WaistAways-July Chat 2021

Replies

• conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 975 Member
    @micki48 Living with cougars is a bit scary but you kind of adapt to the idea that they are around. We definitely have rules for our kids regarding outside time. I also never walk without dogs and I avoid sunrise and sunset walks.

Grrr I'm over calories today and it will probably happen tomorrow too since it's my birthday 🎂 🙃
  • once_mas
    once_mas Posts: 160 Member
    it's my birthday 🎂 🙃

@conleywoods happy birthday :)

• DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    Happy birthday @conleywoods, have a great day!

I slept well last night, it was great and I did not want to get up this morning. I managed to avoid an afternoon/evening nap yesterday with the help of a rare energy drink. I try to avoid them now but I figured it'd get me through work, then I'd have the slump late evening and hopefully that slump would make it easier to sleep. Something worked, anyway. The temperature is dropping a couple of degrees over the next few days and and it should be back into the low (comfortable) 20s over the weekend so looking forward to feeling up to being more productive.

I don't know if I mentioned doing 24/7 cover for work - the person organising it has moved the goal posts (negatively IMO) with barely any notice, and no discussion. I believe they knew that this change was likely when we were first asked to provide cover, and I probably wouldn't have agreed in the first place on these terms. They're also slow to answer queries (not giving it the same urgency/importance as those of us providing the cover), and there's a lack of structure to it which I find challenging. I've decided to opt out; whilst extra money is always nice, it wasn't enough to justify the stress. Plus, principles lol.

This evening it'll still be very warm so I probably won't do a lot. We got several loads of washing dried yesterday and I'm planning to do two sets of bedding today. I'm still doing my stretches daily and the foam rolling 1-2 times a week so I'll do those tonight, and we were thinking of running in the morning. We have our second jabs tomorrow, and most people I know have had more effects from the second than the first but hopefully we aren't affected badly.

I'd best go - Spock (one of the cats) wants second breakfast :D
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,119 Member
    07/20 exercise - 12,035 steps

At the end of my workday, I think I'd moved about 500 steps. It's been bad.. if I don't wake up before work to walk, I often miss lunch and by the end of the day my butt and the chair have become one. So, I rallied Brad, and we went out for a 8 KM walk around the neighborhood. It was a beautiful night. I have been a little bit down in the dumps - no real reason, just work stress that I'm letting seep into all the corners of life. So, it was nice just to move, enjoy the nice weather, and take my mind off of it.

Tomorrow morning a customer is taking me and another member of my group for a round of golf and Brad and I hope to bike at night as well, so it's looking to be an active workday for me.

@KellyBgetsfit Not fun or easy to be in a funk you feel you can't shake... I feel for you for sure. Hopefully you can find some of those amazing days like the weekend for yourself again shortly. It can feel so disappointing to have those followed right by what feels like the opposite, but understandable when you're feeling the level of stress you're under.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    edited July 2021
    @KellyBgetsfit that sounds like a lot to be dealing with. The number on the scale is not going to be as bad as you think (speaking from experience, it never is!) and knowing the number gives you control over this area. In the Atomic Habits book that @ashleycarole86 mentioned, there's a guy who wanted to get into the habit of working out. I believe he gets his stuff on, goes to the gym, then comes home, to begin with. He might not even get as far as the gym. Then when that's a habit, he'll go in and do say 5 minutes training, and it builds up over time. Getting into your workout clothes is a good first step towards being active, so maybe think about what an easy second step could be?

@micki48 I'm sorry about your cousin. You've been a fab co-captain and I'm really glad you're sticking around.

Congratulations @ashleycarole86, I think you'll make a great co-captain and we're in good hands.

I definitely felt the second jab more than the first, but I wasn't as anxious going into it which was good. Last week I read a book by Ant Middleton called The Fear Bubble. The premise is that fear can (and should) be contained in bubbles which you only enter when 'the thing' is about to happen. In my case - there was no point worrying yesterday about the vaccination I was having today, and actually, until the nurse was about to put the needle in my arm I could back out at any time and therefore, that was where the fear bubble sat. I believe fear can be useful in small bursts, but if you're anxious for say 3 days, by the time 'the thing' comes around, you're too far gone to harness that fear and benefit from it. This is new to me so it wasn't fool proof, but I think it helped and I will continue to practise. Yesterday I read chick lit - everybody needs a break sometimes lol.

