopausal. The big sign my period is about to show up is a stall followed by an abrupt loss on the scale. It's not the physical act that does it, it's hormones. And peri is like the epitome of hormones gone wild, LOL.
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Hi @Imf1012, if it is any consolation, I’ve been here around 9 weeks and for the previous three weeks I have battled with a 1.2 lb gain, partial loss & gain again and then this week lost 3lb!
    The weighing scales make no sense ... but CICO works! You won’t want to hear this again, but patience is key, along with everything else you are doing
    Wishing you well & I hope the scale moves in the right direction for you soon 🙂
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,965 Member
    Some additional information as I have read through all of the comments:

1. I have not done measurements (I agree I need to do this) but there is no obvious evidence of inches lost - my clothes fit essentially the same, maybe slightly less snug, but again barely noticeable. I do not really think I am losing inches while the scale remains the same
    2. I eat relatively low carb and limit those carbs to berries, sweet potatoes and whole grain bread
    4. Edited to add: I do use a trending app, which is the only reason I am weighing daily.

Thanks everyone for the comments - the patience thing is what I definitely struggle with especially when I think I am doing everything right.

If your body happens to be queueing up one of those infrequent ones, it could be a factor. (I've seen women here say peri was worse for water weight fluctuations, more unpredictable/extreme than when in regular cycles. I have no experience, personally - I went from pre-menopausal to menopause in one month due to chemotherapy, then took anti-estrogen drugs for years (sort of a hyper-menopause state.)

Did anyone link this yet, in case you haven't already read it? So useful.

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

Unfortunately, I think you're right in your implication that patience is the answer. Hang in there!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Yeah patience.

Look at what you expected to be at vs what you saw.

I am the same height and wanted to lose 1 pound a week. Second week (I forgot to measure the first week) I lose 5 pounds, third week 0.5 pounds, fourth week I lose 4 pounds, and then two weeks of "stalled". During this time I SHOULD have lost 6 pounds but the scale shows 9.5 pounds.

I am dead certain water weight is playing fun games and I know what I am doing is working because I am using other methods to track progress other than weight. In fact, today I managed to use a belt loop I haven't in over 2 years.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    As a women with hormone issues, I have Endometriosis which makes weightloss harder I've learned some tricks that may also help someone entering menopause. Removing dairy and gluten remove a ton fat steadily because those are inflammatory foods also the alternatives for things like muffins end up lower calorie. All walking is not the same, I have to power walk 30 minutes minimum daily for my weight to drop. Weightlifting causes water retention. So when I start any lifting program my weight will stall for around 3 weeks and then magically straighten out. I read that until you hit day 14 it's not a real weightloss plateau in a lifting program book once too. A lot of the time you're gaining muscle and losing fat but can't tell on the scale. I also hate stalling, that first 3 weeks where my weight stays the same kills me emotionally but we just gotta power through it and keep consistent.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    some great advice above.
    I lost 30 out of my intended 40. I have also had periods of nearly half a month with almost no weight loss, despite being incredibly dedicated and consistent. It happens, be patient. It can be frustrating but keep working hard and think of this as a lifelong commitment.