Optimal Vitamin D Amount

Options
2»

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    NVintage wrote: »
    T <3 hanks! I found this Vitamin D calculator and how to adjust for sun exposure. I wonder how accurate it is... I am taking the D3 not D2. I'm surprised it takes that long to get levels up. Maybe 50,000 per week isn't as much as I thought?!
    https://vitamind3-cholecalciferol.com/vitamin-d-dosage/
    yirara wrote: »
    Do search online for a vitamin D calculator. It's possible to calculate how much vitamin D you need to raise your level from a tested to a normal level. Chose 3 month supplementation, and then the calculator will tell you how much D you need per day to get there. Just check you chose the right unit from the blood test.
    DeeDee2211 wrote: »
    I take 50,000 IUs twice a week and have been taking it for at least 9 years. After reading this post, I went back and checked what my level was when I was tested in March of this year...my level is now 52.2. It says normal levels are 30.0 - 100.0. My lowest level was 19.0. It has made a huge difference in the way I feel. I was told the older you get the less Vitamin D your body will absorb on its own. Once you add sunscreen in (which I do), you absorb even less. I’m guessing you’re taking the prescription Vitamin D 2, 1.25 MG (50,000 units)? Follow what the dr said, I’m sure they will keep a check on your levels. It will make you feel so much better! Wishing you the best.
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Many people need more than the recommended daily amount and if your levels are very low, you may be placed on a jumbo dose.

I live in sunny Southern California, am outside a lot and am still deficient despite having taken a multivitamin plus a separate vitamin D supplement for years. But, I am also religious about sunscreen because I burn so easily. I am on a 5000units per day dose and am now borderline low/normal after a year.

that's why I mentioned the calculator. If you're really deficient then 50k per week isn't really much. Basically: let people find out themselves :D sorry
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    True, thanks! I'm feeling a lot better after a week. I did wait one extra day to take it since I've been in the sun so much the past couple days. That calculator helps for a good guesstimate!!!
    NVintage wrote: »
    T <3 hanks! I found this Vitamin D calculator and how to adjust for sun exposure. I wonder how accurate it is... I am taking the D3 not D2. I'm surprised it takes that long to get levels up. Maybe 50,000 per week isn't as much as I thought?!
    https://vitamind3-cholecalciferol.com/vitamin-d-dosage/
    Do search online for a vitamin D calculator. It's possible to calculate how much vitamin D you need to raise your level from a tested to a normal level. Chose 3 month supplementation, and then the calculator will tell you how much D you need per day to get there. Just check you chose the right unit from the blood test.
    DeeDee2211 wrote: »
    I take 50,000 IUs twice a week and have been taking it for at least 9 years. After reading this post, I went back and checked what my level was when I was tested in March of this year...my level is now 52.2. It says normal levels are 30.0 - 100.0. My lowest level was 19.0. It has made a huge difference in the way I feel. I was told the older you get the less Vitamin D your body will absorb on its own. Once you add sunscreen in (which I do), you absorb even less. I’m guessing you’re taking the prescription Vitamin D 2, 1.25 MG (50,000 units)? Follow what the dr said, I’m sure they will keep a check on your levels. It will make you feel so much better! Wishing you the best.
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Many people need more than the recommended daily amount and if your levels are very low, you may be placed on a jumbo dose.

I live in sunny Southern California, am outside a lot and am still deficient despite having taken a multivitamin plus a separate vitamin D supplement for years. But, I am also religious about sunscreen because I burn so easily. I am on a 5000units per day dose and am now borderline low/normal after a year.

that's why I mentioned the calculator. If you're really deficient then 50k per week isn't really much. Basically: let people find out themselves :D sorry

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I tested deficient while already supplementing, so my Dr recommended a higher dose. I switched to vitacost vitamin D3 5,000 IU. I will use the 5k IU mostly during the winter or when I'm not outside much, them switch to a 1,000 IU in the summer or when I'm out more. My last blood work showed my levels in normal range.
  • suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    At my annual physical in December, I asked my doctor to test my iron levels since it was low when I went to donate blood a couple of times. I was also feeling tired a lot of the time. She also tested my vitamin D. When the bloodwork came back the iron was fine but my D was at the low end of normal. My doctor wanted to prescribe a weekly high dose pill but I find it easier to remember to take my supplements daily.

I found this calculator https://www.grassrootshealth.net/project/dcalculator/ and used it to determine what I needed to do. (And confirmed my plan with my doctor.) She asked me come back to retest 3 months later (it was a little over 4 before I made it back in), and what I did worked! I set my target at 20 ng/ml higher than what I tested at my physical. I had to do high doses for a week or two but have had to keep taking 7000 IU per day in addition to my multi vitamin and the foods I eat.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    I was found to be VitD deficient about 10 yrs ago.

After varying the dosage a couple of yrs to find the "right" amount for me, I have since seen taking one 10k IU gel tab of VitD every other day for an ave of 5k IU per day, which puts my VitD level at the "normal" level based on annual blood testing.

However, everyone is different and the only way that you can find the "right" level is for you, is to get your VitD blood level tested regularly and adjust the VitD dosage that you are taking accordingly.