I *want* to like tofu

2»

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    So this thread (and the expiration date of the tofu I bought) got my butt in gear to try one of those pudding recipes I mentioned. It didn't need to be drained (thank you, google) so that was good. And I mixed it by hand and not with the immersion blender or hand mixer I surprisingly still had and I'm impatient so it wasn't as smooth as it could have been. And I should have gone with my first instinct not to buy cocoa powder because all the maple syrup and then added splenda couldn't get rid of that bitter taste.

The silken tofu itself was a good texture, tho, and when I tried it without any flavoring, it wasn't offensive or anything.

I only used one serving of the tofu so next up is protein powder on its own and, when I get it, the sf ff chocolate jello pudding.

So anyone want some slightly used cocoa powder? :)

If it's unsweetened cocoa powder, try it in black bean soup, chili, or something like that. Definitely cook it. I like about 1 tablespoon (I think that's around 7g?) per large serving, but you might want to try half that first. It doesn't (to me) taste explicitly "chocolate-y", just richer, mostly.

Bu...bu...but that's cooking! :) Yeah, the recipe I used said 10 grams which was definitely way too much.

They need a milk chocolate powder for 10 calories a tablespoon. :)

(Chili actually sounds really good.)
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    I’ve recently begun to enjoy Tofu, having tried it on and off for many years and deciding it wasn’t for me, despite wanting to like it!

What changed for me was trying Smoked Tofu. It’s readily available in supermarkets here in the U.K. Obviously I don’t know if that’ll be the case in the States. The brand I use is The Tofoo Company. Because it’s smoked it does have a flavour of its own and that seemed to get me past the texture issue I had with Tofu previously. Tofoo Company tofu does not need any pressing etc, which was another thing I dislike about standard tofu - too much messy faff! 😂

Having come to enjoy the Smoked version I’ve now started to eat normal non smoked tofu and now really like the slightly spongy texture that I found odd for years.

Do you just eat the smoked tofu as is? Or do you prepare it in some way?
  • ToffeeApple71
    ToffeeApple71 Posts: 117 Member
    Try making a Pad Thai with tofu, but grate the tofu instead of having big chunks of it. Makes it have the texture of chicken mince and has the flavour of the pad Thai. I always add extra garlic and ginger if I'm using tofu rather than meat.