Myfitnesspal

Message Boards MFP Suggestions/Feedback
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

REQUEST: Can you switch the placement order of the “heart” and “disagree” icons in the community?

PatriceFitnessPalPatriceFitnessPal Member Posts: 422 Member Member Posts: 422 Member
Many people seem to accidentally select the “disagree” icon when scrolling through the Community forum threads. My guess is that they are using the thumb on their right hand to scroll down and see comments that are lower on the page. If the heart and disagree icon are switched, the mistake is less likely to result in hard feelings.

Thank you for all your work to create an app that is intuitive, easy to use, and supports so many people in reaching their goals! If you can’t make the change, no worries; but I thought it was worth a try. I appreciate the work you do!
edited August 10

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan24legsRbetterthan2 Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter Posts: 19,440 MFP Moderator Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter Posts: 19,440 MFP Moderator
  • chublet25chublet25 Member Posts: 778 Member Member Posts: 778 Member
    Yes, please change the positioning! It's really upsetting when someone (even accidentally) disagrees with your post, especially if you've poured out your heart, or posted a weight loss!
  • Gisel2015Gisel2015 Member Posts: 3,987 Member Member Posts: 3,987 Member
    That must be in the app, because we have no heart in the web version. Besides, people can go back and recheck their ratings and if they made a mistake, go fix it. IMOP, when people clicks "disagree," they really mean it.
  • PatriceFitnessPalPatriceFitnessPal Member Posts: 422 Member Member Posts: 422 Member
    @KickassAmazon76 - I don’t mind when people disagree. It’s the accidental selection of “disagree” that I’m hoping to eliminate. I appreciate your thoughts on the subject and whatever the community - and ultimately the staff decides - is fine with me.
  • GummiMundiGummiMundi Member Posts: 396 Member Member Posts: 396 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    That must be in the app, because we have no heart in the web version. Besides, people can go back and recheck their ratings and if they made a mistake, go fix it. IMOP, when people clicks "disagree," they really mean it.

Sure we do... the symbol for "Hug" is a heart. :)
    (At least on my browser.)

• PAV8888PAV8888 Member Posts: 8,955 Member Member Posts: 8,955 Member
    If anything, they should make the disagrees non-anonymous. THAT would likely change the game big time. lol

:naughty:
  • MargaretYakodaMargaretYakoda Member, Premium Posts: 1,819 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1,819 Member
    I’d be fine with removing the disagree react.

Then your choices would be
    1) Any other reaction
    2) Disagree politely with words
    3) Scroll on by
  • MargaretYakodaMargaretYakoda Member, Premium Posts: 1,819 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1,819 Member
    socajam wrote: »
    I’d be fine with removing the disagree react.

Then your choices would be
    1) Any other reaction
    2) Disagree politely with words
    3) Scroll on by

I don't see anything wrong with disagreeing - are entering the stage now where to disagree is going to be the same as cancel culture?

I have no problems with someone disagreeing with me - in fact I would love if they were to give a reason also for their disagreement.

It seems we agree here.
  • PAV8888PAV8888 Member Posts: 8,955 Member Member Posts: 8,955 Member
    I disagree that disagree is bad; an explanation would often be somewhat useful especially in the one to three disagree range.

Though, TBH, once the disagree button is hitting 10+, maybe it's best not to be discussing things too much!

However I am cool with "named" disagrees. For that matter with named ALL reactions, as they are on other discussion boards. To protect my past malicious disagrees I might prefer for them not to be retroactive; but, I'll take the heat if I have to! :wink:
    edited August 29
  • PatriceFitnessPalPatriceFitnessPal Member Posts: 422 Member Member Posts: 422 Member
    @PAV8888 - Just to reiterate, disagreeing is fine with me, as the original ‘request’ poster. I’m not trying to silence open dialogue. In fact, I think it can be healthy and productive. It’s accidentally conveying disagreement, when we just intended to scroll down the page, that I’m hoping to correct.
    @KickassAmazon76 - I don’t mind when people disagree. It’s the accidental selection of “disagree” that I’m hoping to eliminate. I appreciate your thoughts on the subject and whatever the community - and ultimately the staff - decides is fine with me.

Assigning a name to a selection is also a fine solution for me. It would give someone a chance to check the intent of the emoji selection. So, that seems to be another solution. Thanks for adding your feedback!
    edited August 29
  • annk18annk18 Member Posts: 82 Member Member Posts: 82 Member
    yes changing the order would be helpful. I've hit the disagree button many times by accident. I'm sure there have been times that I don't notice it and it can be very upsetting to some people.
  • TerriRichardson112TerriRichardson112 Member Posts: 12,625 Member Member Posts: 12,625 Member
    Disagree, per se, is fine. Open and honest discussion of opinions is to be applauded.
    However, currently,
    • the anonymous nature of the selection of the disagree button precludes any open discussion, and has led to the orchestrated trolling of individuals.
    • the placement of the button on the app on phones means that it is all too easy to accidentally disagree with someone. I know this from experience. If I notice it, I change it.
    • Not everyone has time to check on every reaction they have made to posts, or is even aware that they can do so.

Personally, I welcome discussion, and an anonymous disagree button doesn't produce that. Therefore, I don't use it.
    Currently, I treat all disagrees on my posts as accidental, and ignore them.
    edited September 17
  • SueM123456SueM123456 Member Posts: 11 Member Member Posts: 11 Member
    Yes, please change the order. An accidental 'hug' is far better than and accidental 'disagree' in my world.
  • RubyRed427RubyRed427 Member Posts: 3,456 Member Member Posts: 3,456 Member
    Yes please change the order.
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Member Posts: 25,136 Member Member Posts: 25,136 Member
    Another vote to change the order.

@4legsRbetterthan2: have you kicked this up the food chain?
  • 4legsRbetterthan24legsRbetterthan2 Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter Posts: 19,440 MFP Moderator Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter Posts: 19,440 MFP Moderator
    It's been talked about, I have no idea how hard of a change it is to make or a timeline
  • pessxxpessxx Member Posts: 985 Member Member Posts: 985 Member
    In my opinion, with the risk of taking another disagree, this button disagree is really so bad used
    If you give a like you know someone liked what you have said, but when pressing disagree u feel the need to know what was the issue in order either to correct or to explain or to argument
    Because a person is communication ,not just buttons, if we will all speak just in buttons and emojis, especially when they express a different opinion or disagreement, is really not human nature

And I have also seen it so bad used in unexpected situations - like recipes , like friends adding , in a country that is freely speaking , is really strange that people instead of saying an opinion which is opposite ,prefer to push buttons, , which leaves the one who wrote in the majority of cases confused and also he/she does not know what's the issue
    Tell me you need to take care of other people feelings when we are saying something bad and i will tell you there are many ways to protect this when you have a dialogue , instead of a disagree button

And regarding the order mentioned , change the order , I agree
    @4legsRbetterthan2 - Thank you for the update. I understand the ‘technical’ team of programmers may put the suggestion in a queue or on a list until there are enough ‘fixes’ needed to warrant an overhaul project - and possibly a shutdown period - to do the maintenance and make the upgrades.

So, I just appreciate the community members and MFP team suggesting and discussing the various options; so, the staff can weigh the pros/cons together to make the best decision. In the meantime, your message was helpful. At least we know it’s on the radar and being discussed. Thanks again for the work you do provide a space for people to learn together, share ideas, and support one another to improve their nutrition, fitness and overall well-being!!
    edited September 23