~ Sobriety Matters ~

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 3,738 Member

Good inspiration!! I agree. Alcohol ruins our looks- especially as we get older. My skin, my flabby belly from wine, my weight gain,... I attribute it all to alcohol. (and menopause)

When I drink wine, I snack and get hungry, and then in the morning, I have to put eye pads on my eyes to make them de-puff, and then feed the hangover with greasy food. Terrible cycle.
  • RubyRed427

I hope you feel better soon. Did you also get chill and fevers from your last booster?
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,177 Member
    I did but I'm feeling better every passing hour. Thanks!
  • BeIn2day
    BeIn2day Posts: 1,603 Member
    My mental health has taken another dip. I have been feeling increasingly stressed at work. I think the idea of becoming a senior practitioner made me feel a lot of pressure.

Work hasn't been easy but I have just kept pushing on. I have reached the point I need to speak to my doctor.

I used alcohol and cigarettes but I should have known that the effects are short lived followed by feeling even worse. One positive is that I have reached out for help. I do hope that I can get my mental health on an even keel this time round.

When things go wrong for me I suffer from anxiety and depression. I am trying to keep in mind that these are treatable but it's just difficult right now.

I must steer clear of substances.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 382 Member
    edited May 22
    Hey, definitely talk to your doctor, and if you are feeling anxious and depressed reach out now to your mental health professional. You said you went off Prozac with their counsel. Perhaps share with them that you are experiencing this stress and anxiety about what you described to us as the chance for a positive work promotion, and that you feel it is leading to your sabotaging your other goals of being alcohol and nicotine free and see what they suggest.
    All change is stressful. Even positive change. I can’t tell from your post what the status is of the possible opportunity you mentioned, but I can absolutely imagine that no matter what it is it can be stressful. But it is positive that you are reaching out to your dr for help.

From what you are saying you might consider exploring using a treatment aid to help you quit. Some people find it easier to quit by using an aid that makes alcohol unappealing/blocks the positive effects/gives negative effects. I have never used it and can’t remember what it is called right now, but I know that it is even required by some treatment centers while people are detoxing and for some while /after they start trying to maintain their sobriety on their own (I am also told it helps with other cravings too). So I would encourage you to be open to any medically recommended resources your doctors would suggest to you once you are honest with them about how much you desire to quit and the challenges you are facing.
    Sending you support from afar. Do call your dr. You don’t need to solve things on your own.
  • BeIn2day
    Thanks @Sinisterbarbie1 ❣️

I am going back onto medication for my mental health and I'm booked in for counselling. All positives.

I'm not a big fan of taking medication and I'm not keen to use anything like that for alcohol. It's a good option for many others though it's just not for me, especially now I will be taking other medication.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Glad to hear you were able to get in to see your dr and get support. Sending strength and positive energy,
  • BeIn2day
    Glad to hear you were able to get in to see your dr and get support. Sending strength and positive energy,

Thank you X
  • SunnyDays930
    @BeIn2day I'm glad you were able to get in with the dr right away. Sending hugs <3
  • BeIn2day
    @BeIn2day I'm glad you were able to get in with the dr right away. Sending hugs <3

Me too !

Thank you 🤗
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    @SunnyDays930 I like the way you think! I think one can also easily justify new clothing spending in part by the amount of money that one saves by not buying wine! Hello designer labels!
  • SunnyDays930
    @SinisterBarbie1 yes! Very true!
  • SunnyDays930
    I've been off the wagon since this horrific school shooting. I am absolutely disgusted with our government that we cannot get anything done. It is pathetic and makes me feel hopeless.

Alcohol doesn't help but it made me forget for a little while.
    Back on track today.
    Hugs <3
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 878 Member
    I've been off the wagon since this horrific school shooting. I am absolutely disgusted with our government that we cannot get anything done. It is pathetic and makes me feel hopeless.

Alcohol doesn't help but it made me forget for a little while.
    Back on track today.
    Hugs <3

Don't forget that the addicted part of your brain actually makes the whole experience worse in an effort to get you to drink. The more drink alcohol in response to stress/distress, the less you will be able to cope with anything negative, because your brain will purposefully lower your ability to handle it, and heighten your sense of being overwhelmed.

The only way to regain your ability to cope with horrible things is to just experience them as brutal and raw as they are until the worst passes. When you drink, you actually make the negative feelings much, much more powerful and controlling.

Back when I drank, I so easily felt overwhelmed by things and felt like I just *had to* escape them, that I had no other option. Now I just feel them, they rarely overwhelm me, and when they do, I just sink into them and they pass.

I've been doing something unbelievably painful and frustrating recently and had several meltdowns where I just sobbed and screamed from frustration, pain, and total, overwhelming exhaustion...and then I felt better, got a good night's sleep, and moved on.

