Less Alcohol - MAY 2021 - One Day At A Time

Options

Replies

• dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,553 Member
    Options
    My May Goals:
    16-20 AF days per month.
    Changing my goals as my schedule is changing, but sticking to the 16-20 AF days.

My daily check in:

Sunday May 16 - AF - I begin the Canada Post training tomorrow morning, for 3-4 weeks on top of my other jobs. Need to have a clear head.
    Monday May 17 - AF
    Tuesday May 18 - AF - I actually am enjoying getting up at 2:30am for my newest extra job. Definitely would not be able to have alcohol and feel well at 2:30.
    Wednesday May 19 - AF - Planning on a couple of drinks on Friday eve, (just a 3 hour shift starting at noon on Saturday, my lightest day).
    Thursday May 20 - AF - Said a teary goodbye to Canada Post, then had a very long day trying to catch up on other jobs. Up at 2:30 and didn't finally get home until 10pm. I really felt like having a nice drink, but didn't. Up to Kimberley in the morning for my favourite Foster Grant job. I want to be fresh.
    Friday May 21 - 2 1/2 drinks, I knew that the rest of that 3rd drink would have put me over the top. Planned AF until next Thursday
    Saturday May 22 - AF - I had an awesome day today, caught up with a few things that I was too busy for the last few weeks - died my roots, took off one hand of gel polish and painted those, went to work at the restaurant from 12-3 then went for a hike with a friend. If I got any good photos I will post them. Hit my 16 today : - )
    Sunday May 23 - AF - I worked a split at the restaurant today and had plans for a hike in between but it was raining, so we didn't go. 4 hour shift at the restaurant tomorrow, all other jobs not happening because it is a holiday. Queen Victoria Day. Most Canadians call it May two four (24 of beer), because it is typically a big boozing weekend.
    Monday May 24 - AF - Being grateful thinking about Victorian Furniture on her birthday. Busy day tomorrow, so AF tonight.
    Tuesday May 25 - 2 1/2 drinks - It wasn't a planned drinks day, Thursday is, but that could change as the restaurants are now being opened for (limited) indoor dining and my schedule there will change.
    Wednesday May 26 - AF - Possibly a few drinks tomorrow.
    Thursday May 27 - Drinks - Just being indulgent. Not sure about Friday - drinks or not.

Rolling total: 19AF out of 27 days
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    @MissMay I wasn't the original bitters experimenter but I have been playing around with them this week after stocking up on Saturday!

They're a lot more aromatic than flavorful, so like 80% of the "taste" is coming from the smell, IMO. I'm using 1 tsp bitters to 6 oz of soda, so they're pretty diluted.

Fee Brothers Lemon - refreshing, slightly more herbal than a squeeze of lemon, but maybe not worth the $$ since lemon juice is similar enough
    Fee Brothers Peach - a little disappointing, tastes too artificial, ends up leaving me thirsty even though I'm only doing 1 tsp in a giant glass of sparkling water
    Fee Brothers Aztec Chocolate - I'm kinda digging this even though it's weird in plain fizzy water. I love chocolate everything. We forgot to buy chocolate last week at the grocery store and this has been getting me through. I'm not a coffee drinker, but I could see a dash being good in a cup of decaf after dinner. I might try it in my mushroom tea because I'm crazy adventurous.
    Angostura Orange - by far the best of the bunch. Refreshing and herbal like the lemon, but a much deeper flavor. Naturally goes well with sparkling water, I don't feel like I need to add to it. 10/10 will always have in stock.

I mixed the chocolate and the orange bitters and told myself it was a Terry's Chocolate Orange. It wasn't. But I liked it.
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 783 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Good morning to those that it is still morning LOL

hmm on the subject of bitters.....I asked about this a few months ago and got some great responses. Since then we have tried so many new flavors, some good, some I pitched in the trash after the first sip. But so far my favorite mixed with diet tonic water is:
    Fee Brothers: Old Fashioned Aromatic Bitters
    Fee Brothers: Whiskey Barrel Aged Bitters
    Jack Daniels old No. 7: Tennessee Cocktail Bitters

I am a big whiskey fan hence the whiskey flavors. There was done that the sales person said was like cinnamon whiskey...lies lies. It was like tasting a ghost pepper with no warning and I wish I could remember the name of it

Today, I will be finishing a mandala painting I hope, two colors yellow ocher and white on a black background. So far I like how it is turning out. I will post when I am finished, the process is not all that exciting
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Husband and I decided to drink Monday....at some point I have to strike a balance between not feeling overly deprived and indulging without going overboard....

