~ Sobriety Matters ~

Replies

• AR10at50
    AR10at50 Posts: 1,172 Member
    @BeIn2day - That Kate Bee video nails it!!! And great quotes you posted above!
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 451 Member
    Hey, Bein, do you feel up to throwing them away? You bought them, but you know you don’t really want to smoke them and one addiction can fuel another so I would say get them out of your house. They will probably just make you feel sick at this point anyway.

I am really sorry you are in pain and had a tough session. But wow, you are also strong and brave and facing your challenges and you didn’t buy alcohol. That is a big accomplishment and milestone. No matter how difficult the session was you made it through.
    Stay strong.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Sending big hugs, Bein. I quit a thousand times before I quit for good. You'll get there.
  • AR10at50
    AR10at50 Posts: 1,172 Member
    Hugs to you, @BeIn2day .💚
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 451 Member
    @siberiantarragon Ok i just read the scariest thing ever — and then cracked up. (About the vacation comment) I am glad you still have your sense of humor.

It is a totally different thing, but I am trying to help a relative who has Parkinsons disease with psychosis. She realizes she has the hallucinatory episodes so it is very different than dealing with elderly people who have dementia and have no idea. I don’t ever know how to speak with her when she is having an issue because she is stubborn by nature and when she is having an episode I don’t know whether to reason with her, humor her, ignore it, play along but do what I think needs to be done anyway…. The problem is I never know how long it will last or whether she will hurt herself and she sometimes/often has very bad ideas that I need to dissuade her of in the midst of it. Just because she realizes she is hallucinating doesn’t mean she can/will change her behavior or can tell me how to help her.
  • BeIn2day
    BeIn2day Posts: 1,663 Member
    Thank you for sharing your experiences on here, @siberiantarragon. I think talking about mental health helps to end the stigma around it. Not talking is what causes a lot of the problems, I think. And there is a definite link between mental health and addiction. In my work, almost every single person we support, has at least one addiction. Usually nicotine, alcohol, cannabis, food. Its like putting a sticking plaster on a broken leg. But I do understand that some people self medicate and try to escape their head, even just for a while. They just want peace. They just want to feel good, or feel, something. I don't judge anyone with an addiction issue. I probably did in the past.

I have suffered greatly from anxiety and depression, low moods, emotional issues. I have had 2 panic attacks in my life, years ago. Absolutely horrible. I'm glad I don't have that to deal with. My brother regularly has panic attacks. He suffers a great deal. He also focuses on existential matters. He feels trapped in his body sometimes and like he is drowning. My heart goes out to him. He is meant to be speaking to a mental health professional soon. I hope they speak to him soon ! I can relate to that dissociative feeling and like things aren't real. I experienced that about 7 or 8 years ago. Very odd feeling. I felt like an alien or something, like I had just been put here and I was looking around at life wondering what the heck it was. Scary.

If I could have the power to change something it would be to make everyone's anxiety dissappear. I was diagnosed with psychosis around 7 or 8 years ago. 2015 I think. Even enduring psychosis, I would still chose to eradicate anxiety. I recovered from psychosis but anxiety has clung on for dear life. Its why I speak to a Councillor. Its also why I don't drink alcohol now. It makes my anxiety worse, eventually.

I am so thrilled to hear that you are feeling a bit better and you have skills and tools to help you. ❣️

• BeIn2day
    For anyone reading this who suffers anxiety and depression. I would wholeheartedly recommend CBT. Cognitive behavioural therapy. My doctor (GP) sent me a link for a course. I completed it at home it was called Beating the Blues. (I am in the UK so unsure about what the course might be called in USA or other countries).

It helped me so much. It helps to change your thought patterns and helps you to recognise your 'thinking errors'. I had plenty !! Lol.
  • BeIn2day
    @Sinisterbarbie1 I think its so admirable that you help your relative the way you do. She is lucky to have you ❣️

It must be challenging though. I guess that's where the saying comes from that you have to look after yourself first in order to be there / help someone else. Your abstinence from alcohol surely helps you with that / your own self care.
  • SunnyDays930
    Siberian, I cannot even imagine the kind of terror and anxiety you went through. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this very personal information and story with us. We all learn from each other's experiences.
    I have been drinking wine again. I am disappointed in myself. Every day is a new chance to get my act together, yet by 4 pm I am craving it badly and have given in the last couple of days. Addiction is such a beast. I have 5 nieces and nephews coming into town and staying with us starting Friday for a wedding. Although a lot of work, this is a blessing. I absolutely will not drink with or in front of these people. Hopefully after the weekend and having them here, I will be back on track.
  • BeIn2day
    @SunnyDays930 if I have learnt one thing from set backs or relapses or slips, beating yourself up doesn't help at all. I know that you can feel disappointed, but don't be too hard on yourself. I'm glad you feel that with family visiting, it gives you the motivation to stay dry. 💪

Maybe go back to the drawing board. Think about your triggers. If you keep alcohol in the house that might be something to explore for example, it might be too tempting. Sending you positive vibes ✨️
  • BeIn2day
    hmcbnz21kd9z.jpg
  • BeIn2day
    2kpnnvc24hqy.jpg
    ❣️❣️❣️
  • SunnyDays930
    Despite copious amounts of alcohol consumed around me at today's wedding, I remained completely sober. I saw an awful lot of people not only drinking the beer, wine, and mimosas that were offered by the host, but going round the corner to the restaurant bar and bringing back shots. My sister in law, who paid for the wedding, was disappointed that her beer and wine open bar was not "good enough". This was 10:30 in the morning for a brunch wedding! I assured her it was absolutely lovely and the people that felt the need to add shots had a problem.
    I was glad to be sober and hold my grandson and entertain my granddaughters.