Myfitnesspal

Message Boards MFP Suggestions/Feedback
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Walking

hkranch2hkranch2 Member Posts: 1 Member Member Posts: 1 Member
Why can't someone come up with a better way of recording? I walk with a gizmo that counts steps. I found out that for my height, that the average stride rate is 2,321 steps per mile. Since you are only allowed to record minutes, I would put in 30 minutes for moderate walking in a day. 2 miles would be 4642 steps or 60 minutes, 3 miles would be 6,963 steps or 90 minutes, and 4 miles would be 9284 steps or 120 minutes. This is the only way I can record anything for me. There are probably better ways but I am trying to have the most info for me.

Replies

• corinasue1143corinasue1143 Member Posts: 5,380 Member Member Posts: 5,380 Member
    My pedometer also counts active time. It cost about $15 at Walmart. I divide steps by minutes for speed, record the minutes.
    I agree with you. I track total steps/day in a separate graph. It would be nice to do it on MFP
  • goal06082021goal06082021 Member Posts: 1,114 Member Member Posts: 1,114 Member
    Why not...time your walks? Like, either use an actual stopwatch or just make note of the time you started/finished, to see if your walking speed is actually 2 mph (30-minute miles). Wear a watch, text a loved one when you start and finish so you have a timestamped note in your phone, whatever you gotta do.

You know how many steps you take in a mile on average (2321). If you also know how long you were walking, you can figure out your speed using your steps to calculate distance. Then you can pick the appropriate entry from the exercise database, and you already know your time.

edit to add: Unless you aren't specifically walking for exercise on purpose and are just counting steps throughout the day as you go about your business - in that case, you should adjust your activity level so those calories burned are already accounted for, if you're pretty consistent with your daily steps. If you're currently Sedentary and are logging thousands of steps per day, change yourself to Lightly Active or maybe even Active, if you're really racking them up.
    edited June 2
  • SilverJem77SilverJem77 Member Posts: 33 Member Member Posts: 33 Member
    I use MapMyFitness. It keeps track of my route, walk duration, average pace, etc. The best part is that it syncs with MFP automatically too.