Myfitnesspal

Message Boards MFP Suggestions/Feedback
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Kind of frustrated with MFP and Google fit "adjustment"

akrishn3akrishn3 Member Posts: 1 Member Member Posts: 1 Member
I know this topic has been discussed previously that the "adjsutment for Google steps" vanish once you have an excercise item entered. It is okay, I am living with that.
But today one more thing happened which totally frustrated me.
1. I walked for 3.3K steps in 33min and Google gave me 183 calories ...for which MFP gave 144 (whaterver..it is okay)
2. Now after few hours I again walked for 61min and 6.38K steps Google gave me 375calories and MFP gave me 250 calories (again whatever...)
3. But within 5 minuites of this communication between MFP and Google fit...some how MFP decided that I RAN (Jogging) for 5min, created an entery for "excercise" and removed all my "Adjustments" and erased a total of 375 calories to 0calories and instead gave me only 56 calories for 5min of Running / jogging as "excercise".

I went and check with Google fit whether google also "interpretted" my brisk walking (may be for 5min I was brisker?) and indicated as running? NO. Good did not do anything like that. Google still has 2 entries 30min and 61 min.

How, Why did MFP decide I Ran/excercise for 5min?
So totaly of approx 10K steps and I get 56calories?
So even if I walk rest of the day for another 10K still am I going ot get a total of 56calories?

Should I even be using MFP or atleast use MFP<-->Google fit connection and resort to manual entries.?

Replies

• durdendurden Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 606 MFP Staff Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 606 MFP Staff
    So, I recently answered a very similar question to this and I believe the same answer holds true. In nearly all cases, issues with exercise adjustment simply come down to confusion in understanding how the feature works. Which, to be perfectly clear- Is valid because our program does a HORRIBLE job of explaining how it works, meaning a large portion of my job involves having to explain it. I mention this only because we get this question a lot, and I get a lot of pushback when I try to explain how it works to people because they don't like the answer I give them. Fair enough- All I can do is try to provide clarity, which is what I will do now.

So with that said, here is the basic answer to your question; (Noting that I am not sure why MFP decided you did running exercise; Most likely Google Fit created and synced that exercise over automatically for you)

The most important thing to understand is that your steps don't turn into calories by themselves. What is being measured is your overall activity for the day. This means that your relative step count shouldn't be used as a measuring stick of how much of an adjustment you will receive- They are barely related, at best.

When adding in manual exercises, or syncing single workouts from other app partners, those calories are automatically added to your set daily burn total on your MFP account and nutritional adjustments are immediately given.
    For additional information on how exercise impacts your nutritional goals, please see this article:https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032623851-Why-do-my-daily-nutrient-values-and-my-calorie-goal-change-when-I-log-exercise-

This can cause confusion when looking at your device adjustment because that number will lower or possibly zero out. This is normal because the number that your device compares its calories to (set daily burn from MFP) has now increased with the addition of new workout data and the distance between the two calories counts will be further apart.

Additional information on calorie adjustments can be found here :https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032623871-What-is-the-Calorie-Adjustment-in-my-Exercise-Diary-
    edited April 29
  • ladyoftherocksladyoftherocks Member Posts: 60 Member Member Posts: 60 Member
    I just tried to connect Googlr Fit yo mfp yesterday and none of my steps have transferred over at all :(
  • heybalesheybales Member Posts: 18,734 Member Member Posts: 18,734 Member
    I just tried to connect Googlr Fit yo mfp yesterday and none of my steps have transferred over at all :(

Does the setting for Step Source still say Google Fit?
  • heybalesheybales Member Posts: 18,734 Member Member Posts: 18,734 Member
    akrishn3 wrote: »
    I know this topic has been discussed previously that the "adjsutment for Google steps" vanish once you have an excercise item entered. It is okay, I am living with that.
    But today one more thing happened which totally frustrated me.
    1. I walked for 3.3K steps in 33min and Google gave me 183 calories ...for which MFP gave 144 (whaterver..it is okay)
    2. Now after few hours I again walked for 61min and 6.38K steps Google gave me 375calories and MFP gave me 250 calories (again whatever...)
    3. But within 5 minuites of this communication between MFP and Google fit...some how MFP decided that I RAN (Jogging) for 5min, created an entery for "excercise" and removed all my "Adjustments" and erased a total of 375 calories to 0calories and instead gave me only 56 calories for 5min of Running / jogging as "excercise".

I went and check with Google fit whether google also "interpretted" my brisk walking (may be for 5min I was brisker?) and indicated as running? NO. Good did not do anything like that. Google still has 2 entries 30min and 61 min.

How, Why did MFP decide I Ran/excercise for 5min?
    So totaly of approx 10K steps and I get 56calories?
    So even if I walk rest of the day for another 10K still am I going ot get a total of 56calories?

Should I even be using MFP or atleast use MFP<-->Google fit connection and resort to manual entries.?

I'd suggest not using Google Fit as step source. It's not a full featured tracker system that provides MFP with daily calorie burn so the normal math happens.

MFP merely uses it for number of steps. That has to be roughly converted to calories somehow without knowing distance the steps took you.
    When you enter exercise or it syncs in, MFP doesn't know how many of the steps were part of that - hence the effect you saw.

The difference in calorie burn is likely because Google is showing you total burn for that chunk of time - but what it sends (MFP doesn't reduce it) to MFP is only the additional on top of BMR base burn.
    That is actually the correct way to handle it when workouts are added without a daily figure - only the additional calorie burn.

But - is the 144 & 250 actually the calorie burn for workouts that are showing up - or what the Adjustment now read as a total?
    Because Adjustment is not exercise burn.

To use without syncing - use steps on non-workout days, or if walking is it currently do count it - to decide what Activity Level on MFP to select, and log workouts that are beyond the walking.

If that 10K steps is almost daily - that is really beyond Active - but start with that level.

Only log workouts besides the walking.
    edited April 29