WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2021

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,352 Member
    :*
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Map vehicles-I see them often, so I assume I'm running, walking, biking, or driving in several versions. A couple of weeks ago, I saw one for the app Here We Go for the first time. I know Google blurs the faces and vehicle tags. I haven't checked the others.

I'm having motivation issues lately. I struggle to do anything. I have managed to keep exercising, even going diving twice recently, but the day to day exercise is hard. I am not motivated to work either and that will creep up on me soon.

I also appreciate the names on each post. The regular posters, I know, but until I get to know you, I like seeing it. However, I also forget to add mine sometimes.

Hope you're all doing fantastically!

Tina in CA
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,027 Member
    Well, my sister wrote my mom a letter about getting help instead of sitting on the couch all day. My mom's been weepy all day saying my sister is disappointed with her. Maybe tomorrow her mood will swing. She says she is an introvert, and elderly so it's her nature to stay home. I pointed out that it wasn't her nature two years ago. And she didn't seem to realize that now she often goes three weeks without leaving the house. But we have to wait for the emotion to die down before we can envision change. It's a process.
    Mom isn't planning on seeing the doctor until November. So there's no opportunity to use that resource before then. But thanks for the advice. She has high blood pressure but she stopped following the cardiologist instructions and I can't get her to make the next appointment. She's on the blood thinners but she is still a high risk of stroke. As is everyone past 85 or so.
    She said today that she was content to stay home. Maybe so.
    Bless all you caregivers!

Annie in Delaware
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    edited July 2021
    B)

Kim in Northern California - hot and muggy
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    Carol - Thank you! I've ordered a couple of their bras in white just now as the only time I ever wear one is to save my modesty in a white shirt or tee shirt. :p My problem is that I have a very broad swimmers back - 40 , but small breasts. Here's hoping these will work and not crush me!

Minicooper - sounds great. Service is soooooo important!

Now to wash up!

Please can everyone sign their name and location under every post. Thank you. :D

Heather UK xxxxxxxx

If you are not comfortable giving your name. Give a nickname like Pip does. General idea where you are is helpful too. It is fun seeing what is going on throughout the world through pictures and your stories. It just helps when we write a resppnse to you. It makes it easier for you to find responses too. Often our group highlights your name given here to make it easier to find or starts off a response with a given name.

:heart: Margaret Mn (90's and humid today)

We can also use @margaretturk and @cityjaneLondon to "highlight" a name. :)

Machka in the land down under the land down under!

• Machka9
    Well, my sister wrote my mom a letter about getting help instead of sitting on the couch all day. My mom's been weepy all day saying my sister is disappointed with her. Maybe tomorrow her mood will swing. She says she is an introvert, and elderly so it's her nature to stay home. I pointed out that it wasn't her nature two years ago. And she didn't seem to realize that now she often goes three weeks without leaving the house. But we have to wait for the emotion to die down before we can envision change. It's a process.
    Mom isn't planning on seeing the doctor until November. So there's no opportunity to use that resource before then. But thanks for the advice. She has high blood pressure but she stopped following the cardiologist instructions and I can't get her to make the next appointment. She's on the blood thinners but she is still a high risk of stroke. As is everyone past 85 or so.
    She said today that she was content to stay home. Maybe so.
    Bless all you caregivers!

Annie in Delaware

It is possible you might just need to make the appointment for her and take her and come into the room with her.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,501 Member
    …….
  • Machka9
    This popped up in my FB memories from 3 years ago but it's still applicable:

Make things easier on yourselves by ...

-- making sure all affairs are in order. 2 names on all accounts, enduring power of attorney, whatever it takes.

-- making sure you're fit and healthy. Being fit and healthy improves the odds. Also could you actually support and lower your partner to the ground, should he/she collapse? Do you know first aid?

-- making sure your house well set up. Are there stairs? Tight corners? Difficult showers?

-- having a look at options around you. What would you do for groceries? What if you couldn't drive? If you have never used public transportation, try it now while you're still able. What about things like doctor's offices? Hospitals? All the stuff you use? Is it scattered around and difficult to get to or quite convenient?

--making sure you've got resources. Do you have people who can offer assistance? Knowledge of who to call if you've got problems with the house? Do you know about services in your area which can help?

These are important at any age ... I know I certainly didn't expect to have to deal with all of this at the age of 51!!! But I suppose this is what's known in modern vernacular as "adulting".

Machka in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,600 Member
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,928 Member
    had a pizza mystery shop this evening. I have done mystery shops for different companies for over 20 yrs but took a break the past few years. Have been getting emails for different ones that are offering really nice bonuses which I know don't come up often so grabbed a few.
    Nice to not have to cook and get reimbursed for the food and make extra $$ on top of it is nice.
    Ate two small pieces but not much else today(wasn't feeling good until just a bit ago- candied ginger and seltzer really helped). Still under calories

I had plants that came up in my garden volunteer- didn't know if they were cantalope or cucumbers. Checked the one in the front yard and 100% sure it is melon.

dzz9p6mgl94m.png

Enjoying cucumbers and blackberries so far and two tiny little sungold cherry tomatoes

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • dlfk202000
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Map vehicles-I see them often, so I assume I'm running, walking, biking, or driving in several versions. A couple of weeks ago, I saw one for the app Here We Go for the first time. I know Google blurs the faces and vehicle tags. I haven't checked the others.

