Myfitnesspal

Message Boards MFP Suggestions/Feedback
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

MFP are doing their calorie calculations wrong for REMAINING calories.

13»

Replies

• norman_catesnorman_cates Member, Premium Posts: 95 Member Member, Premium Posts: 95 Member
    If the entries were randomly inaccurate, then they would probably balance out over some time.

If everything was inaccurate one way or another, then yes this would be a trend that shows in graphs like these.

I've done a quick estimation on the entries that I have (4000 ish) and they show that the calorie values are about 7% higher than if the macros get added up. Which implies that in fact I was eating about 150-200 calories LESS than I thought. So the deficit is even higher. So the rate of weight loss is even less than expected.

I have NOT at this stage gone back to all those entries for the two months last year and checked them all against food labels and official information. That might be a useful exercise but it fills me with dread right now.

Regardless of what happens with that data, I am girding my loins for another 2 months of very comprehensive data recording, and yes checking values against official sources. I'll be doing this with MyNetDiary since I can get the data out.

• norman_catesnorman_cates Member, Premium Posts: 95 Member Member, Premium Posts: 95 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    As a counterpoint, here is the graph of my initial weight loss vs the predicted rate of loss based on calculated exercise and food. This wasn't done with MFP, but with a similar tool. My rate of loss is significantly higher than predicted.

qfvy6xmzmq2z.jpg

So what does this prove? Most likely that I overestimated the food that I ate, underestimated my exercise calories, and that I apparently have a higher NEAT than I anticipated, which has been my observation several times since then.

Cool. So your body does something different again. That's fine.

My point is that MY body is doing something different than the estimated.
    heybales wrote: »
    "This was done over 2 months of lock down where I used that "opportunity" to record exactly what I consumed, exactly what calories I burned. I am 100% confident that I did that to the best of the accuracy of the tools I have."

That is the problem, not with CICO, but believing CICO number can be put down on paper and be 100% correct.

Food labels are allowed to be 20% off, for even the weighed amount eaten.
    The actual calories in fruit & vegetables with high water content can vary greatly.

Your Fitbit if it used HR-based calorie burn for all exercise was off.
    Your Fitbit for daily burn if distance of steps walked wasn't correct was off.
    Your BMR as basis for Fitbit daily burn could be 5% off.

If you've been dieting for awhile, the CI has likely effected the CO and your body has adapted - that amount throws another monkey wrench in the paper figures.

I know that food values and calories from exercise are somewhat estimated. I'm not expecting full accuracy.

But if the inaccuracy is random then it should balance out in the long term. Like over a few weeks or a month. Unless I'm eating the exact same foods for weeks, in which case the inaccuracy will be compounded.

If the Fitbit accuracy is randomly inaccurate, then same thing. It will balance out.

If its inaccurate in one direction then that would certainly account for a different graph slope.

And your last line about CI affecting CO is acknowledgement that CI and CO are not the be all and end all that people want us to believe.

I got told off for wanting to drop my calories in to below 1500 cal at one point. Even though that seems to be the only way I can drop the weight. Even when exercising, I have to have unreasonably low calorie intake.

And your statements just even more make me throw my hands in the air and ask what's the point? If nothing we can track is worth a damn, then why bother?

I just despair that in 30 years of researching and looking at this stuff, the entire industry doesn't agree about anything. We are all on our own and have to do the experiments on ourselves.
    Regardless, I'm done with MFP. Mainly because of the impossibility of getting data exported usefully. And also the general attitude of the staff being less than helpful and competent.

I will be using MyNetDiary and using the lessons I've learned here to try to make that more accurate and consistent.

I really hope that everyone here who has contributed will make the same contribution to new people to make sure they know the limitations and to check everything, even if it looks accurate.

And I really hope you show some extra compassion toward people who are doing the best they can, and its just not going right.

• lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 7,303 Member Member Posts: 7,303 Member
    If the entries were randomly inaccurate, then they would probably balance out over some time.

If everything was inaccurate one way or another, then yes this would be a trend that shows in graphs like these.

I've done a quick estimation on the entries that I have (4000 ish) and they show that the calorie values are about 7% higher than if the macros get added up. Which implies that in fact I was eating about 150-200 calories LESS than I thought. So the deficit is even higher. So the rate of weight loss is even less than expected.

I have NOT at this stage gone back to all those entries for the two months last year and checked them all against food labels and official information. That might be a useful exercise but it fills me with dread right now.

Regardless of what happens with that data, I am girding my loins for another 2 months of very comprehensive data recording, and yes checking values against official sources. I'll be doing this with MyNetDiary since I can get the data out.

The most common error is likely people putting in cals correctly and leaving out fields that don't interest them, so if you have been going by macros and not cals, that's the problem. It would likely be fine if you checked entries when they seemed off and went by cals if they were inconsistent. It seems like you were going by macros and therefore eating over your cals, even based on what MFP was telling you.
  • cmriversidecmriverside Member Posts: 31,460 Member Member Posts: 31,460 Member
    Regardless, I'm done with MFP. Mainly because of the impossibility of getting data exported usefully. And also the general attitude of the staff being less than helpful and competent.

I will be using MyNetDiary and using the lessons I've learned here to try to make that more accurate and consistent.

I really hope that everyone here who has contributed will make the same contribution to new people to make sure they know the limitations and to check everything, even if it looks accurate.

And I really hope you show some extra compassion toward people who are doing the best they can, and its just not going right.

Yeah, you've mentioned several times that you're moving your data.

Good luck.

I mean, no matter where you go - there you are. We HAVE posted about this stuff, over and over and over, AND it's in the sticky threads all over the forums.

None of this is an exact science. Re-read heybales's post over and over till it sinks in.

It's not *just* food entries that affect weight loss. It's not just macros lining up with calories, either. It's not even really about macros at all. I lost most of my weight while eating pretty low protein and high carb and high fat.

It's all a big Experiment with each person having individual habits and errors. You just find your particular ones, keep stepping on the body-weight scale and adjust.

Good luck.
  • try2againtry2again Member Posts: 3,563 Member Member Posts: 3,563 Member
    Just read through the thread... was there ever any mention by the OP of using a food scale? One might think, with their extensive concerns about accuracy, that this would be a given, but maybe not?