Myfitnesspal

Message Boards MFP Suggestions/Feedback
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Steps count

Jacqui271Jacqui271 Member Posts: 1 Member Member Posts: 1 Member
Hi.

I switched on negative step counting as I thought this would resolve the issue where when I add another exercise, the calories lost through the step count disappears and doesn’t register.

Now the calorie register for approx 1,500 steps today reads as -520 ish ... when I would expect to see a positive number and it added to my exercise count.

Is anyone able to help resolve this issue please.

Replies

• janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member, Premium Posts: 25,449 Member Member, Premium Posts: 25,449 Member
    Where is negative step counting?

There are negative calorie adjustments, but those are designed to deduct calories from your day when you move LESS than what MFP would have expected given your activity level. It is not designed to reconcile issues caused by syncing devices and then trying to log activity on top of that (which I think is what you're describing).

If you're using a synced fitness tracker, I would recommend letting it do the work and not log additional exercises in MFP.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding what you're describing.
  • heybalesheybales Member Posts: 18,734 Member Member Posts: 18,734 Member
    Beyond my same curiosity of where this option is - just because a space says steps and calories shown doesn't mean they are tied together.

Your Food Diary with calories also shows glasses of water drank.
    Are there calories in water?

Please use the terms you actually see on the screen, and say what that screen is.
    For all we know you could be on the step tracker's app seeing things and changing options, and it just sounds close enough to MFP to be confusing.
  • durdendurden Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 606 MFP Staff Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 606 MFP Staff
    Hi there,

Just wanted to say up front that none of what you just described are bugs. Each of these features are working as intended, based on your description.

As Jane explained, when you toggle on Negative Calorie adjustments, you are opting to have our program deduct calories from your Net Calorie goal if you are not as active as your goals indicate you normally would be. Only when you are more active should you receive a positive adjustment, which is by no means guaranteed.

When adding in manual exercises, or syncing single workouts from other app partners, those calories are automatically added to your set daily burn total on your MFP account and nutritional adjustments are immediately given.
    For additional information on how exercise impacts your nutritional goals, please see this article: https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032623851-Why-do-my-daily-nutrient-values-and-my-calorie-goal-change-when-I-log-exercise-

This can cause confusion when looking at your device adjustment because that number will lower or possibly zero out. This is normal because the number that your device compares its calories to (set daily burn from MFP) has now increased with the addition of new workout data and the distance between the two calories counts will be further apart.

Additional information on calorie adjustments can be found here : https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032623871-What-is-the-Calorie-Adjustment-in-my-Exercise-Diary-