I'm having motivation issues lately. I struggle to do anything. I have managed to keep exercising, even going diving twice recently, but the day to day exercise is hard. I am not motivated to work either and that will creep up on me soon.

I also appreciate the names on each post. The regular posters, I know, but until I get to know you, I like seeing it. However, I also forget to add mine sometimes.

Hope you're all doing fantastically!

Tina in CA

our neighbors son(still lives at home) worked for one of the mapping companies- Saw the van parked out front every day for quite a while. He works for someone else now.
  • dlfk202000
    Braless - I don’t go out of the house without a bra, but there is rarely one at home. I agree with Heather, I find them constricting.

P

I am of the opinion that when you reach a certain age everyone should just leave you be to do as you wish. My family is upset with my attitude because they think I should want to do everything to live longer. My Grandmother always said she didn’t want to live past 80, she thought that was a good life. She lived to 4 months before her 96th, and she was miserable emotionally the last 2 years. Since I’ve started working in a nursing home though I see how some “children” are with their parents restricting treats, demanding treatments that just prolong the inevitable, expecting them to enjoy activities and keep “doing” when they are tired and just want to rest. I have told my girls I’m giving detailed lists of what they can and can’t do. In my opinion why would I want to prolong my life if I’m not enjoying it and who are they to say if I’m enjoying it or not?

Tracey in Edmonton

We saw this first hand with dh's aunt. She was so ready to go. She had lost both of her brothers and both of her kids. No grandkids. The only family she had was my husband whom she was not that close with until the last maybe 10yrs of her life, dh's mom whom she did NOT get along with and one cousin who had nothing to do with her(rumor was she tried to take the cousin's hubby !!!)
    She lived in an assisted living home which was really nice but the last five years she was there she told me every time. "I want to go to bed and wake up DEAD!" near the end she even asked me why I couldn't help her with that.
    She passed away at I think it was 96yrs old.

Debbie
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,330 Member
    Did Interval Party DVD then went for my walk. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Kelly Coffee Meyer’s 30 Minutes to Fitness DVD.

Barbie – I left for my walk today around 7:30.

M – I tried going braless today on my walk and it really wasn’t bad at all. I guess what I could do if I needed is wear the sports bra that I wear when I exercise at home. Yes, it’s gray and there is a rip, but the only person who sees it is me and very occasionally Vince. No one would see that under my shirt. I’m on the small side

Yesterday at bowling a lady sold me a cantaloupe. You can’t get the Burpee Hybrid variety in the store, only Athena. These are so very good and “cantaloupey” It was only $2 and so worth it. Had to cut it up last night since it was ripe, and couldn’t help myself but ate some. I swear, I could eat the whole melon in one sitting!

Kylia – Vince Just bought a Swiffer Wet Mop. The light wood in this house shows all the spots and no matter how much I spot clean, you can always see them. I wish there was some way to wax these floors. Gotta think on it now that we have the Swiffer. Maybe there’s something you can put on the floor and use the Swiffer to spread it around. Vince is a REAL plain eater, it wouldn’t surprise me if he was an even plainer eater than your husband. I’ve learned a few tricks to “hide” things in his food. Hate to tell you this, but it’s Tuesday not Thursday….lol

medee – where is CSRA?

Went in the pool. Now getting more of the towels ready to crochet the toppers while we run Hubble (the robotic vacuum) downstairs. I asked Vince for the amount of my YTD earnings and how much my last pay was for so I could put it in my landscape fund. He got defensive saying that he could tell me how much was in my fund. I forsee a blowout about it. I’ve been keeping meticulous records of the income and expenses. I don’t know where he got some of his numbers from. So when it comes time, I know that I’m going to have to really fight for the money. But I’ll just let it go for now. When the time comes I’ll remind him that his stimulus money went for a new TV (that we really didn’t need). I can’t get my stimulus money yet (it’s in the joint checking account) so that it can be used to pay bills. I was told that I would be getting the money, and I’m going to hold to that.

Started to rain so didn’t get in my evening walk. Ran Hubble (robotic vacuum) and made more of those towel toppers, just have to put the button on.

Tracey – I’m the same way as your grandmother. Vince asked me once if I had cancer wouldn’t I want chemo? He was shocked at my answer. I said “if I was 60 and had grandchildren to look forward to, then yes. But if I was 80 and had already lived my life, no” Great haircut! I would like to get bangs, but there is a part of me that is hesitant. I’m afraid that they’ll just be a bother when I cut the lawn or something. Plus, they grow out and I’m not crazy about going to the hairdresser’s all the time just for a bang cut. Maybe when the college’s beauty salon opens because I bet they’re going to be real cheap for a bang cut. I wonder if they even do it?

Better get to bed. Have to get my oil changed, the dentist in the afternoon, then ceramics at night tomorrow.

Michele NC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    B)
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,810 Member
    <3
  • Machka9
    rqbmetpybx6k.png

There is also the tired you feel when you've done a long, strenuous bicycle ride or run. The Accomplished Tired. :)

M in Oz