@chocolate_owl, I will do my end of month weigh in/body fat read Monday morning before planned midday festivities. I'm struggling with less exercise and more sitting due to long required work hours, but I will kick it up a notch Sat and Sun, especially with exercise and staying low-cal.

House rules are no drinking after 4pm on Monday so I am sharp and energetic Tuesday when I have to be fast-thinking giving presentations at work.

#1 weekend goal is hangover prevention
    #2 is indulgence management
    #3 catch up on quality sleep
    #4 enjoy life
    #5 probably shopping :)

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    Options
    @chocolate_owl good thoughts for you to choose the right thing this weekend in reference to drinking / drinking less😊
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    My May Goals:
    16-20 AF days per month.
    Changing my goals as my schedule is changing, but sticking to the 16-20 AF days.

My daily check in:

Thursday May 27 - Drinks - Just being indulgent. Not sure about Friday - drinks or not.
    Friday May 28 - 2 drinks several hours ago. Census (Statistics Canada) training all day today via zoom, and again tomorrow before my evening shift at the restaurant. So far no days off in the past 2 weeks, and none seen for the foreseeable future. My garden and lawn are sooooo behind!!

Rolling total: 19AF out of 28 days
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    2 glasses of a nice red wine from the anniversary party for steak night at the camp. It is the only bottle that we brought with us, but mom seems to have collected 2-3 bottles. I'll wait and see if those get opened.

Water after dinner! And a walk but the mosquitos are terrible.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Kicked off the weekend with two glasses of wine- first one was mid- afternoon when DH said “you want a glass of wine?” Sure! I folded like a cheap suit , but was able to take a little snooze afterwards. Then one with dinner.

Today our plans with friends got rained out, but we are trying to come up with alternatives. I need to just stay on the steady path of no more than 2 drinks in the entire day on this holiday weekend. If I can achieve that goal and not go over, it’s a win!

Oh and my weight is down again this morning. Woo hoo!
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Good day to all
    Today is an impromptu dinner party with my mom and brother. I did buy several bottles of wine and some brandy but it will be up to me if I want any. My brother does not drink and my mom can take or leave a glass of wine. Since we are having steak mid day I may or may not have a glass just not sure. After dinner is when the wine devil will jump on my shoulder. We love love love to play card games and board games. Nothing sets up a reason to want to drink for me than this.

Even if I do chose to have a few glasses of wine I am fine with that it will just mean for months end I will have one less AF day. So far with our without a drink(s) today I will have met my goal for the month of less alcohol than last month as long as Sunday and Monday are AF.

@MissMay sounds like you are well on your way to having a great time
    @Lilylady3k if anyone has some citronella or even orange, lemon or tangerine essential oil to put out in a few places that will keep the pesky flying bugs to a min. If you mix a few drops with some lightweight oil and put it on your skin that will work as a replant too.
    @chocolate_owl I am sorry you are made to feel like a 'snob' when you choose not to have alcohol. I found that if I just matter of fact say I will later or I am good with just 'whatever drink I have' and then move to the next subject like it is not even on your radar as important to you, it helped me get past the pushy ones. <hugs>
    @dawnbgethealthy OH MY, you need to find a way to slow down just a tad! really burn out is a real thing
    @globalhiker No. 4 on your list is my favorite, the rest will fall into place

• globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I put the Jack Daniels bitters on my shopping list, nice idea.
    Ooh I want to be a movie extra, that sounds like fun. Maybe something for retirement. Many agencies actually have a really hard time finding models that look like average Americans of all ages and appearances and one can make fun side money if called in for photos or voice-overs or videos needed for marketing or software products companies sell.

Enjoying life today, AF style :)
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    DH & I ... both AF this evening. Didn't even discuss alcohol, drinking or not drinking. Just grabbed a diet soda for dinner.

May accountability: 12/31 days AF
    Alcohol: 17 days (41 drinks)
    Goal: Limit 1-2 glasses per day; 12-16 AF days per month. Aim to drink no more than 2 nights in a row.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    My May Goals:
    16-20 AF days per month.

My daily check in:

Friday May 28 - 2 drinks several hours ago. Census (Statistics Canada) training all day today via zoom, and again tomorrow before my evening shift at the restaurant. So far no days off in the past 2 weeks, and none seen for the foreseeable future. My garden and lawn are sooooo behind!!
    Saturday May 29 - 2 drinks. Breaks during Zoom Census training today were spent digging and grass mowing, then I went in to work at the restaurant over dinner hours. I am a bit burned out for sure, but this next month will pay for my yearly property taxes so I have to (must) keep going.

Rolling total: 19AF out of 29 days