WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2021

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,902 Member
    :) Today's big adventures were visits to the bank drive-through, library curbside pickup, post office, along with dog walking, an hour's dancing, and planting the sunflower starts I got from my neighbor .
    <3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,804 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    M in OZ: The Walgreens pharmacy here bought a freezer and stored the Phizer vaccine in it. Other pharmacies in our area are using other vaccines that do not require freezing. Will your DH be able to get the Astra-Zeneca vaccine? :star:

Katla in NW Oregon

Absolutely! Everyone can get Astra-Zeneca. But we don't want it for him.

bwcetc wrote: »
    I've been asked to bring potato salad which my friend hates to make but her husband loves to eat. I hate to make it too, but I will anyways.

Beth near Buffalo

The way I make potato salad is to go to the nearest deli and get a large container. :)

dlfk202000 wrote: »
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Ok, so I have no idea why the photo is uploading on its side. But then, my life is side of on its side right now, so I'll go with it.

at least you can post a picture- I tried to do one when I first started but it said the picture was too big and I am clueless on how to make it smaller- I need to ask my son to help, or dh but would rather figure it out on my own.

Debbie

Double click the photo to open it. In the top right corner (most likely) there should be an Edit button or something similar. Click that. When the photo opens in the edit screen, look for something that says Resize and try dropping the size by 50%. Save as a different name and attempt to load that one.

If it is still too big, repeat the process. You can choose a different percent, maybe 75% or 30% the next time.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    grogers511 wrote: »
    On Fridays I like to play a game of 50 Things - where I push myself to complete 50 tasks. Big or small. Daily routine stuff and stretch to some things I’ve procrastinated about.
    Here’s today’s list - so far:
    ✔️1. Weigh, hygiene
    ✔️2. test blood glucose
    ✔️3. Reschedule blood donation
    ✔️4. Confirm oral surgery Appt.
    ✔️5. Check in with sibs group text.
    ✔️6. Morning Meds & eye drops
    ✔️7. Get dressed
    ✔️8. Make bed
    ✔️9. S&S
    ✔️10. Empty dishwasher
    ✔️11. Charge electronics
    ✔️12. Update self-care journal
    ✔️13. Post accountability to MFP
    ✔️14. Duolingo Spanish lesson
    ✔️15. Reboot laundry
    ✔️16. Call Patriot Angels re: help w/Dad’s memory care rent
    ✔️17. Schedule Derm Spa (laser hair removal)
    ✔️18. Call AP/Nicole re: Patriot Angels
    ✔️19. Schedule Dr. Appt for me
    ✔️20. Contact Prop Tax Advocate - she’ll handle our appeal. Yay!
    ✳️ Next:
    ✔️21. Flip laundry, wash towels
    ✔️22. Boil 1 dozen eggs for snacks this week
    23. Refill Mom’s pill dispenser
    24. Clean LR window & blinds
    25. Clean out my purse
    26. Rake carpet
    27. Order more baskets for laundry closet
    28. Dust ceiling fan
    29. Fix loveseat cover
    30. Dust LR furniture
    ✔️31. Prep Dinner
    32. Fold & put away laundry load #1
    ✔️33. Strip the daily mail
    34. Vacuum
    35. Mop
    36. Update expense tracker
    37. Update bujo self-care tracker
    38. Order groceries
    39. Install new shower head
    40. Set up new body weight scale
    41. Walk-thru. Pick-up, Put-away.
    42. Check water in CPAP machine
    43. Tidy kitchen
    44. Update food diary
    45. Night meds & eye drops
    46. Fold and put away laundry load #2
    47. Check Mom’s bedroom & bathroom
    48. Mom’s night routine
    49. Soaking bath for me
    50. Audiobook & sleep

Now - I’m off to tackle some of these as quickly as I can.

