Options
13»

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Lietchi wrote: »
    This is how myths about breaking plateaus get started, coincidences being interpreted as a causal effect :mrgreen:

Yeah, I think sometimes the "plateau breaking" strategies are just a good distraction, until the thing happens that was going to happen anyway. Then the whoosh gets attributed to the "plateau breaker" because human brains love to interpret correlation as causation. An exception, sometimes, may be the stress/cortisol/water retention plateau that breaks after someone lets loose and eats near/above maintenance.

But some of the things like switching exercise routine (because "it stopped burning calories now that you're used to it" or "body confusion"), or drinking lots more water when already adequately hydrated, eating some magical foods or combinations (unless much less sodium/carbs)? I'm skeptical, generally.

I heard that cream pastry breaks plateaus. I might try this tonight and report back.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,041 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    This is how myths about breaking plateaus get started, coincidences being interpreted as a causal effect :mrgreen:

Yeah, I think sometimes the "plateau breaking" strategies are just a good distraction, until the thing happens that was going to happen anyway. Then the whoosh gets attributed to the "plateau breaker" because human brains love to interpret correlation as causation. An exception, sometimes, may be the stress/cortisol/water retention plateau that breaks after someone lets loose and eats near/above maintenance.

But some of the things like switching exercise routine (because "it stopped burning calories now that you're used to it" or "body confusion"), or drinking lots more water when already adequately hydrated, eating some magical foods or combinations (unless much less sodium/carbs)? I'm skeptical, generally.

I heard that cream pastry breaks plateaus. I might try this tonight and report back.

Too bad you're so distant: I'm in "time for a treat" mode, too (have been dropping through my maintenance range, in my case). If closer geographically, it would be fun to invite you to go out for cream pastry . . . or maybe a nice beer. 😉

(BTW: I completely empathize with need to share puzzlement, get some support. It seemed pretty clear that you weren't hyper freaked out by the circumstances, as some newer to the process frequently - sadly - seem to be.)
  • yirara
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Too bad you're so distant: I'm in "time for a treat" mode, too (have been dropping through my maintenance range, in my case). If closer geographically, it would be fun to invite you to go out for cream pastry . . . or maybe a nice beer. 😉

(BTW: I completely empathize with need to share puzzlement, get some support. It seemed pretty clear that you weren't hyper freaked out by the circumstances, as some newer to the process frequently - sadly - seem to be.)

Oh yes, I wish that would be possible. I'm sure we would have a wonderful time together - with a beer.

(nah, I'm indeed not freaking out too quickly. I know how the process works, and I know I'm a whoosher. This was a record though. Oh well...)
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    No fainting allowed! That's my thing and I hate being immitated! 😕
  • yirara
    Options
    No fainting allowed! That's my thing and I hate being immitated! 😕

I could easily lose weight below 61kg, but then my blood pressure really goes crazy and really low. Not good. Not having a too low weight while still being in the normal range is not always advisable.
    I was at the pool today for swimming a few laps. Rested afterwards, though I could improve on my 100m speed and do another 4 laps, stood up... nearly fell into the pool. Ho hum...
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I faint 2-3 times a year on average... doctors have been trying to figure it out since I was a teenager. More vigorously since I gave myself a serious head injury in 2019 going down on concrete. I joke about it because it's just so... normal for me, but I seriously don't recommend it.

Excellent progress on the swimming! I've done all the challenges I can actually do this month, so I guess it's time to be patient for a few weeks.