WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2021

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,138 Member
    edited October 2021
    Does anyone know where I can buy a specially made key chain- I want this on it:
    4spbmkckfwhn.jpg

(not the T)

I found a person on Etsy to do signature on key chains so ordered one for mom with dad's signature.
    This lady just does signatures.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,443 Member
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    4spbmkckfwhn.jpg

(not the T)

I found a person on Etsy to do signature on key chains so ordered one for mom with dad's signature.

Have you looked up: 'custom keychain' in Google?

Place like these:

https://www.customkeychain.ca/ca/

https://www.zazzle.com/california+keychains

https://www.forevergifts.com/key-chains/

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,138 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    4spbmkckfwhn.jpg

(not the T)

Have you looked up: 'custom keychain' in Google?

Place like these:

https://www.customkeychain.ca/ca/

https://www.zazzle.com/california+keychains

https://www.forevergifts.com/key-chains/

thanks for the links- I will check them all out!!!!
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,913 Member
    Debbie - if you have a local fb group you could look for someone local too. A lot of people are using cutting machines for small side businesses

I am in incredible pain tonight. I have a physio appointment again in the morning.

Lisa - my daughter had two slipped discs for two years. They kept offering all of the pain meds that can become very addictive. It petrified her to try them. She ended up using the stuff that is legal in Canada and it helped her for the two years and after surgery. I know quite a few people that claim it helps.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »
    DO YOU EVER WORK ON COMPUTER DURING WORK OUT ?

DO YOU EVER DO WORK OUT AT VERY SLOW HEART RATE ?

No and No.

Even walking I like to get my heart rate up a bit. On my own I walk very briskly. With my husband I walk slower but we still move along at slightly over 4 km/h.

When running or cycling my HR is fairly high.

My reasons for working out include getting away from my computer and looking at something different. Especially if what I am looking at includes nature.

M in Oz

Further on exercise ...

I love exercising. :) I feel cranky and annoyed, and often more tired, when I don't exercise in a day.

These days, my exercise pattern is more or less like this:

Monday to Thursday or Friday:
    - walk as part of my commute. I used to do a very brisk walk/jog to and from the bus but I walk with my husband now. He drops me off at the bus, and picks me up again at the end of the day. That gives him about 1-1.2 km of walking a day.
    - climb a whole bunch of stairs in my building. Usually between 20 and 30 flights of 20 stairs each day.
    - walk briskly at lunch.
    - exercise in the evening after work for an hour or so: something in our home gym (rowing, running, cycling), a walk/run outside, or cycling outside. Occasionally we've gone canoeing and might start that up again sometimes soon. I'm also tempted to see how my husband goes swimming once in a while. I've spotted a pool we might be able to use.

Weekend:
    - usually cycling or running and longer distances than during the week. This might be inside our home gym or outside.

If I'm not feeling particularly energetic in an evening, and if I've done some decent walking and stair climbing, I might rest in the evening or I might do something like Pilates and Weights. My HR doesn't get up much with those ... maybe only 100-110. But that's OK, the body does need a rest sometimes.

I will usually focus on something ... and upcoming event or something. In September, I had a 10K run I wanted to do, so my focus was more on running. In October, I wanted to focus more on cycling to rest from the running (I had started getting shin splints). Next month, I'd like to start easing back into running while still focusing on cycling.

Why I exercise:
    - mental health
    - physical health
    - an escape ... getting away from my computer, the constant barrage of emails, my long list of things to do
    - because I love being outdoors, and most of my exercise is outdoors
    - the adventure
    - the challenge
    - the endorphins (when I get them - I've never experienced endorphins very often, even when I was cycling huge distances)
    - it is something I can control, somewhat
    - I've been exercising pretty regularly since I could crawl
    - it is something my husband and I can do together
    - and yet, it can also give me "me time"
    - it makes me feel better
    - I sleep better when I exercise
    - it reduces stress - especially when I exercise hard
    - it gives me a feeling of accomplishment
    - I enjoy it!