— Ginger-in-Texas

26. Rake carpet?
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,599 Member
    Dance recital for youngest grand daughter tonight. She is a beautiful dancer. It is the first time I have seen her dance pointe. Oldest grandson was"starving" and not wanting to be there....imagine a teenage boy not wanting to be there 🤪 Mamaw to the rescue for food anyway. I had two protein bars in my purse. He was better after that. Of course that meant nothing for me on way home, but a little hinger never hurts. I will share pics tomorrow from computer. Phone and MFP don't play well together where pictures are concerned.
    Time for some shut eye!
    TTFN
    Kylia in Ohio where I have the heat on again!
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Machka9 -
    Yes, I have a carpet rake. When I rake it good before vacuuming - it lifts the carpet fibers. And, that helps the vacuum get more of the deeper dirt. And, I’m amazed by how much better the carpet looks and feels afterwards. I use a Grandi Groom AB24 Carpet Rake, 18-Inch Head, 54-Inch Handle. I had our carpet professionally cleaned and they used a rake before and after the cleaning. Using it after cleaning - lifts the fibers again so the carpet dries faster.

— Ginger-in-Texas
  • Machka9
    grogers511 wrote: »
    Machka9 -
    Yes, I have a carpet rake. When I rake it good before vacuuming - it lifts the carpet fibers. And, that helps the vacuum get more of the deeper dirt. And, I’m amazed by how much better the carpet looks and feels afterwards. I use a Grandi Groom AB24 Carpet Rake, 18-Inch Head, 54-Inch Handle. I had our carpet professionally cleaned and they used a rake before and after the cleaning. Using it after cleaning - lifts the fibers again so the carpet dries faster.

— Ginger-in-Texas

What kind of carpet do you have?

Ours is an old Berber and somehow I don't think a rake would work with that.

https://www.godfreyhirst.com/na/carpet/carpet-explained/carpet-types

M in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Bananas - DH has always been happy to do housework, but we could never seem to want to do it at the same time and it caused problems. Now we have scheduled it in the diary. If it doesn't work out I will look for another cleaner.
    He can cook as well, but I enjoy it and I would rather have him do all the washing up! I hate it.

I've signed up with the Polyglot club, but I'm finding their website very skittish. I might try a different one.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Let us know how the co-cleaning goes!
    I actually haven't been involved with the polyglot club. A friend or two dragged me to some polyglot club get togethers many years back ( more than 10 years ago) so I went one or two times to informal picnics and a party I think. it was mostly English-french youngish people. like a Swiss student wanting to work on his French and able to teach German or English...and masses of French people wanting to work on their English. back then I think it was pretty active;
    they had: informal get togethers, more formal language exchanges (1h French, 1h xxx) and other stuff. I never looked into online stuff, or not much.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,809 Member
    <3
  • bananasandoranges
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Machka and Carol it sounds like the right approach for you. I'm all for it if it works! My mom took something starting at about age 70 when she went to a nursing home (and also had therapy). Previous to that she had been contentious for years, and she became much more pleasant and a much better listener. I don't know if it was the therapy or the pills or both but I saw notable progress at age 70. However I think she did gain weight and I'm not sure how it worked out physically. She seemed way less in shape, but maybe that was just the aging (or maybe the combo there too). It definitely works for some people. (placebo or "real").

I wish we could get my mother in law on some kind of meds that would help her- she was on some that seemed to help but then some "friend" of dh's brother(who passed away- we never heard of this woman or another one before Albert died)-told her she shouldn't take them. What ever this woman says MIL does-doesn't listen to or believe what DH tells her. She just stepped in, undermines what ever little progress we get with MIL- it is really hard. She is an old angry, bitter little Japanese woman. She is always bad but so much worse after Sophia comes to visit her for the day(now she is trying to get MIL to sell her house and move in with her- she has done that with two of her relatives and taken all their money)MIL will not listen to us most of the time. After a few weeks pass after the visit, MIL starts bad mouthing Sophia, until she visits again. She is only nice to me when I cook for her- otherwise she is bad mouthing me to my husband. I can honestly say(and I have never ever felt like this about any other person ever) , that I will be so relieved when she dies. So much drama in our home because of her. So many years of it and we are all so tired of it.

