WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2021

Options

Replies

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    nice walk, sit in café, not great concentration for working but a bit. also when walking, thought of some ideas... got news from a friend and so on.

bought a couple of avocados. they are a bit ripe. So expensive now, I very rarely get them but I figured I needed a boost.

Heating up some broccoli. need to add in some protein and I'm good to go.

hope everyone is well!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Bananas - Thanks for the link. :D I will look into it. Having a real German person to talk to would be great.
    I'm watching so much French these days that I've started to think in French! My French Circle is having its first real meet up, after the pandemic, next Wednesday. It's actually just an AGM before the summer break, but there will be chat and drinks, plus some kind of lecture. Huge hall and masks. I'm sure we will all have been double vaxxed, because we are all on the mature side!

My DH was not happy with the idea of me paying myself to do the housework. He looked a bit shocked and said he was happy to do it with me. So, we have fixed on every other Friday pm to do an hour together. That's the equivalent of the cleaner. I will get him to put it in his diary. We do keep tidy and keep the kitchen clean in between, but that will be bathrooms and hoovering and dusting. She may come back if someone drops off her schedule.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I'm sure there is a German person somewhere who will be thrilled to improve his or her English with you in a language exchange! Awesome for your French and meeting!

I didn't see the 1st part about paying yourself for cleaning but if he's offering to share the works that sounds good. A very young friend years back said it was a working process to get her bf to do the housework. They agreed one week he would do it and one week she would in their tiny studio apartment. she would do it in an hour or two and he would take 5 hours, cause he'd take breaks to play guitar, have tea or whatever but would do it. Then she had to show him the difference between different sorts of clean-- thinking to scrub under the sink or the edges of this or that or whatever, which he also learned to do... an hour is not long so you should be able to do it. maybe you will be less fast than the cleaner so might need 1.5hours or 1.25 hours to do the same job to start...

I find lots (but not all!!) of older guys (over 60 say) don't know how to clean or cook totally (or at least as simply and naturally as SOME women do) but are happy to learn and participate if given the time to learn...
    I don't remember where your DH stands on that level.

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,372 Member
    Options
    Karen - They grow a mile a minute, don't they? Miss Lilly looks like she definitely has a mind of her own It's been wonderful being close enough to see the more minor changes without being apart for years at a time with ours. Their developing personalities are fascinating - especially that such different people can come from the same genes.

Machka - I hope the change in prescription is helpful, those hot flashes sound seriously awful.

Got the rest of the house in order Saturday afternoon and Sunday, and this morning, I'll be getting my workspace together until it's dry enough outside to mow the lawn. Just a minor chance of scattered rain this afternoon, but couldn't mow yesterday as part of the yard was under two inches of water still. The ground is just saturated right now, can't hold anymore. The plants and herbs are loving it; they're just growing like mad. Have to get the lawn mowed today because tomorrow and Wednesday the rain's back. Oh well.

My daughter and family are still inching their way home, they stayed with her in-laws and the dogs for two nights (four dogs with hers and theirs) in Missouri. She sent me a text last night saying she wanted to paint the kitchen and office for me when I see her next. Kind of out of the blue, but OK... They so much in the yard while they were here, things that would have taken me a month to accomplish alone. It was very welcome.

:smiley:

Still, I'm glad to have my house back.

Time for a second cup of coffee.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    As of July 1st, it will be legal for Virginians to grow 4 marijuana plants per person. However, there isn't a legal way to obtain seeds or cuttings/clones. I believe it would help my spouse with her post-anesthesia syndrome and fibromyalgia. In Virginia, a special license is required to write prescriptions for medical marijuana, and none of my spouse's doctors have that license. There won't be any recreational dispensaries until 2024. :D:D:D
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

I have not been positive mine has been helping so my Dr has just recently doubled the dose and told me to expect a 4-8 week adjustment period. We'll see what happens but so far it seems like my hot flashes are a little bit fewer. And one day last week I was actually cool all day so maybe the extra is helping. But I am still in that adjustment period and it is a bit of a challenge to get through.

