124»

Replies

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 618 Member
    edited May 2023
    Nutrition in Menopausal Women: A Narrative Review

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8308420/

Please read the whole thing but interesting quick grabs-

“A population-based study that we conducted in southern Brazil showed that sedentariness rather than menopause is associated with a two-fold increased risk of overweight/obesity [8]. Therefore, exercise along with calorie restriction should be recommended in all those postmenopausal women with excess weight, for reductions in metabolic and cardiovascular risk [9].”

“In obese individuals, a previous systematic review has shown that mild low carbohydrate diet (40% of total energy) was not associated with decrease in fat mass [36]. Recently, a randomized control trial with 57 women (age 40 ± 3.5 years, BMI 31.1 ± 2.6 kg∙m−2) yielded similar results, with low-carbohydrate-high-fat diet having no superior effect on FM in comparison to a normal diet [37].”

“The best diet for weight loss is still debatable, whether low-fat, low-carbohydrate, or high-protein diet, with no evident superiority of one over the others for the specific purpose of losing weight [87].”

I’m still looking for the “proof” that this 10/70/20 is superior for whatever reason. Unless the OP would be willing to share that with us?

As an aside OP, I too think it’s great that you found something you seem to like. I hope it will remain to be for a long time. But if not, you can always fall back on tracking your calories with a food scale and logging here like a lot of these other long term success stories have. And I agree, the last 10-15lbs is tough, I’m in the same boat- ugh.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    The OP was last on over a year ago--Jan 14, 2022. Too bad, wonder how it all worked out.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    I started the Galveston Diet two weeks ago. I got the book out of the library and applied the simple framework. It's the only thing that has moved the scale in over 5 years. I'm post menopausal and for people to suggest that it's caloric deficit is simply ignorant of the impact of menopause on weight gain and loss. The combo of IF and the 10/70/20 ratio and high fiber has helped me drop 5 lbs in one week. I only have a total of 15 to lose and the last 15 are the hardest. I'm excited to lose all the weight I gained from menopause and an ankle injury (no exercise). I'm a big fan of this eating plan.

so, the combo of IF and xyz ratio and high fiber have helped you create a calorie deficit - along with the usual one-off drop many people experience when first going low carb and sometimes even when first starting a new diet

that first one week is not going to be representative of every week.

if this is a way of eating that suits you and you continue it in a calorie deficit - yes, you will lose the weight over time.

as would anyone else, menopausal woman or not, with this style of eating or any other style that gets them into a calorie deficit.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,810 Member
    I started the Galveston Diet two weeks ago. I got the book out of the library and applied the simple framework. It's the only thing that has moved the scale in over 5 years. I'm post menopausal and for people to suggest that it's caloric deficit is simply ignorant of the impact of menopause on weight gain and loss. The combo of IF and the 10/70/20 ratio and high fiber has helped me drop 5 lbs in one week. I only have a total of 15 to lose and the last 15 are the hardest. I'm excited to lose all the weight I gained from menopause and an ankle injury (no exercise). I'm a big fan of this eating plan.

so, the combo of IF and xyz ratio and high fiber have helped you create a calorie deficit - along with the usual one-off drop many people experience when first going low carb and sometimes even when first starting a new diet

that first one week is not going to be representative of every week.

if this is a way of eating that suits you and you continue it in a calorie deficit - yes, you will lose the weight over time.

as would anyone else, menopausal woman or not, with this style of eating or any other style that gets them into a calorie deficit.

If there's one lesson people can learn on MFP is that we need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight, shout out to menopausal women. Even people that count calories need to be in a calorie deficit. The graph above shows that a calorie deficit is required for any mode of eating, they just missed a few examples.Cheers
  • KnittingJag
    KnittingJag Posts: 1 Member
    I’m not sure what the paid plan refers to either. I bought the book. There’s a meal plan in it.
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    I looked it up because I didn't know what it was; apparently it's very similar to what I'm already doing.

Eliminating added sugars, processed foods, etc.-- check, I also eliminated grains altogether.