@dlfk202000 wow, that sounds like a nightmare. do you see your mother in law often ? do you think this Sophia is a con artist who was not really a friend of your BIL ?
  • bananasandoranges
    Debbie thinking of you with your father's passing. Is your ex husband coming finally? Do you think your DH has complex feelings about your dad's passing?

Allie I'm so sorry about your friend passing. And also about your best friend's accident.

Ginny I'm sorry about your grieving for your DH. You must miss him a lot after so many years together. I get that about moving close to your kids. At one point I thought of moving closer to one of my sister's but she said they toy with moving out of the country for retirement.
  • bananasandoranges
    Michelle I'm very sorry about your Bonnie
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Mine would be slightly different.

Replace the cooking one and laundry one with a couple weeks where my main activities are cycling, hiking, running or canoeing. Then I come home, curl up and read a book. :)

The rest of them are all right. :)

agti3drcpq1q.png

Machka in Oz

I can go for all of those!

• bananasandoranges
    Tina I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. all my condolences.

Heather what about this?
    https://www.meetup.com/Brighton-English-German-Language-Exchange-Meetup/ looks mostly young but not only! "We're a group who meet up regularly to chat about this, that and everything in between in German. No matter whether you're fluent, advanced or pretty rusty, if you fancy an evening of German conversation, come along!"
  • bananasandoranges
    Heather great new about deciding on your trip! I went to Iceland a few years ago on a 2 day "stopover" on the way to the usa. I actually had serious belly aches, then so it didn't work out so well, (I was too shaky to go on daylong excursions and discover the country side or seaside which are most of the interest of Iceland) but it was still so interesting to have that little experience. And friends who have been have loved it. A massive amount of free, natural hot tubs/hot springs is pretty awesome, and the moon-like rocky landscape. I imagine you are going in warm season (so won't see the northern lights?) When did you book for? Is there a rule that all cruise travellers have to be vaccinated ?
  • bananasandoranges
    Ginger if you have netflix they have a new series on sleep that is kind of guided meditation and explanation about sleep.
  • bananasandoranges
    KP - Sounds as if you have a huge amount on your shoulders. <3 Well done on the alcohol. It is such a false friend. I know I , and a couple of other women on this thread, occasionally get annoyed with ourselves because of the friendship.
    Be proud of all you are accomplishing. Do you have any real life support?

Tina - So sorry to hear about your friend. 51 is too young. <3 (((HUGS)))
    I think my hesitation about seizing the day was more about DH not understanding the maths of the situation. If someone has 300 dollars and spends 30, they have 270 left. If someone has 100 dollars and spends 30, they only have 70. They have spent a much higher percentage.
    Money is not an easy subject between us. :'(
    We might have another discussion today. I am torn. Part of me thinks it is right to go next year while he really wants to and is fit enough, blow the money, and another part wants to wait for the following year. But he would be 77 by then. Who knows what our state of health will be by then!. We both really want to see Iceland and Greenland. One trip is just Iceland and the other, more expensive alternative, is both. We could, I think, take the option of changing our Mediterranean cruise in March to the Greenland one in July, which we haven't discussed. I'm not sure how I feel about that as I'm looking forward to seeing places on the Med I've never been to.( OK, decided, not cancelling!! :o )
    It is 'only' money and when it's gone, it's gone. >:)

Thank you ladies for letting me think it through. I realise I am very privileged to even have the option. In a way my cruises are my pets , they keep me going throughout the year with happiness when I think of them. B) My constant companions.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I’m very excited for you that you decided to go for it. I’ve had too many sudden changes in my life that makes me want to take every opportunity I get.