Had I been drinking, I would have felt like there was no way I could handle these negative feelings, drank more than I wanted to, slept horribly, and woken up with that bloody awful shame and dread that always happens the morning after drinking, because that's a key symptom of withdrawal, and I would have a net effect of feeling worse and helpless in coping with my suffering.

Now that I don't drink, bad feelings aren't nearly as crippling and powerful, they're just bad feelings, not the end of the world. They feel awful, but drinking made them feel so much MORE awful and made them last SO MUCH longer. It didn't help me cope with anything, it trained my brain to feel like it *couldn't* cope with anything. That's a horrible, terrifying way to live since life is so frequently terrible.

Drinking will never help you cope with anything, that's a lie that your addicted brain tells you in order to get you to drink.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 878 Member
    The grocery stores here started selling alcohol not too long ago and they have a huge banner ad on the side of the building that just enrages me every time I see it. It says "BREATHE. WINE IS HERE." with wine being poured into a glass.

FML, I feel personally attacked.

This is a brilliant ad. Well paid corporate ad execs used high quality addiction research to trigger intense feelings of helplessness and cravings among their target demographic for wine sales: exhausted women.

This is the legal, state sanctioned targeting of a vulnerable population that is well documented to be struggling with rampant addiction to a serious carcinogen.

Where I live we have liquor stores and beer stores, and I don't mind the beer store ads so much, they have things like a picture of a steak grilling and the tagline "steak, meet beer." As much as I'm against alcohol in general, I don't get enraged by it being marketed as a social, weekend BBQ beverage.

But to have it purposefully marketed as a self-medication tool, specifically to the very population that is experiencing serious crisis levels of addiction and damage??? Especially during the pandemic??? Un-f&*king-cool.

Every time I see that giant sign when entering the grocery store, I know, 100% that my former stress-drinking self would absolutely feel compelled to buy wine as a result. There's no way I would be able to keep any resolve to not buy wine "this time" when walking, exhausted, towards a giant beacon promising stress relief from my very favourite thing.

Every time I see it, my heart hurts for all of the exhausted people who are being predated upon by that effing sign. Can you imagine if it was a sign for cigarettes? A giant cigarette being lit with the words "INHALE. EXHALE. RELAX. CIGARETTES ARE HERE."

I just...I can't. I just can't with this *kitten*.
    *FLIPS TABLE*
  • RubyRed427
    Xellercin wrote: »
    The grocery stores here started selling alcohol not too long ago and they have a huge banner ad on the side of the building that just enrages me every time I see it. It says "BREATHE. WINE IS HERE." with wine being poured into a glass.

FML, I feel personally attacked.

This is a brilliant ad. Well paid corporate ad execs used high quality addiction research to trigger intense feelings of helplessness and cravings among their target demographic for wine sales: exhausted women.

This is the legal, state sanctioned targeting of a vulnerable population that is well documented to be struggling with rampant addiction to a serious carcinogen.

Where I live we have liquor stores and beer stores, and I don't mind the beer store ads so much, they have things like a picture of a steak grilling and the tagline "steak, meet beer." As much as I'm against alcohol in general, I don't get enraged by it being marketed as a social, weekend BBQ beverage.

But to have it purposefully marketed as a self-medication tool, specifically to the very population that is experiencing serious crisis levels of addiction and damage??? Especially during the pandemic??? Un-f&*king-cool.

Every time I see that giant sign when entering the grocery store, I know, 100% that my former stress-drinking self would absolutely feel compelled to buy wine as a result. There's no way I would be able to keep any resolve to not buy wine "this time" when walking, exhausted, towards a giant beacon promising stress relief from my very favourite thing.

Every time I see it, my heart hurts for all of the exhausted people who are being predated upon by that effing sign. Can you imagine if it was a sign for cigarettes? A giant cigarette being lit with the words "INHALE. EXHALE. RELAX. CIGARETTES ARE HERE."

I just...I can't. I just can't with this *kitten*.
    *FLIPS TABLE*

When I was sober for 9 months; It was very difficult to walk through the wine aisle which was just past the veggies; you HAD to walk through the alcohol to get to the deli and the rest of the store. I actually found myself holding my breath and rushing past the wine.

My fiance is disgusted that a pharmacy can sell cigarettes and alcohol. (like Walgreens) In his country, this simply isn't done. Pharmacies are for health and wellness in his country.
  • RubyRed427
    I have not been sober either. I just can't get past all the worries and anxiety- of course, I know that anxiety is being exacerbated.

So, I just made an appointment with a therapist to get to the heart of the matter. What is wrong with my brain?

When I drive in my city and nearby, I can see the places where I used to go to AA meetings and wondered how I allowed myself to get off track. I would go to meetings and they were a relief. I liked them.