And probably more. :)

It's one of the reasons I like DST. DST means I can exercise more outside in the evenings. :)

M in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,987 Member
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Barbie – I miss my dog like crazy and it is hard to wait to get a new pup, but we have other obligations for this fall. We’ll be spending time in Virginia with our son’s family. We are looking forward to spending time with our grandson, and also for the birth of a new baby. When we get home after our trip we’ll start looking for a puppy. :heart: It is likely that puppies will be born next spring and that seems like a very long time to wait.

Beth – I am sorry that your joints are hurting in soggy weather. :ohwell:

Machka – I would prefer year around daylight time, but it isn’t to be. My calendar tells me that we’ll be shifting to standard time on November 7. :grumble:

Katla
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Tracey im sorry about the pain hugs. Machka thanks fir your answer about excercise
  • bananasandoranges
    exermom wrote: »
    Mary – oh wow!!! Thanks for sharing

that is an unusual breakfast! my sis once offered me cooked veggies for breakfast, not so easy for me! in a Vietnamese meditation place some or many of the Vietnamese ladies ate rice and veggies for breakfast too. sometimes I can eat that savoury stuff for breakfast! especially the later the breakfast is.

I am not a normal breakfast food eater most of the time. I prefer things like left over chicken pot pie(one of my favorite left overs).
    If I do eat breakfast food, my favorites are biscuits and gravy(but only home made, the way mom taught me to make it) and hash browns-potatoes cooked any way for me!! Oatmeal or Cream of Wheat are about the only cereal I like and will eat that any time of the day or night.
    I actually don't eat anything at breakfast time most days- I have my tea, and more tea then eat something about noon.
    I can't eat sweets first thing in the morning- a doughnut looks soo good, tastes good for a few bites then terrible stomach ache soon after. I can have sweets later in the day but not on an empty stomach.

Debbie

Thznksn i dislike very sweet for breakfast too. I tend to eat high protein cereal never any sugar soy yogurt often w fruit added. Occasionallu 1 t maple syrup. Sometmies add hair of coconut orange Cardonon some seeds or 1 t tahibi....to shake it up.

BARBARA thanks fir encouragements
  • bananasandoranges
    Katlia thanks for answer on exercisen

Im writing and reading on cellphone harder fir me so skimming at being brief

On stationary bike screen time or podcasr OUI
    Reading or writing not so much

Someties i get distracted and pedal slowly.

I used to have very low hr from lots of exercise in my early years. Maybe that has stuck a bit.

Yesterday BAD eating day.

Today;
    Done: dentist, walk, café,2 writing sent annex admin stuff, unavoidabke)
    Remaining

1 jr cleaning, food shop, travk food and 4 -5 h writing

Bonne journée
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,581 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: take BP, wetlands/beach walk with Joe and the dogs.
    Bonus: recycling, Post Office, Freddie’s
    Just one thing: picked and delivered chanterelles to B, Joe's rx info from Logan @ Dr. S.
    Get to do: take BP, T’ai Chi, dogs to powerline, make up 30 mins Tuesday linedancing (practice WBW, DM, SWTD, SL, GDLL, SWSY,) dog group, backup files, then call pc guy to schedule tuneup, fire district: research district tax exemption for volunteer firefighters, AFG grant requirements including NIMS, call NFPA cancel inactive accounts, clarify benefits included in annual dues, input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS, index mutual aid files and share with L; start Part D research with new rx info, watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Tequila Little Time, Homesick, Nothing but You, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart, Do Your Thing, practice dances: All Night, TGIF, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Te about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Sunday: call S, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    Reminder: Weekly: Mon=15 mins SWSY. Tues=30 mins line dance at home. Wed=30 mins T’ai Chi & 1 hr pack walk. Thurs=15 mins BB&B. Fri=30 mins T’ai Chi. Sat=1 hr pack walk. Sun=15 mins pilates, yoga or wii balance games.
    October
    26: Find a new perspective on a problem you face: attitude of gratitude for the body as it is today.
    27: Be kind to yourself today. Remember, progress takes time: and celebrate different kinds of progress, stamina, ease in rising from chairs.

