WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2021

Replies

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    🌻🌞💛
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,022 Member
    I walked for six minutes in the basement before the leg pain started. This time it was on the left side, above the knee. I did clockwise and counterclockwise loops.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,494 Member
    Pppp
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    B)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    I walked for six minutes in the basement before the leg pain started. This time it was on the left side, above the knee. I did clockwise and counterclockwise loops.

6 minutes is a very short time. Have you had that leg pain checked? Is it muscle or joint? Above the knee suggests muscle, depending on how far above the knee and if that's the case, you may just need to keep walking.

M in Oz

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,901 Member
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    <3
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Bananas - Unfortunately, the language want to improve is German, and most German educated people speak English well already.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Heather, have you tried seeing if you find a German speaking partner? I participate in an online group with German people speaking English and one speaks excellant English and it's really key for her to do so, but others are of varying skill.Many are good but also want to improve. Of course they might be going from level C1 to C2 very good level) and you from A1 to A2 (beginner level) but some people would presumably be fine with that exchange. Here's a page about the subject with a map! https://howwidelyspoken.com/how-widely-spoken-english-germany/ which seems to be well-sourced.

• bananasandoranges
    @Katlia Thanks for the vitamin D reminder! I am think I have a renewable prescription!

Machka, no, I know that works for you. luck you! but not for all. I think we wrote about that a few months back! "The Royal College of Psychiatrists estimates that 50-65% of people treated with an antidepressant for depression will see an improvement, compared to 25-30% of those taking inactive "dummy" pills (placebo). This means that most people do benefit from antidepressants, even if it's sometimes a result of the placebo effect." from - https://www.nhsinform.scot/tests-and-treatments/medicines-and-medical-aids/types-of-medicine/antidepressants and this

"Without antidepressants: About 20 to 40 out of 100 people who took a placebo noticed an improvement in their symptoms within six to eight weeks.
    With antidepressants: About 40 to 60 out of 100 people who took an antidepressant noticed an improvement in their symptoms within six to eight weeks.
    In other words, antidepressants improved symptoms in about an extra 20 out of 100 people."

• bananasandoranges
    Barbara Yikes for the 3 bees! I do need a break and I do go to café often now that they are open, but the stroll to the café isn't doing it for me at present ! I would like a weekend away soon, now that at least outdoor seating is allowed and we are allowed to stay out until 9pm. On June 9 we can go out til 11 and have indoor seating. That might be worth waiting for. I can't get away this week anyway.
  • bananasandoranges
    Katla I'm so sorry about Schooner. <3
  • bananasandoranges
    [/quote]

As a child, I remember watching my mother do it with a pull cord, petrol mower and it looked like so much work ... filling it up, trying to get it going, and it seemed so heavy too.

That's when I decided it was something I would not do.

M in Oz[/quote]

I don't have a yard now, but when I did, I liked gardening, clipping etc, ok but not lawn mowing. Granted my yard was in a really rural place and almost too big to mow (in my book) it would have taken 3h per trip. I was able to get the next door huge tractor in go cut the biggest bits (sometimes they'd offer for free and sometimes charge about 10 euros for the 5 minute detour-) and managed somehow...the grass would grow so high in spring, and not much at all in the summer. I never bought a mower in the 5 years I was there! I didn't mind if grass was a few inches tall or so though- it was a rural place. Basically it would grow like wildfire for about 2 months in spring and then barely at all in summer, and the rest of the year. Occasionally staying at friends they asked if I would mow the lawn to help out. I love to help out but that is one of my least favorite things to do. I think I liked mowing ok when a kid. Yard was smaller and mostly it was my dad and then my brother's job, so I got to do it just very occasionally, not obligatorily so it was more fun. I think my brother might have started an unsuccessful lawn mowing "business" as a teen...

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,807 Member
    <3
  • bananasandoranges
    Machka9 wrote: »

Yeah, I get that it can be something like vacuuming.