It's hard to say. But might be worth a try. Or at least, it might be worth chatting to a Dr.

M in Oz

Great that it's working for you, Machka, at least partially! I had no idea they could help with your hot flashes too! I think it's hard to remember all that we post, but I think we had a similar conversation a few months back!

I do trust medical professionals and heed their advice in general!

Certain kinds of antidepressants (SSRIs/SNRIs) can reduce hot flash symptoms. Not entirely, but potentially significantly ... up to 65% according to the following article.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5482277/

For me, that's the main reason I'm on my SNRI. My hot flashes drive me insane ... they are so uncomfortable with the nausea, dizziness, and prickly pain like pins and needles all over. And they always seem to come on when I'm in a meeting or doing something important. They've been so bad I feel like crying (and throwing up). My SNRI seems to have reduced them to about 6-10 a day but I'm hoping the higher dose will reduce them to maybe half that.

I've also been feeling really hot all the time, prickly and uncomfortably hot ... late autumn and I was wearing a tank top and shorts at home with the windows open and fans on. At work, I dress in summer dresses and have my desk fan going all the time. I go out in my sleeveless or short sleeved tops to walk around outside with temps in the low teens (55-57F). But, as I mentioned, just recently I had a day where I felt cool!! Even now, it's 17C (63F) in the house, and I'm in long pants with sock on!! So maybe the increased dose is helping me feel a more normal temperature.

SNRIs also seem to stabilise my mood. They don't make me feel happy all the time or keep me from feeling down sometimes. But I think I feel calmer. There are heaps of things in my life that could really upset/frustrate/annoy me, and some things do still upset me to some extent, but I think the antidepressant just helps me "chill" (feel more easy going about life). Placebo or real, I need that. I find I deal with everything thrown my way much better if I'm reasonably easy going.

M in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,604 Member
    Options
    Was out of town with little cell service and no internet. Page 45! Love you all!
    Katla- Hugs! We aren't ready yet either to add another fur baby to our home. We will know when the time is. Hugs!
    Gotta go to work-ugh! Was great with no work for a few days. But....thankful I have a job. Now to see what fires I have to put out.

Kylia back in Ohio
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Im up and dressed ,watching the birds have breakfast..
    Alfie and i are watching touched by an angel.and then ill take some dry goods to the little community pantry.. like the little library,this helps people that need a little helping hand..
    Going to the eye doctor on thursday..
    Homer our old dog is having issues with his left eye ,Tom getting out of work they have a leak in the water line for the fridge..
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA
    Lilly Belle is quite the cutie and so tiny! That's nuts that you can grow marijuana plants but can't buy the seeds.

Machka & Julie
    I have been taking antidepressant meds for most of my adult life and would never think of doing without. I am pretty sure if my parents had had antidepressants when I was growing up our family would not have been so dysfunctional. When I had a total hysterectomy at 39, I almost went crazy and had to take massive doses of estrogen.

Lisa
    So glad you daughter and son in law helped accomplish so much during their stay. I would love to have someone paint my kitchen. I would love to have someone refinish/paint my kitchen and bathroom cabinets. I used to be able to do all that on my own but not any more.

Yard Work: I did almost all the yard work in both our homes for many many years. Lawn mowing, planting, trimming, digging, watering, etc. The most my DH did was clean off the roof which I could never have done. Now we are both too old and unable physically. Thank the Good Lord we are able to pay someone to do it now.

Carol in GA
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,035 Member
    Options
    Machka, thanks for responding! Now that I have calmed down a bit, I remember that the outdoor walking pain was shin splints. The basement walking pain so far, barefoot, is glutes. It seemed to respond to self massage. So I think I am just weak. I have to try walking several times to get a repeatable pattern before I can report it to a doctor, but that's next if it doesn't subside. I really am very sedentary. That has to change.