This morning as I fed the dogs, was musing on how effective morning routine/linked habits
    take ALA, feed dogs, make tea, weigh in, morning readings and meditation, blood pressure, exercise before solitaire
    have been, when…
    Joe invited me to go to the beach with him and the dogs. YES! An opportunity not to be missed. Misty walk through the wetlands and along an angry sea. Tide was out but not very far so we didn’t linger. Then scampered across border to the liquor store, stopped at farm supply store for special dog cookies, chatting all the way home. Great way to start the day.
    Went through the routine after breakfast.

Heather whatever is a “99”? That card game sounds awful.
    Rebecca the first marriage photo album story made me laugh out loud!
    Vicki ((hugs)) selling the motorcycles is a hard reminder of life changes.
    Gentle ((hugs)) softly held extra long to Lisa, Beth and Tracey.
    Michele “…I have a hard time watching the baking shows because then I get cravings for baked goods” amen, sister, AMEN!
    Machka thanks for the alternative arthritis remedies links.
    Katla I’m dreading the longer nights, shorter days and time change. Think I’ll splurge on some of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0819PCKSL/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Looks like we have some black trumpet chanterelles in the front yard. Will ask the folds at Black Trumpet Bistro if they'd be willing to barter...

Time to go back to sleep….

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: leaner/stronger/kinder than September.
    daily: sit with Joe:26, weigh/wii: 26/4/65; steps>7228=7393 vits=26, log=26, CI<CO=25, CI<250<CO=19, Tumble=25, Shadow=22, mfp=26, outside=28, up hill=24, clean 10=18.
    wkly: Sun:P, Y or W=4, Mon:SWSY=4 , Tue:LD=3 , Wed:TC=2.87 , PW=2, Thurs: BB&B=3.2, Fri:TC=3.97, Sat:PW=3, rX x5=4.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/31:140.2 8/31:140.0 9/30:141.2 10/3:141.3 10/10:141.8 10/17:141.8 10/24:143.5 :sick: 10/31:
    mnthly: board mtg=1 , grant=2, plan=, waist=42.
    bonus: AF=15, play=46 sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • bananasandoranges
    BARBARA beach sounds great!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,990 Member
    Good Morning ladies
    Not much to say..
  • Machka9
    edited October 2021
    Beautiful evening for a bicycle ride. :)

28ooykob4ec7.png

My resting HR has usually been low. For years, decades, it was 54. I haven't checked recently but it is likely about 60 now. That's the HR taken in bed, before getting up, but a few minutes after waking up.

But my max HR is high. It has always been high.

I tend to train with zones in mind.

Let's say my max HR is 185. That would be a reasonable estimate given that I can still hit 180 (that is down a bit from my peak but age does that to you).

Referencing the chart below ...

61% or less would be 113 or less. That would be a very casual walk or bicycle ride for me. A recovery ride. It will burn some calories and may have some benefits but the main benefit would be to recover from a harder effort.

75% or less would be 139 down to 113. That is, as the chart indicates, an endurance pace. That is ideally where I would want to be on long distances and where it used to be. These days, however, it tends to be a bit higher.

85% or less would be 157 down to 139. These days, that is where my longer rides are. For endurance, I would prefer my heart rate be about 135, but this level is a good workout. I like to get my HR into this range for my workouts.
    When it comes to running, I wish my HR would be in this level more consistently ... thankfully I am starting to see numbers about 155.

95% is 176. This zone is between 176 and 157. For cycling, the only time I get up this high is when I'm powering over a hill. It's not comfortable - it is quite a bit of effort. For running, my HR sat about 165 during my runs for a long time, but recently it has started to drop. This means I can pick up my pace on a run!

It is not really recommended to go over 95% or at least not for more than a few minutes.

2zzculpizzyq.png
    https://endurancebikeandrun.com/blog/2020/4/29/how-to-use-heartrate-to-train-for-endurance-cyling

There are other zone charts which are similar to this but which might be aimed at a different sport like running.

