Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

An essay on why eating vegetables is NOT necessary for health

Mellouk89Mellouk89 Member Posts: 271 Member Member Posts: 271 Member
I thought this article was a funny and truthful, you can read it and maybe point out where you think he is wrong. But all in all, there is no essential nutrient in vegetables that you can't get elsewhere mainly in fruits and grains.

And the societal pressure of eating vegetables is completely nonsense and it's just that, a social construct.

http://www.rogermwilcox.com/vegetable/veg1.html
edited July 30

Replies

• Mellouk89Mellouk89 Member Posts: 271 Member Member Posts: 271 Member
    Yes, countless people like me hate eating vegetables, it's very common. But it's a bit silly to compare the two mostly because the benefits of eating vegetables is far less than exercising. I could add vegetables to my diet tomorrow and it wouldn't change anything in my overall well-being. I know because I forced myself to eat them in the past. The benefits of exercising can be felt almost instantly.

Yes i'm talking about societal pressure, because the majority of people pass judgment on me when I say I don't eat them. And my family were very strict in this regard, it was almost religious. It's still like that today. It's a form of brainwashing or ignorance.
  • NVintageNVintage Member Posts: 906 Member Member Posts: 906 Member
    I love veggies. Can I have your share?

Yes I don't need them, I eat plenty of fruits and grains.
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    I thought this article was a funny and truthful, you can read it and maybe point out where you think he is wrong. But all in all, there is no essential nutrient in vegetables that you can't get elsewhere mainly in fruits and grains.

And the societal pressure of eating vegetables is completely nonsense and it's just that, a social construct.

http://www.rogermwilcox.com/vegetable/veg1.html

@Mellouk89 - just wondering … why do you trust Roger M. Wilcox’s opinion on the nutritional content of vegetables?

Wilcox received is B.A. in music composition and then in later years turned to computer software. He is best known for webpages on celebrities and making parodies of movies. What in his background or experience makes you trust him as a nutritional expert?

It's largely irrelevant, I had the same opinion on the subject before I even read this article. He just managed to put words into what i've been thinking about for a long time.
    edited July 22
    I tried eating them in numerous ways for years and I still don't like them. Avocado is the only food I like on this list because it is actually high in calories whereas most vegetables have practically zero calories when taking into account digestion etc...

That's the other thing, eating a lot of vegetables would cut my appetite and for me it's not good cause I eat close to 3500 calories right now.

And if potatoes count as a vegetable then I guess I also like potatoes.
    edited July 22
  • vegetables4lifevegetables4life Member Posts: 4 Member Member Posts: 4 Member
    I love vegetables and they are great for low cal volume eating. At the end of the day you have to do what works for you and your macros , only that will be sustainable.