Annie in Delaware
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Carol. - I know! It's a conundrum. There is a lot of literature supporting MJs use for problems like my spouse has, and it's been recommended by her neurologist and her rheumatologist, but neither are licensed to prescribe it.
    I tried it when I was a young adult, and it caused severe vertigo and vomiting. Horrible experience.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Machka, thanks for responding! Now that I have calmed down a bit, I remember that the outdoor walking pain was shin splints. The basement walking pain so far, barefoot, is glutes. It seemed to respond to self massage. So I think I am just weak. I have to try walking several times to get a repeatable pattern before I can report it to a doctor, but that's next if it doesn't subside. I really am very sedentary. That has to change.

Annie in Delaware

Can you walk outside? I'm guessing it's spring in your area. Even just around the block. :) Take a camera with you and get some photos of flowers and trees. It can be quite relaxing and refreshing.

It just strikes me that walking in place or walking around the basement might be boring and that's when we can feel aches and pains. But if you're outside on a mission to find pink flowers or something, your mind is on something else.

I also notice that my body likes to throw in aches and pains at the beginning of a run or longer bicycle ride. There's usually nothing wrong and when I think about other things the pain goes away. But I will check how I'm running or riding just to be sure my posture and foot placement is OK. Or sometimes I need to stretch something, like my calves.

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,526 Member
    Options
    Jjjjj
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    💛🌞🌻
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Machka and Carol it sounds like the right approach for you. I'm all for it if it works! My mom took something starting at about age 70 when she went to a nursing home (and also had therapy). Previous to that she had been contentious for years, and she became much more pleasant and a much better listener. I don't know if it was the therapy or the pills or both but I saw notable progress at age 70. However I think she did gain weight and I'm not sure how it worked out physically. She seemed way less in shape, but maybe that was just the aging (or maybe the combo there too). It definitely works for some people. (placebo or "real").
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,035 Member
    Options
    I rode my bike around the block twice. Feeling no leg pain. Yay!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,196 Member
    Options
    Bananas - DH has always been happy to do housework, but we could never seem to want to do it at the same time and it caused problems. Now we have scheduled it in the diary. If it doesn't work out I will look for another cleaner.
    He can cook as well, but I enjoy it and I would rather have him do all the washing up! I hate it.

I've signed up with the Polyglot club, but I'm finding their website very skittish. I might try a different one.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Options
    Heather - I thought you had a brilliant idea about cleaning yourself.

Karen - Lilli is adorable.
    That is a messed up way of getting it legalized isn’t it? Anyhow, I have a few friends that use it for medicinal purposes and they swear it works. A couple of them have fibromyalgia.

Machka - I have been on antidepressants 3 times in my life, currently on them again now. I’m like you and find that I handle things easier on them.

Carol - I would like someone to come paint for me as well. I am scared of the pain I would be in doing it right now.

When I was expecting our youngest we moved into an old house with 10’ ceilings. I decided to wallpaper but didn’t really know how. My Grandmother offered to help me. I didn’t realize it until years later that she was actually 78 years old and shouldn’t have been climbing up and down a ladder at that time. I hurt thinking about it at 52!

Annie - I have pains in my legs when I haven’t walked for a while and start again. I found my footwear had a lot to do with it.

I thoroughly cleaned yesterday for the first time since Jan 2nd when I started having all of my back and hip pain. It took me about 5 hours instead of my usual hour and a bit, but I’m not in agony and I feel ok today. DH has been helping and doing a lot, but he doesn’t see some of the things I see I guess.

Today I should receive the call advising when my parents table will be arriving in Edmonton. I’m very excited! I have to decide if I should sell the complete set I have or just sell the table. I have a decision to make.
    If I sell the whole set I need to make enough to buy a new China cabinet and chairs.

It is a cold rainy day today, I can almost see the grass getting greener.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options

Annie in Delaware

My advice would be to wear good supportive shoes while you walk, even inside. It will make a world of difference.

Okie in the TX Hill Country