Just Give Me 10 Days - Round 154

Options

Replies

• musicsax
    musicsax Posts: 4,277 Member
    Options
    @musicsax Glorious photos! I’ve always wanted to walk some of the “ways” in various parts of the UK. Have you read Robert MacFarlane’s book, The Old Ways, about ancients paths, mostly on land although he include some on water? Fabulous book.

No I haven't. will get hold of a copy and read it.

We do love the old paths and always discuss how long they've been there, what they were used for and the fact that we are walking in the footsteps of people in history. I confess I'm not that much of a great reader, don't seem to have that much time ?! But do like a good read when I'm on holiday, so that's on my list !!
  • musicsax
    musicsax Posts: 4,277 Member
    Options
    @str82nichelle - have a wonderful birthday - you deserve it ! You've given your body a great present :)
  • fmfdfa2020
    fmfdfa2020 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    @str82nichelle
    Happy belated birthday!
  • CamandJarvis
    CamandJarvis Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    @str82nichelle happy (belated) birthday!

• Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    musicsax wrote: »
    Lilylady3k wrote: »
    @musicsax - Love the pictures. Looks like a great place to walk/hike!
    I noticed that you usually walk 10-12 miles each day. Could you help me understand your routine so that I too might be able to one day reach a goal like that? How long does it take usually? I'm currently at 2-3 miles per day and sometimes I do 5-6 but the heat at this time of year gets to me plus I walk so slow at this weight. Currently I'm at about a 3 mile / hr rate which I'm hoping speeds up as the weight goes down.

I am retired so don't have work to fit my walks around, in fact I almost consider my walking as the job that I love and am able to plan them around other commitments. I walk for a least 3 hours each day, sometimes in one go other times in 2 , 3 or even 4 seperate walks depending on what commitments I have for that day. I walk everywhere, very rarely using the car, if, where I need to get to is within 5 miles, don't have to carry anything that is too heavy, time restrains allow and finally it isn't raining! Then I will walk there and back. If I'm meeting up for lunch or the rain is coming in later in the morning I'll get out at 6.30 or 7 am!

I'm lucky that DH also likes walking so where as in the week I walk locally from home (pounding the pavements!) at weekends we get out to some lovely country walks with a picnic.

I love my walking, it's when I do my planning, reflecting, problem solving, meditating and really appreciating nature. For the next 10 days of my self isolation I will be going stir crazy not being able to get out walking!! Plan on sorting out my rockery, hoping that my DSs will do a doorstop drop of suitable cutting of plants from their gardens !! And plenty video calls with my 4 little DGC, two and a half year old already wanted to show me her new socks that she was wearing yesterday - I shall miss them. They live 58 & 87 miles away, but I do normally travel up to see them once per week.

@musicsax - Thank you for all the insights! I'm retired now as well and started the daily walks but have not gotten into the longer stretches. I do walk to the library and postoffice which are only 2 miles roundtrip, and we do have lovely long paths throughout our neighborhood area that I take our standard poodle on. I like your idea if you can walk to it you do that instead of a car. In the US we are so auto minded! I need to flip that switch in my mind since there are groceries, retail stores, restaurants, church, etc easily within a 2-3 mile radius of my home. My volunteering for English is second language (ESL) for adults at the church starts back up in September and before Covid I walked to it 2x per week. I need to think about other places to walk as well.
    As you say ... I too have the time since I'm retired too! Thank you for the inspiration!

As to COVID. I'm so sorry that you were exposed. I hope that you have no more than the cold symptoms (I think I remember that you already were able to get the vaccine which lessens the effects). Now you have me wondering if this sinus/cold symptoms I have after my Hot Springs mini vacation is really an exposure to COVID since Arkansas is not highly vaccinated and no masks were required anywhere. hmmmm might need to get tested myself.
  • jaccimc63
    jaccimc63 Posts: 1,733 Member
    Options
    @str82nichelle - Happy Belated Birthday!
  • jaccimc63
    jaccimc63 Posts: 1,733 Member
    Options
    @musicsax - I hope you quickly recover!