Alcohol

13»

Replies

• izzywright60
    izzywright60 Posts: 1 Member
    My goal is to give up alcohol for a year and lose 50lb. I do drink far too much and wanted to see how 12 months off would make me feel. Also, when I do drink it's never just one glass and it always involves pigging out on snacks. I don't think I can continue drinking and lose weight, so it has to go.

Have you seen this?

https://www.oneyearnobeer.com/takethechallenge/
  • SomeMFPuser
    SomeMFPuser Posts: 53 Member
    Give it up totally? No. Cut back and be mindful of how much and when? Absolutely..

This has to do more with age than calories though for me.

If you are cutting alcohol for weight loss, just be sure you consider the impact once you bring it back in once you've hit your goal weight.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    I have periods of cutting alcohol and I agree with the OP it is a game changer.
    I don't drink midweek unless it's a social occasion - but weekends usually involve wine and overindulgence food wise because of it.
    I do log the calories and keep my calories fairly lowish midweek to compensate - but my weight loss is very slow because of it.
    It's taken me around 14 months to lose 43 lbs with many ups and downs.
    Cutting out alcohol would make my weight loss steadier and faster - but I'm not sure it's sustainable for maintenance.

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    When I did my diet, I went for 1,200 calories a day for a couple of months. The only way I could get that to work was cutting out drink. When I moved onto more sensible calorie amounts (maintenance is around 2,400), I found I didn't really miss it, so now I only drink on special occasions. These are quite rare - there have been 4 in the last 3 years (two weddings, a 50th birthday and a 30th birthday.)
  • socaldogmom
    socaldogmom Posts: 96 Member
    This thread is inspiring. One week eating tons of veggies, fruit, protein (mostly lean), healthy carbs and drinking lots of water. I feel sooo good this week. I usually would have alcohol every evening and lots of carbs all day which is how I gained the weight. The next morning I would need lots of coffee to wake up after the effects of one or two drinks (usually wine) from the night before. I didn't realize how much the "bad" food and alcohol was impacting the way I felt. Feeling amazing and determined to stay on track.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 11,939 Member
    This discussion is quite old. But if anyone is interested. In November of 2021, I became very ill from alcohol and ended up in the ICU. I woke up vomiting blood (esophageal varices). I was in the hospital for five days. I had been drinking heavily and the withdrawals were bad (although I don't remember a lot). I was hallucinating though.
    Anyways, when I was discharged, I didn't drink for four months. That was because the experience was quite scary. I lost 30 lbs in three months without even trying.
    I had been drinking whiskey mixed with club soda. I don't think the calories were the problem. But my problem is when I would drink, I would get the munchies and make bad food choices. I would eat everything in sight.
    I track my weight on MFP and mark on my calendar the days I don't drink. For me, there is a direct correlation with alcohol and weight loss/gain. When I'm not drinking, my weight steadily goes down and back up when I'm drinking.

HI Darlene, I drank Fireball the calories no doubt helped along as you ,, the MUNCHIES and I didn't feel well enough to cook, JUNK FOOD! MEGA Junk food. Seems to go hand in hand. As you saw on my post about the 2024 Spring 5% Challenge and my success at losing 110 lbs, I've lost an entire person!

WELCOME the 2024 Spring 5% Challenge. I look forward to getting to know you more. You can do this! WITH SUPPORT!! If you do not belong to AA it's a suggestion. They do have online meetings which is nice if being in person is to much. I no longer go and did not like them, but I did enjoy NA. I was younger at that time and related better to NA.
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Darlene_Oregon Posts: 114 Member
    @Dianedoessmiles1 I'm kind of new to this all. So I tried to delete some of my posts. Not sure if it worked or not. I hope not. I've having some problems right now and I was getting depressed that no one was replying to my posts. So thank you so much for replying.
    I know I shouldn't be relying on MFP. But I don't really have family or friends where I live (except for my husband and a few acquittances). I tried AA many years ago but didn't care for it. And I live in a really small town, so I'd rather not get involved with that.
    What you said about not feeling well enough to cook is where I'm at right now. I had two frozen burritos tonight for dinner.
    When I'm not drinking, I will have salmon or chicken with some roasted Brussels sprouts, cauliflower or sauteed spinach and things like that. And I never ate after dinner.
    I'm not sure how the challenge works or how to talk to others in the challenge. How do I see your posts? I've never been into social media. So I'm not as savvy as most.
    Anyways, I hope I didn't mess things up too much. I do plan on conquering the beast (alcohol) soon!
    Darlene
  • Darlene_Oregon
    @Dianedoessmiles1 I don't think we're supposed to leave comments in the "Introduce Yourself" discussion. But I looked at your profile. Amazing weight loss! Also I realize you have some medical issues. But you seem pretty resilient. Good luck to you! By the way, we live on complete opposite ends of the country.
    Take care of yourself!
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 11,939 Member
    @Darlene_Oregon LOL At that we do!! I am outside of Portland, we think dearly of you all out there holding up "the other end". On the chat we can post what we wish, but you are correct not under the Introduce yourself to the team.
  • Darlene_Oregon
    @Dianedoessmiles1 LOL I will keep holding up the other end. I'm not sure where the chat is. But I'm sure I'll figure it out. Boy, this stuff can be complicated!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!