Pecan Pie, Pumpkin Pie, pie, pie, pie

2»

Replies

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    dralicephd wrote: »
    No pie leftovers. Thankfully I had a small army of family around to hoover up all the desserts. :)

I had two pieces of pie over the weekend and one small handful of chocolate covered almonds. That was all I ate for sweets.

Christmas is going to be a much different story... My husband makes homemade egg nog and a ton of German cookies that we only get on Christmas. I will be in gluttony mode for sure. :smiley:

So you have a husband that makes cookies? Dang, that must be pretty awesome.

I've never had homemade egg nog before. One thing that I know and believe is that egg nog always tasted better with whisky, rum or brandy. 😜
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,974 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Quelled my pie/dessert cravings with mashed sweet potato with a little pumpkin pie spice worked in. I nuked it warm and then topped with cold plain yogurt and cinnamon/raisin granola. Heaven in a bowl!

I too have been known to do similar 'things' (roasted squash varieties are really good too!)

OK, here I am digressing again *and* being a force for calorie depravity (?) again: Someone on another thread posted a recipe for a white miso caramel sauce (which was excellent), and a recent episode with squash juices caramelizing on the roasting pan (tasty!) has me contemplating making squash-miso caramel. It could be a disaster, but it might be good . . . .

P.S. On the more calorie-friendly end of the scale, some friends gave me a bottle of pear and cinnamon infused aged balsamic vinegar, which was really amazing on Winter squash, especially with a reasonable (modest) amount of toasted walnuts.

Was it (the miso sauce) suggested from @acpgee on 'What do your meals look like?' - I kind of remember reading this sauce suggestion a while ago. Sure does sound delish! and that aged bv w/walnuts sounds epic too!

Yes! That's the miso caramel sauce. I think it was this one:

https://food52.com/recipes/18618-miso-caramel

The miso adds a little saltiness, and a little subtle richness. Very good, IMO.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    @AnnPT77 - Thanks for the link...I'm quite sure this would be very very good lol!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    My family does a pretty good job of just having what we need for the number of people in attendance at the holidays. No pie leftovers and very little leftovers in general. I pulled what meat I could off the carcass and used the carcass to make a stock for my turkey stew last Saturday and that used up most of the turkey leftovers as well. I have just enough dark meat, stuffing, and green bean casserole for lunch today and that will be the end of it.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    No pie leftovers. Thankfully I had a small army of family around to hoover up all the desserts. :)

I had two pieces of pie over the weekend and one small handful of chocolate covered almonds. That was all I ate for sweets.

Christmas is going to be a much different story... My husband makes homemade egg nog and a ton of German cookies that we only get on Christmas. I will be in gluttony mode for sure. :smiley:

I've never had homemade egg nog before. One thing that I know and believe is that egg nog always tasted better with whisky, rum or brandy. 😜

He is the main cook of the house, and yes, it rocks. Although, the downside is that I have to follow him around the kitchen typing into MFP whatever he's adding to recipes. Our current "disagreements" involve things like this: "Why did you throw away the wrapper before I could scan it??" "Sorry, I forgot! I'm just cooking!" lol

The nog is made with brandy. It's awesome. :smile:
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    I'm not a big "pie (or baked goods) guy.

So no TG pie leftovers at my place but I recently made a dedacent no bake icebox choc cake recipe published by Ina Garten that was DELICIOUS but it is so cal rich that I personally wouldn't make/eat it more than once a year (or two)!

See: https://barefootcontessa.com/recipes/mocha-chocolate-icebox-cake
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member

My husband used to bake cookies all the time and makes an amazing Snickerdoodle. I bake and cook quite a bit more than him now, but he's the better cook/baker.

I finally ate the last of the gluten-free/vegan pumpkin pie I made, that I actually preferred to the traditional. I'm not a big pie person generally, but I LOVE cake!