I hope no can relate, but I bet some of us do

2»

Replies

• metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    I feel this. Thanks for sharing your story. I have an addiction to food, too. Is there an emotional piece for you, as well? For me, food is really rarely about hunger and frequently about pain.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited May 2021
    Now, we are all allowed to beat ourselves up for maybe two days .. tops. But, then knock It off. You have your health. .it is just pounds,,. fat.. it can be lost. In fact, you know how to lose it. You've mastered that three times. So, now you have to master maintaining. You have that vital piece of the puzzle done. So? The tenacity you show in losing the weight?... put that into maintaining.
    Sounds like you keep beer in the house,., and ice cream. Time to make those items something you eat and drink when you go to a restaurant ..so you can't indulge too much at home. See? make little rules.. see where you slip up and set yourself up for success. Also. Why do you keep your fat clothes? Think on that.. donate them this time as you lose. A vote of confidence in yourself that you never plan on going back.

Give yourself a break.. most everyone regains their weight a few times.. and we all regain part of it.. and have to keep working at it.
  • Igo4snow
    Igo4snow Posts: 3 Member
    I can see you/we/all of us here have had the same issue to some extent. I have been battling the same 50 lbs. since 2008 & mind you those pounds are 50 pounds over where I really want to be!
    At one point in 2012 I had lost 50+ pounds, started dating again, met my wife(married in 2018) & let my weight & eating slip to as I was 343 on my wedding day. UGH!!!
    My “low” point/rock bottom was Christmas Day 2020, I weighed myself, as I do almost every day and saw 359 lbs. I’m 6ft and for the most part carry my weight in the abdomen area & I say that I generally carry my weight well as I really only have a big “gut”.
    I chose to start over again after Christmas Day and with some ups & downs I’m glad to say that I’m down to 341 lbs this morning (loss of 18 total).
    I have felt for years that I’m “destined to be fat” but I’m also trying to look at it differently & take more responsibility for what I do.
    I’m trying to move more as I was promoted to a different position at work in 2017 and it’s a desk job compared to the physical position I had previously.
    It’s getting harder I feel as I’m now 48 years old & feeling more pains & such. My thoughts are that I need to keep pushing thru harder & watching what I do with more responsibility on my part.
    I find it somewhat difficult as my wife is on her own journey to weight loss & wellness too, but she states that she loves/likes how I am no matter what size I am. I truly appreciate her love, but it makes being determined a little more difficult!
    We all just need to take it one step & one day at a time! I would love to have way more weight off by now, but I feel that the slower I have been this time, the more rewarding each pound has been!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    I can feel your feelings of discouragement coming through your post, OP. But even more that that, what comes through to me is how much you have going for you. It sounds like lots of important things in your life are in a really good place (especially having a partner who is your rock-- always treasure that). You had a positive feeling about your body at your high weight. You have had success losing, so you KNOW you have the skills and persistence to do it. You have learned the pitfalls of maintaining for you personally from your experience of regaining. You have stopped the gain before surpassing your prior high weight. These are all important attributes that will help you reach you physical & mental health goal.

Maybe have a good think about where you are right now -- the strengths you can employ to reach your goal and the internal obstacles you want to overcome. Introspection for me always is more fruitful if I write my thoughts as I work them out, but I realize not everyone is that way. But if you do write out a list of both, I have a feeling your list of strengths will be much much longer than your list of internal obstacles. Really lean on those strengths! Deploy them early and often! For the obstacles, think of reasonable alternatives -- if you have a habit of thinking or reacting that is working against you, ponder a substitute habit. Make one small change at a time. I'm a big believer that the ONLY way we make lasting profound change in our lives is through tiny things done faithfully, not an isolated Herculean effort done once.

One last thought. I've been maintaining my weight 30+ years. My weight has always been a battle (or I wouldn't be here), but it is a battle that for the most part I have been winning. I maintain in a 5lb range. You are a really tall guy, so maybe the appropriate maintenance range for you is 10lb. Successful maintenance, IMHO, is regaining and re-losing the same 5lb (or 10lb or whatever it is for you) over and over. So if successful, you will ALWAYS be re-gaining and re-losing weight, but just in a smaller range. You have done great. Give yourself some credit.