Ran with my friend before work, and I think we'll be doing the local ParkRun on Saturday when it reopens. My arm is already sore, and I'm having trouble with an old jaw injury following the dentist last week (plus hygienist tomorrow won't help) so otherwise I'll probably take it easy and focus on the stretches/foam rolling, and maybe a walk. The temperature is more bearable for doing things today, that's for sure! Weight wise I'm heading in the wrong direction but I've been a bit bunged up (nothing like anxiety to reverse that - there's a silver lining to every cloud lol) and may not have drunk enough, so I'm going to work on pulling that back.

I'm going to assess our to do list later and figure out a plan for this weekend. It's a free weekend - as in, no plans involving others - and now that I'm not on call, we can have some proper downtime. We're having a new boiler fitted next week so need to move a few bits for access, and we have house guests next weekend so the focus will be on cleaning and organisation. I know it probably sounds dull to many, but I find a clean and tidy house so satisfying and calming. :)
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,013 Member
    Happy Wednesday!

I'll get the update on weigh-ins done right now - I missed last night and will get ahead for tomorrow :smiley:

Through Wednesday:
    @MandiSaysHey
    @AshenMoon
    @EvMakesChanges
    @MoStacy

Thursday:
    @ashleycarole86
    @eggfreak
    @marsipan100
    @bowens1973

Thanks!
  • AshenMoon
    AshenMoon Posts: 157 Member
    CW: 219.4 woo!

My partner recently purchased an Oculus Quest 2 VR headset, I've been having a ton of fun with beat saber! Plus it gets my heart pumping which is awesome :)
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,013 Member
    @DD265
    Another interesting idea - the fear bubble. I am not sure how that would work on certain kinds of fear, but it is certainly true about some. Worrying about something when you cannot take any action about the thing is useless, so containing it in a bubble is a great idea, if possible. But fear or worry about something that you can act on is a positive in a weird kind of way. As a performer, I always found that I needed to feel that "stage fright" well in advance of the concert, recording, or whatever. If I do not feel afraid a good couple of weeks ahead of the event, there is often a bad outcome. I practice and rehearse without the urgency to be as prepared as it takes. Then panic sets in just before the performance, and that panic wreaks havoc. Being nervous ahead of time makes me prepare much more thoroughly, and builds a feeling of strength and a confidence that I can really do it when performance time rolls around. I worked with students over 37 years to explore with them all the ways to channel, contain, and prepare for the fear of stepping out on stage to do something really difficult and personal. Without it, results are not great, and there is no beautiful shining through of vulnerability or authenticity. With too much of it, everything falls apart. So it is good to make friends with the fear you can act on - and learn to control and contain the fear that causes useless spinning about in the head or bad physical reactions that do not help anything. I often use visualisations of dancing with the fear (usually to the music I'm working on) and making sure I get to lead a lot of the time, but not all of it. I like the rush of letting fear lead sometimes - adrenaline junkie...

Enough going on and on! I'd love to hear more about fear and worry, stress and their positives as well as negatives. How you live through those bad bits, what helps, what gets in the way.

@ashleycarole86
    Happy golfing today! Sounds like a good way to work. Outdoors and moving about.

@micki48
    I hope your cousin and the family are getting through this tough time all right. If there is an end, may it be peaceful. :heart:

@KellyBgetsfit
    I know babies make our lives upside down for a long time, but "I can't figure out a new one" for your exercise habit is a thought you need to change. You can figure it out. It might take some experimentation, but start with a list of a few things to try. If that first thing in the morning ideal is no longer on the table, take it off, and put some other stuff out there to try. You might not like it as much, but it is better than neglecting something that makes you feel good about yourself. If you need suggestions, I'm sure the team can help you come up with some. Along with hugs!

I had a completely crazy hike yesterday - after lunch my friend and I decided to follow someone's suggestion for a walk around the area where she is housesitting. We didn't do very well following the route and ended up hiking down a steep and very long slope in the woods to end up somewhere far from where we thought it would come out! It turned into a 90 minute fabulous hike during which we discussed everything under the sun, got very sweaty, and I was glad my wonky knee held up well. Did not need leg day yesterday!

Have a good one, all :smiley:
This discussion has been closed.