Food and longevity

So the other day I was at work, someone approached me and asked "why do you eat healthy?" Yuck( how rude right) so I replied "why not?" . That person said it isn't Delicious and we only live once.
My response was healthy food can be delicious, it's how you prepare it and I eat this way because I want to live a healthy life and live a long life too. So my question is,
what do you all think of food and lifespan ?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I have a reasonably broad definition of what eating healthy is (I think it's about the overall nutrient content of one's diet, as well as being calorie-appropriate), but I find it is more delicious than when I would eat mindlessly and I feel better when I'm eating this way. As far as personal longevity, who knows what's going to happen to any individual -- I could be hit by a car or develop some deadly disease tomorrow. I think eating healthfully is a good thing but hardly a silver bullet. I do think that avoiding some avoidable health issues that can be associated with obesity and affect quality of life is important, and as I'm getting older I'm more conscious of how being reasonably active now might pay off in terms of continued mobility going forward.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    For me, it’s not about length but quality of life.

Having witnessed my mom decline and be completely bedridden her last seven years, and my dad too winded to walk from bedroom to living room, I want more out of life than endless episodes of Law and Order SUV and the same tree out the same window for years on end. Much more.

But yes, I do find healthier food tastier and more satisfying.

Maybe it’s just in my head, because I pay attention to what I eat now and try to eat mindfully.

I’m riding my stationary bike right now prior to taking the dog for a long walk prior to a challenging hot mat class. It takes physical work, too, but the rush of getting out and walking my anxious little rescue mutt through the sun and the fragrant fallen leaves, wish my folks would have paid more attention to their health and had that opportunity, too.

We make our own choices. I regret theirs for them, but have now understand I have the power to change mine.

Even if better nutrition only gives me the option to exercise or walk, I’m grateful for just that. Moving our body at will is a great gift.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 873 Member
    I mean...I think it makes sense to know what is in the food you eat that is good for your body or stuff that your body needs. I think that can apply to a candy bar too...so ---- =)

I really love food. Like --- roasted bone marrow mashed potatoes - get in my face. I could name some stuff that's healthy about it and I'm sure someone else would thinks it's pretty UNhealthy. But it tastes good so I'mma eat it.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I go back and forth on this so often. :( I saw my old time farmer neighbor and his wife live to be in their 90's, eating full lard donuts and whole fat milk, meats and eggs all the time. My 88 yo neighbor, who just passed away yesterday, had instant cocoa, a Little Debbie's honey bun and 1/2 a donut for breakfast forever, along with ice cream for supper in place of a real meal. His wife died years ago from ovarian cancer, exercised and ate healthy and she was in her mid-60's. None of them were overweight but didn't live by 'healthy eating'(except the youngest one). Well, the farmer did have vegetables. :)

I feel a lot of the time it comes down to genetics, luck, and yes, of course the way you eat/move for the most part.

I can only tell you how my body feels going through junk-food sprees compared to healthy eating and exercising.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    I will live as long as LORD JESUS wants me too! The qaulity of life I have a bit more control over. I am watching my dad eat himself to a very bad end and my brothers are following in his foot steps. I don't want that...I want to be able to run and play with my babies 🙉

LORD JESUS is KING OF KINGS
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    I feel that there are things that completely out of our control, like an accident or an onset of some terrible disease. But there are many things that we can control and therefore improve our chances on longer and healthier life. Good quality of life is very important, imo. So good healthy diet, keeping healthy weight, good mobility are those things. I've seen 80 something years old who can barely walk from room to room, and those who are still very active, participate in sports, enjoy life even though they might have dome health issues at that age as well. But difference is so significant! Usually the latter ones are eat well too, plus they exercise routinely. So i, personally, would love to be in that group when i get there.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited December 2021
    loprezl wrote: »
    So my question is, what do you all think of food and lifespan ?

While I believe in eating "healthy" (which probably does not mean the same to me as it does to you) is a "good" thing, I am not obsessive about it.

Obviously, eating "healthy" almost certainly has some correlation w/longevity but so do a lot of other factors, like genetics (which may be the most important factor of all).

My mother's favorite food was Lay's Potato Chips, she ate red meat (as did all of us in the family did and still do) and lots of other things that were arguably "unhealthy" and "bad" for her. Nonetheless, while she had multiple bouts w/cancer and other health problems, she lived to 101.

So, who knows?

For longevity, I don't think it is so much "what" you eat but "how much" you eat, especially since being "overweight" generally and "obese" specificially is associated with so many health problems that reduce one's estimated longevity; most notably cardiovascular disease and diabetes.

Most of us came to MFP in order to control our weight and those of us who are successful in doing this will probably live longer than we would otherwise, as long as what we eat is of sufficient nutritional value "overall" to keep us alive however long that may be.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Like others have said, I honestly feel better when I eat "healthier." Of course, "healthy" is subjective and can be different for everyone. For me, it means lots of veggies and fruits, lean proteins, whole grains, healthy fats,plenty of fiber, less ultra-processed sugar and being mindful of added sugar. I'm also sensitive to certain foods and eating too much of foods I'm not as sensitive to, so I try to avoid some of those, as well. When I don't, I feel it.

With that being said, I'm also not overly strict and strongly believe in balance. I do know, that many health problems could probably be made better by not only eating a better diet but by maintaining a healthy weight. My best friend is obese (probably considered "morbidly" at this point) and eats like crap. She has many health problems that even she knows is either caused by or exacerbated by her weight and diet. Conventional western medicine, though, just often looks at pills and surgeries to try and fix health issues.