Your comment about the math is so true. My daughter and her, at the time boyfriend, husband had an ongoing dispute that I got caught in the middle of were splitting bills 50/50. My daughter didn’t even have 2.00 for a coffee one day. When he travelled for school he wasn’t stocking the fridge. I was furious. I convinced her that they really needed to take a closer look when he was making 40.00/hour and her 14.00 it was extremely unfair. They both got angry with me, but after a month or so they had sat down and made a plan that worked for both of them. They started having a monthly budget meeting and have done very well ever since.

Tracey

I don't have massive experience, but at one point I was in a very serious relationship with a guy who was more in business and me in teaching, so, as is sometimes the case, he made considerably more than me. we didn't cohabitate due to logistics, so "in regular life we took care of our own expenses, and made our own choices when do invite one another (He liked to eat out a lot, and If we ate out, on average, I probably paid 1/3 of the time, but there was no rule). When on trips we shared budgets and we contributed proportional amounts of cash into a money pouch. every time I would put in 1/3 euros and him 2/3. he said at first he felt uneasy with that but then he felt good about that.
  • bananasandoranges
    exermom wrote: »
    M – I’m a bit surprised that it took so long for you to get your jab. Well...glad you got it anyway. Is your hubby going to get it? Or is it going to be too much for him emotionally to get it? If he doesn’t, will he still have to wear a mask? If so, won’t he wonder why some people do and others don’t?

Michele NC

Getting my vax was really quick. Much faster than I imagined ... I had expected to get it this coming October.
    We are trying to get my husband the Pfizer vax and yes, of course he wants it. He's very concerned about safety.

However, at the moment, the clinics are offering only what they have on hand and most have Astra-Zenica which we don't want. We are hoping that will change next month.

No one has to wear masks outside of the Emergency Department and Airports. Our last locally transmitted case was over a year ago so there's no reason to wear masks.

M in Oz

it changed pretty quickly in France. they were trying to pan off the astra Zeneca and most people weren't having it so they eventually got more Pfizer. it was hard to get but now they are doing 500,000 shots a day. offering to 18 year olds. a few of months ago only people with list of major health issues, certain health care people, or people over 75, then 70, then 65, then 60, then 55, then 50 could get shots. they tried to say that people 55 to 60 (me) could only have astra Zeneca but that people under 55 could not and people over 60 were free to choose their vaccine. I was able to get a doctor's note to get Pfizer.
  • Machka9
    exermom wrote: »
    M – I’m a bit surprised that it took so long for you to get your jab. Well...glad you got it anyway. Is your hubby going to get it? Or is it going to be too much for him emotionally to get it? If he doesn’t, will he still have to wear a mask? If so, won’t he wonder why some people do and others don’t?

Michele NC

Getting my vax was really quick. Much faster than I imagined ... I had expected to get it this coming October.
    We are trying to get my husband the Pfizer vax and yes, of course he wants it. He's very concerned about safety.

However, at the moment, the clinics are offering only what they have on hand and most have Astra-Zenica which we don't want. We are hoping that will change next month.

No one has to wear masks outside of the Emergency Department and Airports. Our last locally transmitted case was over a year ago so there's no reason to wear masks.

M in Oz

it changed pretty quickly in France. they were trying to pan off the astra Zeneca and most people weren't having it so they eventually got more Pfizer. it was hard to get but now they are doing 500,000 shots a day. offering to 18 year olds. a few of months ago only people with list of major health issues, certain health care people, or people over 75, then 70, then 65, then 60, then 55, then 50 could get shots. they tried to say that people 55 to 60 (me) could only have astra Zeneca but that people under 55 could not and people over 60 were free to choose their vaccine. I was able to get a doctor's note to get Pfizer.

Australia has just recently got ahold of Moderna, so I figure that our options will improve soon.

https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/the-hon-greg-hunt-mp/media/australia-secures-moderna-vaccines

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    vb5ksgwjb002.png
  • bananasandoranges
    Ginny, thinking of you and hoping your healthcare is going as well as possible.