September 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,957 Member
    Options
    Great race time @rheddmobile ! Especially for a virtual one. Great improvement on your 5K time in just two weeks.

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options

This week I tried another new gel, Maurten. Hard no on these in the future. I don't know if they come in flavors but my fleet feet only had the unflavored. The consistency is like too-thick jello. Not runny enough to just swallow but not really thick enough to chew. So you just end up breaking it up some with your teeth and chasing it with water. Also, it had 100mg of caffeine, which is a lot more than other gels/chews I have used. When I am only taking 1 it's ok. But if I were needing 2 for a race I would have to use 2 different things so I don't overdo the caffeine and make my stomach upset. And because it is unflavored, all you taste is the bitterness from the caffeine.

Good job on your long run. I've never heard of these gels but I can't say that I want to try them! Sound gross!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »

This week I tried another new gel, Maurten. Hard no on these in the future. I don't know if they come in flavors but my fleet feet only had the unflavored. The consistency is like too-thick jello. Not runny enough to just swallow but not really thick enough to chew. So you just end up breaking it up some with your teeth and chasing it with water. Also, it had 100mg of caffeine, which is a lot more than other gels/chews I have used. When I am only taking 1 it's ok. But if I were needing 2 for a race I would have to use 2 different things so I don't overdo the caffeine and make my stomach upset. And because it is unflavored, all you taste is the bitterness from the caffeine.

Good job on your long run. I've never heard of these gels but I can't say that I want to try them! Sound gross!

These were recommended to me by someone who has a hard time taking in a lot of water at once with their gels. I have definitely had that sloshy stomach feeling and it sucks. Apparently this formulation doesn't require you to drink water with the gel itself to have it absorb appropriately so it is a good option for people that don't drink a lot at once. I am not hard core enough for these gels.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,434 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 great race report. Nice of you to wait until just the end to pass Larry :D
    @rheddmobile great race your you too! That is a huge improvement on your 5K time!!
  • Legs_McGee23
    Legs_McGee23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    4.31 miles - Sunday run

9/27- 49.81/60 completed
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    swenson19d wrote: »
    Tramboman wrote: »
    swenson19d wrote: »
    Tramboman wrote: »

PUT THE FUN BACK IN THE RUN!
    Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs (second attempt)

I took the time to take measurements today. I know the scale is up, my clothes dont fit but whew that tape measure was brutal. My weight tracking app predicts that I'll lose 11 pounds by April 2033. ereeerrrr, really regretting the ben and Jerrys last night now. I gotta find some motivation. I'm sore from kickboxing so the ice cream seemed to be a reasonable choice to aide muscle recovery. I gotta pull my head out and get it back into reality. haha!

keep up the good work!

Putting the fun back in the run has been a challenge lately, due to niggles and injuries.
    I have made it to 180 twice this year; I was unable to continue making progress. Something I've learned over the past couple of years is that I can lose weight or fuel runs: it seems like I can't do both simultaneously.
    Don't get down on yourself -- I myself never met an ice cream I didn't like. And you're right... it's the perfect recovery food.
    We're on a journey -- the destination is less important than the journey itself.

Thanks for the pep talk. @WhatMeRunning is has offered to be my emotional support human (of sorts)👊. I agree, when I was running and trying to trim down I never saw improvement in both weight and fueling my runs, definitely one or the other. Of course looking back, I was probably being unrealistic targeting an ideal running weight below 120. With age, it is healthier to have a higher BMI. Of course, not in the unhealthy range. But there is something to preserving health with a few extra pints of ice cream, er pounds.

“Niggles” is my middle name. 😄

Kickboxing tomorrow.

Kick *kitten*!!!!