A Seinfeld September...

Replies

• Rosemarie2972
    Rosemarie2972 Posts: 478 Member
    Glad your enjoying the chorus Julie. I tried calling some places today to see about taking 2 or 3 Boxes of shredding. One place wanted $140.00 dollars! I hope the BBB runs a shred day sometime in the next year. Or if a charity would run a shred day, I would give a donation. A couple of places want you to put all the paper in a bin with just a mail box opening and I don't have the patience for this!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,338 Member
    @Rosemarie2972 When I did my big shredding project, I'd just shred for 15 minutes a day. It took a while, but it got done and wasn't very hard. You could watch TV or listen to an audio book - That's what I did. $140 YIKES! The baby shredder we bought only cost about $40.
  • BodyTalking
    BodyTalking Posts: 2,671 Member
    77tes wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017 @TerriRichardson112 and the others of you you are artists, do you have any recommendations for online digital art classes? My granddaughter, who is artistic, has a birthday coming up and she’d like to learn more about doing digital art.

Thanks

That's a lovely gift idea.
    I don't have a recommendation but can suggest that you avoid Shaw Academy. I signed up for their first month free offer then learned that people were being charged for things they didn't want. They had a single click payment button without asking for confirmation and they called many times (with another easily missed agreement to pay), people having difficulty getting refunds, etc. So, when looking for online courses, check their reviews, search for disgruntled customers on social media groups and use an electronic disposable credit card so that they can't add further payments to it.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,651 Member
    @77tes I’m a big fan of craftsy for classes in lots of creative areas. Drawing and painting is on the list but I’ve only done the quilting and crocheting classes so I don’t know what the others are like. Right now there’s an offer for new members for $3 for the first year. It’s regularly $80 but even at that price it’s worth it to me. You can get an overview classes but not access all of the info if you want to check it out. I’ll attach the screenshot I took.
    ad6bpzdccr3p.png
  • 77tes
    @BodyTalking and @nebslp thanks for the suggestion and warning. I immediately thought of Craftsy. But I wasn’t sure if their art classes are as good as their sewing classes.

Google brought up Udemy and I have a vague recollection of someone thinking their classes were great, but I’m not sure if it was a friend’s recommendation or a “sponsored” one. I’m nervous about giving her something that is a scam.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,152 Member
    @MadisonMolly2017 @TerriRichardson112 and the others of you you are artists, do you have any recommendations for online digital art classes? My granddaughter, who is artistic, has a birthday coming up and she’d like to learn more about doing digital art.

Thanks

Hi @77tes!
    How old will your granddaughter be? What media does she currently enjoy?

I would recommend https://www.carlasonheim.com/
    A variety of courses that are fun & whimsical & she’s taught kids
  • MadisonMolly2017

Thanks

Hi @77tes!
    How old will your granddaughter be? What media does she currently enjoy?

I would recommend https://www.carlasonheim.com/
    A variety of courses that are fun & whimsical & she’s taught kids

@77tes
    Sorry for abrupt ending - was at dr’s & they called me LoL

Re-read your post…Are you looking for classes on how to do digital art?

Also Carla’s book The Drawing Lab is excellent

Best,
    Maddie🌸
  • nebslp
    @77tes I’m pretty sure it was Denise who used Udemy awhile back, maybe for writing?? I’ve done calligraphy, inking (?), and photography classes, French pastry making (watched but didn’t execute)😏 with Craftsy, and some classes are better than others. I did the paper airplane class with the grandkids and that was fun. But I have no idea about making digital art so maybe that doesn’t fit at all🤔
  • 77tes
    @MadisonMolly2017 , my granddaughter is going to be 17. She is into Manga, and is creating a whole world of Wonder Heroes. She was taking art classes until shutdown. Since then she has mostly been working in pastels, which she loves. However, her parents recently gave her some software for doing digital art, and she’d like to learn how to do more. I think it was Adobe, but I’m not sure. I’ll check out carlasonheim.com.

@nebslp thanks for remembering that it was @themedalist who liked Udemy. That’s a strong recommendation.
  • 77tes
    Wow! @MadisonMolly2017 Carla Sondheim’s site is really great! I want to take some of those classes.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    @77tes
    I will message a couple of my students who have had a similar path- and are now studying this in collage…
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Wow! @MadisonMolly2017 Carla Sondheim’s site is really great! I want to take some of those classes.

@77tes
    YES! I love that she teaches “true art” skills & you (the participant) just have fun!!!!
  • 77tes
    @77tes
    I will message a couple of my students who have had a similar path- and are now studying this in collage…

Thanks so much!
  • everydaywechoose
    everydaywechoose Posts: 270 Member
    edited September 2021
    Hi everyone. Could someone explain how I can make comments back to people who comment on my posts?
    Thank you 77tes, and Rosemarie2972 for your encouragement. I've been living in either Nicaragua or Mexico since 2016, so obviously I'm immersed in Spanish. I started with Duo lingo back in 2016 when I decided to quit work and retire early, and slow down my life. However, I was not dedicated for any length of time. About a year ago I started taking Spanish with Paul. His approach has been more successful with my learning the language, but I still go months at a time without practicing. So, this approach does not give me consistent improvement. Since I joined this challenge on Sept. 16 I've enjoyed sitting down to my lessons. I've met my goal every day of 1 hour or more of spanish, but I haven't been journalling to record it. I'm also making more of an effort to speak spanish to locals, instead of hoping they speak some english.
    On another note, super excited we're getting our temporary (4yr residency within1 week)...and we just broke ground on our lot. We're building a home here, Bucerias, Mexico.
  • nebslp
    @everydaywechoose It sounds like you are having a wonderful adventure!
    One part of tiny habits that I find the hardest is finding an immediate reward for having done my habit. Congrats on working on your learning every day since you started. If you are also wanting to journal about it or just write a note about what you studied or for how long, could you have a calendar or notebook handy to record it as an immediate reward for studying? That way you'd be accomplishing two things at one time without really noticing that the second habit (journaling) is forming, and you'd have a visual reminder of how far you've come with your commitment to your habit. Just an idea. Good luck with the Spanish and your new home!
  • nebslp
    @77tes It’s so much fun to give a present that is truly appreciated. Technology has made that so much easier. I’m glad you were able to find the perfect gift.
  • everydaywechoose
    everydaywechoose Posts: 270 Member
    @nebslp
    Thank you so much for the immediate reward idea. It's so true. I'll implement this today!

• nebslp
    Hi everyone. Could someone explain how I can make comments back to people who comment on my posts?

@everydaywechoose I just noticed this comment and realized I hadn't answered it so here goes...
    type in the @ symbol followed by the person's name. Sometimes you don't have to type the whole name but a box will show up with some choices. Click on the right one and you're all set. Hope that helps.