Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Eating less Meat won't save the Planet. Here's Why

2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    xrj22 wrote: »
    I think the #'s quoted by the "save the planet" people are slanted one direction, and the # cited in this video are slanted in the other direction. While pointing out errors made by the vegans, they are making their own errors in reasoning. For instance, they say that methane from cows is basically carbon neutral because it is recycled through the grass, which turns it back into oxygen. However, what they fail to point out is that without cows eating the grass, the grass would be a net *producer* of oxygen, and could help to off-set carbon produced by fossil fuels. So, the cows turn land that could be oxygen producing (i.e carbon lowering), and make it carbon neutral.

Also, this video says that cow don't waste land because they use "marginal" land which can't be farmed. What they don't mention is that cows still *ruin* this land. Without cows, that land would grow much larger and more varied grasses, brush, trees, etc. Which would produce a lot MORE oxygen, not to mention habitat for wildlife, prevent erosion, and trap water in the local eco-system rather than have it run-off to the ocean or evaporate and wind up in the ocean. Once water ends up in the ocean, it is essentially lost to ecology and and wildlife.

Well, if we're being honest here, the worst thing to happen to our environment has been humans. If you're comparing the damage that cows do to the environment to the damage that humans caused, humans will come out as the bigger villains every time. The environment was likely at it's best before humans came along.

And to be additionally honest, I wouldn't categorize the damage cows have done as THEIR fault. It's the domestication combined with the concentrations required to maximize profit/meet demand for meat and dairy that's creating the issues. Those were our decisions and actions.
  • CinnamonSnap
    CinnamonSnap Posts: 11 Member
    I Personally think it is less about saving the planet and more about the individual animals that are locked in factories, I doubt anything will ever save the planet because no matter what it is there will be always people who refuse to do it, but I Personally don't eat meat because of the animal abuse that happens in factories.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Save the planet ???

Which planet ?
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Save the planet ???

Which planet ?

"The" planet.
    It's that flat one you are currently sitting on!
    1680x1050_discworld-terry-pratchett-wallpaper-e1367902680361.jpg
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Save the planet ???

Which planet ?

"The" planet.
    It's that flat one you are currently sitting on!
    1680x1050_discworld-terry-pratchett-wallpaper-e1367902680361.jpg

that's silly..... everyone knows that it takes more than two elephants to hold up the Earth from the turtle's back.