~ Sobriety Matters ~

BeIn2day
BeIn2day Posts: 1,605 Member
We already have a number of sobriety threads, I have participated in a few of them over the years while on my fitness pal. I wanted to start my own !

This thread is for sobriety from all & any substances. Whatever you have decided you no longer want to have in your life, whatever no longer serves you. Alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, sugar, drugs.

Let's motivate & support each other. Let's recover together ❤

I think it's not uncommon that relapse of old habits & blips happen. Keeping the thread friendly & non judgmental is where its at ⭐

I am currently on day 14 alcohol free, day 14 caffeine free & day 10 smoke free. So that's my goals ~ no alcohol, coffee or nicotine. (I plan to tackle the sugar, later !)

Replies

• BeIn2day
    @SunnyDays930 that long walk sounds lovely 🌲❄ enjoy!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 3,752 Member
    BeIn2day wrote: »
    p6w5ezd0x2zv.jpg

The way I have set about doing this ^^ and without doubt what has helped me the most up until this point, is educating myself on my nemesis alcohol, nicotine & caffeine. I have read a number of books that I have enjoyed that were packed with useful information. Know your enemy 😁

* Nicotine makes me full of anxiety. Even just 1 or 2 cigarettes. I feel the difference in my anxiety levels. I feel on edge. I read a book by William Porter called Nicotine Explained. Trust me, after reading that book I wanted no more nicotine in my body. I always used to regard nicotine as fairly harmless. Maybe even some benefits?

* Alcohol also makes me full of anxiety. But I don't have this effect until the next day. And the day after that. And the day after that. Basically a 3 day hangover filled with hangxiety. Not fun. Not good for my mental health, personal life, work life, self esteem, health, waist line, bank balance and I always end up using nicotine if I drink. (And its NEVER just 1 drink. That's why I'm quitting). I have read several books on alcohol. Quit like a woman by Holly Whitaker ~ The illustrated easy way to stop drinking by Allen Carr ~ Alcohol lied to me by Craig Beck ~ A happier hour by Rebecca Weller ~ Up all day by Rebecca Weller ~ I also did a online course called Sexy Sobriety by Rebecca Weller which was very helpful. Also 30 day alcohol experiment by Annie Grace.

* Caffeine also makes me full of anxiety and stops me from falling asleep easily. Main reason I am removing caffeine is due to the falling asleep part. I have read differing views about coffee and caffeine but I'm just going with what feels right to me.

Knowledge is helping me to destroy my bad habits 💯 and the knowledge that I am not alone.

Tackling all three is doable! I also think I need to tackle sugar addiction. I also realize some of my salty cravings are really sugar cravings. I think they dump salt and sugar in these tasty snacks.
    I did skip caffeine for a week and had awful headaches. Did you get headaches?
  • BeIn2day
    @RubyRed427 I had gave up coffee a while back. Months ago. But it had crept back in....I have always been a coffee lover. But I think cos it had just crept back, I wasn't drinking nearly as much as I had initially. So maybe I had unintentionally weaned myself off it. Cos I didn't have any headaches this time. I had suffered awful headaches when I first quit coffee cold turkey.

This time round I don't even miss the coffee. It's been the easiest on my list to quit. It's like something just clicked. Even the smell of coffee I don't particularly like now. It's weird. Maybe it's cos I associate it with anxiety & sleepless nights. I sleep so much better now so think I will be sticking with tea.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 3,752 Member
    BeIn2day wrote: »
    @RubyRed427 I had gave up coffee a while back. Months ago. But it had crept back in....I have always been a coffee lover. But I think cos it had just crept back, I wasn't drinking nearly as much as I had initially. So maybe I had unintentionally weaned myself off it. Cos I didn't have any headaches this time. I had suffered awful headaches when I first quit coffee cold turkey.

This time round I don't even miss the coffee. It's been the easiest on my list to quit. It's like something just clicked. Even the smell of coffee I don't particularly like now. It's weird. Maybe it's cos I associate it with anxiety & sleepless nights. I sleep so much better now so think I will be sticking with tea.

I do like tea, too. I need to get back to that. I even like at Starbucks they have a "medicine ball" tea drink you can request if you have a cold for example. I have an electric tea kettle and that makes me happy to use it.

I don't like coffee that much because i put creamer in it; I think creamer probably just sticks to my arteries.

Happy you didn't have headaches! Have a great day!
  • BeIn2day
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    This is my cousin's third week sober; what an amazing thing! <3 I guess it's a lesson for me to never ever give up on me or anyone else.

That is absolutely fantastic news. 3 weeks is great 😊 good for him.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Ooooh I need warm liver water! Thanks for the tip!
  • Bigsur2
    Bigsur2 Posts: 92 Member
    @Bigsur2 Welcome!
    😊😊😊