They promote 70% fats, 20% protein, and 10% carbs; I do 70% fat, 25% protein, 5% carbs.

Intermittent fasting they recommend 16:8; I do 16:8, or sometimes 18:6.

They stick to lean meats and avoid nitrates. I eat all kinds of meat, including some things with nitrates (bacon, all beef hot dogs, etc.).

They do full fat dairy, so do I.

What I've been doing has been working for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I'd never heard of it before, and found this interesting: https://abbylangernutrition.com/the-galveston-diet-review-menopause-is-the-new-diet-cash-cow/

Most of it seems like some nutrition misinformation (outlined at the link) plus a decently healthy diet (although restricting fruit for any reason other than simply personally enjoying low carb is a pet peeve). If one's diet doesn't already include 25-30 g of fiber, lots of veg, fatty fish, and lean meat, adding in those foods could cause one to lose. In that a lot of it is basically like how I eat anyway, I can't imagine just focusing on eating those foods would help with weight loss, but there certainly are people who could benefit and would improve the nutritional content of their diets.

It seems like she's not too unreasonable on the IFing -- she thinks there may be some hormonal benefits but acknowledges cals are what cause weight loss and there's no evidence that IFing with the same cals has any weight loss benefits.

My main issue is that it seems awfully expensive for a meal plan that one could easily create on one's own, but eh. Each to their own.

The link above referred to the version of the diet before the book came out and no longer works; here is a new link to an article from the same site written after the book was published January 2023:

https://abbylangernutrition.com/galveston-diet-book-review/

I dug up the original article. As a 57 year old woman, I wanted to pull out what she had to say about targeting menopausal women:

https://web.archive.org/web/20210207195213/abbylangernutrition.com/the-galveston-diet-review-menopause-is-the-new-diet-cash-cow/

The Galveston Diet Review: Menopause Is The New Diet Cash Cow

...Developed by an OB/gyn named Mary Claire Haver, the Galveston Diet is specifically for menopausal women. I’ve seen a recent trend in which the focus of the diet industry is now weight loss for perimenopausal and menopausal women.

I guess a lot of people who have been chronic dieters since the 80s and 90s, are moving into this stage of life, and the diet industry has decided to milk them of more money by pandering to their fear – and reality – of menopausal weight gain.

On one hand, I of course hate the fact that people are making money off of womens’ insecurity and cashing in on what is a completely normal process in life.

On the other hand, I’m glad that people are starting to realize that life does go on after 40. That women don’t just shrivel up and die once our periods stop. I just wish that the focus would shift off of weight, and on to how awesome we are.

Haver is a rather intense-looking person who loves using TikToks to talk about all things Galveston diet. This is just my opinion, but I find it really annoying when professionals use TikTok. Pointing at captions and making faces, it’s rather infantile and takes away from their message. Haver also claims that she has done plenty of research in her development of this diet, but none of that is available to the public. I’m wondering if it even exists. [See Langer's quibbles with Haver's conclusions from the research in the above article ~ K]

The Galveston Diet is a low-carb plus intermittent fasting program. And apparently, Dr. Haver has ‘cracked the code’ to post-menopausal weight loss with it.

I’m not sure about code-cracking, but it’s safe to say that any time you cause a caloric deficit, you’re going to lose weight. And whether that caloric deficit comes from a low-fat diet, a low-carb diet, or intermittent fasting, the results should be the same.
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    The Galveston Diet is a low-carb plus intermittent fasting program. And apparently, Dr. Haver has ‘cracked the code’ to post-menopausal weight loss with it.

lol I love how they act like no one ever thought of these things before. All marketed diets are just repackaging of everything that's been done to death and it always comes down to the same things: must be a consistent calorie deficit, exercise is a big +, and for long-term success it must be sustainable for the user or the weight comes back on.

• debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    I read through this thread hopping one of the advocates for this diet would come back and report on how it's going, sadly not.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,529 Member
    debrag12 wrote: »
    I read through this thread hopping one of the advocates for this diet would come back and report on how it's going, sadly not.

Which should tell you most of what you need to know about it in and of itself.