Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Anyone else frustrated with the CICO mantra?

12345679»

Replies

• Frank19556
    Frank19556 Posts: 28 Member
    edited August 2021
    It was an example of sticking to the simplistic dogma where it didn't apply, and meaning well. The same diet not named DASH would have had longer legs. There are other examples, but that one stood out to me in my mind. Yes, most of the time the error isn't so blatant, actually, for the most part there is no "error" at all. It is more an error of omission. I also get that the posters mean well and for the most part are very helpful.

ETA: I will put it this way. I understand that the diet industry is rife with disinformation or those that apply it wrong, and there are many posters here who spend the time to help posters see these instances and offer advice. The thing is there are instances of overreach on this, and I am sure it would not be seen by those who inadvertently do this. My post is an example of overstating, as I don't mean it as negative as it sounds. I am trying to show the balance, but I admit it is hard.
  • CICO is fact.. the problem is.. we can't actually measure it.. it's TRUE, but how many calories did you consume today.

I'm not even talking about bad nutrition data, or faulty tracking.. I'm talking about WHERE you get you calories from.

Now your doctor speaks of DIETARY calories.. and says.. lose 1 lb. a week. Great.. you need to be 3,500 calories short.. 500 a day, right? But lets say, you cut 500 calories a day out.. you should lose that 1lb. a week, right?

Why don't you? Well, food is not our only source of calories.. we are overweight, and have stored FAT.. Your body needs varying amounts of calories. What if you work out? What if you sleep half the day? Do you burn the same amount of calories? Is 1800 calories a day, what you actually burn? Is 2300 what you actually need to maintain ( 1800 + 500 )?

Of course not.. if you have a calorie deficit, you are burning fat.. which means you are consuming THOSE calories.. so you decide 1200 is the most you can eat.. but you work out, and your body needs 3500 calories for the day.. don't think what your TDEE.. that means the dietary fat needed.. we burn some fat, when we are losing weight.. we eat low enough that we break down fat.. but those calories don't get vaporized.. they break down, and we USE them.. so when you drop 3,500 calories from the diet.. if you have a calorie balance.. you lose 1 lb. of weight.. because you consumed 500 less calories? NO.NO.NO.. you consumed the same amount of calories, but you got 500 less from food, SO you burned off 1 lb. of fat. Your body still needed the same amount of calories, and you can't actually not get the calories, since you have available fat, and it can just break it down.

You used up your stored fat, to use the SAME amount of calories.. exactly what you needed, but from a different source.. stored bodyfat, instead of food.

The problem is.. the body is a complicated system.. we don't switch from glucose burning to burning ketones ( from breaking down bodyfat ), like a switch.. other factors affect us to.. fluids for example, exercise, protein/muscle building, hot weather, metabolism.

So yes, CICO is correct, and if we lived in a lab, monitored 24/7, it can be proven, but in the real world, you have no idea how much fat you burn, or when you start/stop, and when you are burning dietary glucose, and not losing ANY bodyfat/weight. You have physical cycles, drink different amounts of fluids, burn different amounts of calories.. all sorts of things.

CICO is kind of like physics.. true, but only a scientist can actually use it, because the factors involved are too complicated for us to actually measure.. especially if we are only tracking ONE factor.. food calories eaten.. or maybe that, and calories burned.. and both are probably off by 10-15% anyways. Does every large egg have 70 calories? I doubt it.. does walking on the treadmill burn 250 calories an hour, every time? Did you weigh yourself at the same time of day? Did you weigh the fluids you consumed?

CICO is true, and can be proven, the same way a scientist can explain how we went to the moon.. but CICO is like saying.. astronauts get in a rocket, and fly to the moon, and they can land in X amount of days on the surface.

Sure, we get the idea, and we know it is true, but if we tried to fly to the moon, in a rocket, we wouldn't get there on the set day.. unless we knew the 99.9999% of the other data which goes into making it actually happen.

CICO is great, IF you could actually measure calories in, and calories out.. which is impossible for the average person. It's true, but absolutely useless.

Much better to look at things we can measure and control, and use those to reach a healthy weight.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    russel, I wont quote your long post again - but just because CICO cannot be measured exactly accurately (is anyone saying it can??) it isnt worth doing or cannot be done in any useful way ???

is that what you are saying??

I don't agree with that at all.

Many things in life we cannot do accurately - hardly makes them not worth doing or not able to be done in real life ways.

I dont budget my money down to the last cent - but I do it well enough to keep my finances in order.

Calorie counting - in real life just needs to be done well enough.

• hjahangiri
    hjahangiri Posts: 56 Member
    edited September 2021
    No, I don't hate it - it's helpful so long as you understand that there are other factors involved, such as RMR - mine is 1380, meaning I can be conscious, working at my desk, and only burn 1380 calories in a day. If I don't work out, build more fat-burning muscle, eat less (a lot less) than 1380+what I burn, I'll gain weight. That's ridiculous, too, right? An athletic young man may easily burn more than 2000 calories a day just laying on the couch, watching TV.

Most of us are missing that part of the equation that tells us exactly HOW and WHY our bodies are different from the standard formula. Not the part that says 3500 calories is a pound, but the part that says how much we naturally need to sustain life and have energy to exercise vs. what's "excess."