But with our yard, it's a lot of work even with an electric mower because of all the slopes and levels ... and you only notice the difference on the narrow strip where the sewer drain is. That's where the grass grows. The rest of the yard is not really grass, it's mostly clover and other stuff. My husband or the gardener mow when whatever it is starts coming up in great tufts here and there.

M in Oz

I mowed a friend's place like that. : slopes, tufts, etc. it was a lot of effort for not such great results.

• bananasandoranges
    Ginny, it sounds like you are missing your dear husband. I'm sorry about that and send you a hug. I didn't remember reading about lung nodule. It sounds serious if you are thinking of moving closer to there. Though if you live quite far it does get tricky even for less serious but repeat treatments. Having your son nearby could be nice. You do a lot of handy work in your home so you might feel pretty connected to it. Weren't you thinking of possibly moving out of state (closer to some kid.s) at one point?
  • bananasandoranges
    hi better than last week. have some major work to do these days. some friends really helped me majorly. that is so kind.

got a new "Fairphone" ecological and more fair trade phone. I had some issues. I think iPhones think I'm still on iPhone and I don't get iPhone messages...
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,185 Member
    Bananas - Thanks for the link. :D I will look into it. Having a real German person to talk to would be great.
    I'm watching so much French these days that I've started to think in French! My French Circle is having its first real meet up, after the pandemic, next Wednesday. It's actually just an AGM before the summer break, but there will be chat and drinks, plus some kind of lecture. Huge hall and masks. I'm sure we will all have been double vaxxed, because we are all on the mature side!

My DH was not happy with the idea of me paying myself to do the housework. He looked a bit shocked and said he was happy to do it with me. So, we have fixed on every other Friday pm to do an hour together. That's the equivalent of the cleaner. I will get him to put it in his diary. We do keep tidy and keep the kitchen clean in between, but that will be bathrooms and hoovering and dusting. She may come back if someone drops off her schedule.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    edited May 2021
    @Katlia Thanks for the vitamin D reminder! I am think I have a renewable prescription!

Machka, no, I know that works for you. luck you! but not for all. I think we wrote about that a few months back! "The Royal College of Psychiatrists estimates that 50-65% of people treated with an antidepressant for depression will see an improvement, compared to 25-30% of those taking inactive "dummy" pills (placebo). This means that most people do benefit from antidepressants, even if it's sometimes a result of the placebo effect." from - https://www.nhsinform.scot/tests-and-treatments/medicines-and-medical-aids/types-of-medicine/antidepressants and this

"Without antidepressants: About 20 to 40 out of 100 people who took a placebo noticed an improvement in their symptoms within six to eight weeks.
    With antidepressants: About 40 to 60 out of 100 people who took an antidepressant noticed an improvement in their symptoms within six to eight weeks.
    In other words, antidepressants improved symptoms in about an extra 20 out of 100 people."

Have you tried?

I have not been positive mine has been helping so my Dr has just recently doubled the dose and told me to expect a 4-8 week adjustment period. We'll see what happens but so far it seems like my hot flashes are a little bit fewer. And one day last week I was actually cool all day so maybe the extra is helping. But I am still in that adjustment period and it is a bit of a challenge to get through.

It's hard to say. But might be worth a try. Or at least, it might be worth chatting to a Dr.

M in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    Machka9 wrote: »

I have not been positive mine has been helping so my Dr has just recently doubled the dose and told me to expect a 4-8 week adjustment period. We'll see what happens but so far it seems like my hot flashes are a little bit fewer. And one day last week I was actually cool all day so maybe the extra is helping. But I am still in that adjustment period and it is a bit of a challenge to get through.

It's hard to say. But might be worth a try. Or at least, it might be worth chatting to a Dr.

M in Oz

Great that it's working for you, Machka, at least partially! I had no idea they could help with your hot flashes too! I think it's hard to remember all that we post, but I think we had a similar conversation a few months back!

I do trust medical professionals and heed their advice in general!