Like this one perhaps ...

According to it, most of my runs are still in the Hard Zone. That's OK for a hard workout or short event, but I would really like to improve my fitness so my HR is in the Moderate level for most runs.

ygtzp4bgo6jp.png

M in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,701 Member
    Happy Wednesday,
    The sun is just starting to lighten the sky above the trees. One bright star was hanging out. Pretty view from hot tub.
    Exercise day 3! I know that for most of you ladies,this isn't exciting, but it is the longest stretch for me in many years! Mixing Barre and Yoga. Painful hips and shoulder so hoping this helps. Time....that is my challenge. Choosing to make me a priority for 30 mins a day. These moves are hard and older me is disappointed as the younger me would have been all over this. Younger me was a stay at home mom in the Philippines. I walked miles a day and took 2.5 hours of exercise classes three days a week. We went dancing at least 2 times a week. Older me is exhausted when get home from work with a to do list that is overwhelming. I am on my feet all day. SO...I am working on a routine.
    Routines I always feel like my days spin out of control. I have never been a routine person so this is new. I start the morning with readings and prayer, move to exercise, hot tub, get ready for work, try to cross something off to do list. Evenings less structured as I never know what they will bring. This is all new to me. I am trying. Strange to say at almost 60 that I don't have a routine. My DH has always had a routine (OCD I am sure) and he gets really grumpy when it gets interrupted. Cas says that schedules help. Others have said routines help. Jury is still out, but I am trying.
    Eating Still sucks! I can only concentrate on so much at a time. In today's world with modern conveniences, eating at home should be easy. Meal planning I guess will be the next new thing on my agenda. Younger me did this well as we had no money and there were 4 mouths to feed 3 times a day. Family day care years I had to plan meals to meet state requirements. Got divorced, worked two full time jobs, ate whatever. Met current DH. His meal of choice is a burger and fries. Canned green beans and corn were his only vegetable choices. He currently will eat broccoli (finally) and will eat spinach raw cut up in a salad. I will get there especially since winter is coming and I really dislike the cold and dark immensely. I prefer more veggies, less meat. He doesn't cook. Plan, purchase, execute. :p Usually I go shopping, then end up throwing stuffs away as we will then be eating out more than normal. Okay, I can't stress on this right now. Need to continue establishing healthy habits a couple at a time. Prayer and exercise!
    Gotta get ready for the work day!

Love you all!
    Kylia in Ohio trying to be the best ME for Me.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,701 Member
    Machka Heartrate zones....At 165 my shoulder and neck start hurting. That is my upper limit. I tend to stay in that fat burning zone most of day being on my feet and walking. Resting seems to be around 68. I am trying to work on those numbers as well.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,595 Member
    edited October 2021
    Went to dentist with DH this morning, as we both had fillings to be repaired. Quick job.
    The double vaxxed young dentist had had covid in August. DH and I have been so lucky to avoid it, especially as we see the grandchildren. They are tested often, but still ....... it's rife in schools.

Bought bread, pasta, cheese, etc for the lunch when the grandchildren come over on Friday. I'm planning spaghetti, bacon, grated cheese and cold sausages, as they all like those things. Bea might not have bacon. She likes Marmite and cheese on her pasta. :p I bought fresh mango pieces for dessert. In the afternoon they will have the last three 99s for a snack. My son and DDIL have invited us to join them all for dinner at Fatto a Mano, so that will be superb pizza. I always have the same choice - a white pizza, with fennel sausage and broccoli.

Forced myself to do my exercises after the dentist. :# Will walk to the fish market with DH and top up with rowing for my bonus burn.

Barbara - A 99 is a cornet ice cream with a chocolate flake inserted. :D

6nd3u1ti0g48.jpg

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,225 Member
    Seems like my phone is really really running out of storage space this time. It's been limping along for a year now. Time to put the work into getting a new one. The technology choices are scary, but the reality is that anything new would be better.

Annie in Delaware
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Happy Wednesday! :)

Carol in GA