High Blood Pressure

Options
2»

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Be aware that eating lots of beetroot or drinking it can give you…interesting coloured wee and poo 🤣 hubby thought he was dying when he saw bright pink wee!
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Be aware that eating lots of beetroot or drinking it can give you…interesting coloured wee and poo 🤣 hubby thought he was dying when he saw bright pink wee!

That's really funny. Glad he was okay. :D:D I've also noticed with beet juice that -- wow -- a few tiny splatters are bright crimson and look like dye, so I have to be careful not to splatter it on something that matters, like my clothes.

• Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I would add one caveat here in regards to sodium reduction. 1000-1500 may not be efficient for an individual who is doing a lot of exercise and sweating a lot. It is what is generally recommended for a hypertensive person who is more or less sedentary, but someone who's sweating a lot has a high probability of having issues with sodium being very low.

When I first started all of this, sodium was the first thing I reduced and was usually in the 1300 range. I started getting into a lot of endurance cycling...I live in the desert and it gets incredibly hot here in the summer and with all of the sweating I just started cramping up like crazy...not only out on rides, but would get woken up in the middle of the night with various cramping and charlie horses. My Dr. instructed me to just watch my processed food and eating out, but not actively pursue actively working everything into low sodium and to instead make my pursuit more about increasing potassium.

It's important to remember that sodium is also an essential nutrient/mineral and too little can be just as bad as too much.

That's a good point about sodium as an essential nutrient and especially important for people who exercise a lot.

My late husband was a marathon runner and daily hiker, even through illness. He would occasionally get leg cramps from low sodium. I exercise every day, am not sedentary, but I do far less than he did.

You have a better doctor than mine. They gave me no advice and just want to put me on pills, which I am resisting until i give diet a chance. I really, really don't like cooking and developed a daily habit of eating out, plus grocery store premade salads. I'm still getting sodium, just eliminating a sandwich I ate several times a week that had 1000 mgs of sodium, or snacking on olives (250 mgs for one small package, which I never stopped at), or a Greek salad with about 2000 mgs -- a few items out of many. I do get some sodium, just not 1000s of mgs a day.

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Hollis100 wrote: »

That's really funny. Glad he was okay. :D:D I've also noticed with beet juice that -- wow -- a few tiny splatters are bright crimson and look like dye, so I have to be careful not to splatter it on something that matters, like my clothes.
    Beetroot is actually used as a clothes dye as it’s so potent, so yes, avoid splatters at all costs!
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I see only one post from the OP here, and very little information in it. Blood pressure is necessary to push blood around your body. If it's high, that is because there is something causing it to need to be high. Either you have lots of distance to push it (eg being really fat), or you have a lot of inflammation (maintaining a lot of fluid in the blood vessels), or you have your blood vessels constricted (broken LDL cholesterol turning to plaque).

Each of those above are going to require different actions on your part.

Sugar is a cause of broken LDL, and also can be a cause of inflammation. Farmed fish can be a cause of inflammation.

So I guess looking into your diet, and eating more fat, less sugar, is one way to help. Or taking walks to help you move fluids around in your body, or looking at how your kidneys are functioning, or losing weight...

Unless you contribute more about yourself everyone's just taking potshots in the dark. But just understand blood pressure is the result of something, not the cause. And if you didn't have any blood pressure you'd be dead; so working out why it's high and then resolving that issue will make it go down.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Farmed fish can be a cause of inflammation? I never knew that. :/ Even farmed salmon? Another thing to google today. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,049 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Farmed fish can be a cause of inflammation? I never knew that. :/ Even farmed salmon? Another thing to google today. :)

Good reflex: Check everything. Then check the sources you check.😉

Anyone (including me) can pop in here and say anything, from profound insights to pure nonsense. Having science-y sounding words in the post is no indicator. 😆
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

yes. And definitely, definitely farmed salmon. that's why they now tell you if fish you eat is farmed or wild caught. Basically, fish food for farmed fish contains a lot of soy, and the kind of protein chain created by the fish in his digestion is the kind of protein we as humans use as part of our immune response. So we overwhelm our bodies with a protein we normally have very little of. If you have immune response problems, avoid farmed fish and farmed chicken.

Don't ask me to tell you its name. It starts with a T and then lots and lots of letters. :D