May 6

13»

Replies

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,778 Member
    @SilverSage1 I asked my dr if he thought statins were good and he said yes, they help a lot of people. I do not agree. I believe the body needs cholesterol. If my body is high in cholesterol that's because I'm eating too much junk and not enough animal products, so the body produces more cholesterol to balance me out. This is not a good thing. Doctors practice medicine. I do not want drugs or a drug dealer. I want proper nutrition. My body is smart enough to heal itself if the food industry and medical industry would stop poisoning me. Rant over.

We should be careful thinking that Doctors Rx are not necessary if we could just eat and exercise correctly. Many folks regardless of weight or condition will have high cholesterol which statins could help or high blood pressure which needs control. Sadly with age I have found that being a good weight and exercising and eating correctly cannot fix everything the genetic pool has given us. It is definitely helpful and can correct some issues but some folks need help. I take thyroid synthroid daily. I dont want to but there is no amount of anything I can do which would help except the meds. Just an example.
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,023 Member
    edited May 2022
    @victorious55 thank you for your posts & links. I read everything & everyone’s comments. So very interest & inspiring.

I’m glad you posted this as I had been thinking that my “whys” must not be strong enough and/or motivating enough & that’s why I have haven’t been successful. I definitely know what to do but haven’t been. So I know that I have been giving myself a break in the back of my mind because I am struggling to make it through the day every day for a very long time now.
    So after reading your articles & the subsequent posts, I am thinking about this and changing up my whys.

1) I narrowed down to after reading your links. It may seem shallow & in the past that would have been my thought. But it is a real life situation that I am in right now. For Mother’s Day, I’ve been invited to my son’s wife’s parents home where they will be swimming. I used to love swimming, but even being in shorts right now is something difficult for me much less a swimsuit. Haven’t worn one in many years! Over 10 yrs. not having shorts or swimsuit that I would even feel comfortable in or fit much less I would look ridiculous wearing.
    So now I don’t want to go. That’s just not right, is it.
    So, I going to go but not swim. And not stay long is my plan. And to stay indoors to stay cool. Doesn’t sound very fun for me, but I need to go for the sake of family.
    However, I now have a goal.
    Get to where would be more comfortable wearing shorts and swimsuit.

2) after reading about how others feel after losing some weight—Having more energy.

3) also after reading posts & looking back on how exercise does make me more alert, more energetic (once I build up a little bit) and general feeling of happiness all the time.

So those are my reasons, now. I’m going to print them out.

(My overarching goal for years was to compete in racquetball once again. Now, that goal seems so far off & don’t even know if there are anymore courts around to play. So may even be unrealistic.).

Sorry for this extra long post.
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,023 Member
    May 6th
    Exercise no
    Tracked yes
    Calories no, but was close
    Passes used up.

May 2022-UAC goals: 0/6 days. Hopefully, I will start to post some successful days of reaching the goals.
  • hopefaithlifts
    hopefaithlifts Posts: 36 Member
    May 6

Exercise ✅
    Calories ✖️
    Tracked ✖️

2/3 Pass Days (May 2 & 6)

• bookieNJ
    bookieNJ Posts: 3,475 Member
    edited May 2022
    3 yes last night-and it was fun doing it! Googling lowest calorie moe’s then ditching it and gettung 390 calorie sushi…lowest calorie bank due to weather and less exercise

My why? Now to stay off blood pressure pills-my bp was borderline and I had two months to change my eating a d stop weight. My appointment is this Friday. Definitely weigh less than before but my weight goes down 2 then up and down a pound before it drops again
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,342 Member
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? yes

Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? yes

Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? yes
  • eokoro
    eokoro Posts: 626 Member
    May 7th

Exercise: yes
    Tracked: Yes
    Calories: yes
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,958 Member
    Yes x3
    Great topic and Just what I needed right now..... I have had a few whys esp in the last 2 years wen I joined Uac. I had the luxury of being a stay at home mum and altho it was tough financially we made do and it gave me the opportunity to focus of my health. Now being back at work I am hving to rethink my why and also we adjust my health goals to fit in with my new working life. My why at the moment is to hve a normal relationship with food and weight and not let it consume me as much as it does. This will allow me to live in the present moment with my toddler and also teach him how to regulate his emotions wen he grows up.. xo

#NormalRelationshipWithFood
    #NormalRelationshipWithWeight

#MomInThePresent
    #AMomThatModelsTheTruth

A healthy relationship with our emotions is very important. I am very sure your toddler will grow up to appreciate you. My young adult son recently gave me a hug and thanked me for taking care of myself, making sure they eat healthy, modelling healthy lifestyle, and said "...I have a foundation to pass on to my own family..." I was emotional.

@victorious55 WOW! What a son you raised!

I wanted to thank you for your brilliant post. I had a Big Why as I call it, and it worked great until October of last year. A number of health things hit me as I walked 10K steps every single day, maintained my weight loss for years, and tracked every single bite for years.

Your writing & the 4 articles helped me greatly.

And I decided to adopt these!

Ok can’t post it apparently….

Here we go!
    For my knees & joints
    Yo Sleep better
    Have Fewer colds
    Enjoy Healthier foods that taste better.
    To have fewer complications/faster recovery after Surgery

But why all these?
    Fewer aches & pains; more energy to Fido the things I love; active & healthy with grandkid(s) if I should become so lucky, and my original Big Why yo be able to actively participate in life & live as long as possible to enjoy my husband and grown son.

Thank you! SO SO SO much for your post!

♥️♥️♥️
    Maddie
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,958 Member
    ✅✅✅
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    pass day
  • victorious55
    victorious55 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Exercise? Walk, 1 mile
    Under calories? No
    Tracked meals? Yes
    Pass Days? 2/3

Water Goal? No
    Apple Cider Vinegar? Yes

I have not been able to find a why. I don't have children and I love my curves. I would like to be strong and healthy but that hasn't stopped me from eating too much pie. I hope to find it soon.

".. be Strong and Healthy..." is a noble goal I am sure you can research and work on.

I have an Auntie that don't have any children and she is one of my role models.

#ILoveMyCurves
    #BeStrong&Healthy
  • victorious55
    06/05/2022
    Exercise – yes,
    Tracking – yes
    Calories – yes
    3 pass days used

We got home at lunch time so I was able to log all my meals today – just within calorie allowance (included exercise cals). Managed a short bike ride in the afternoon and some short cardio work.

Excellent opener @victorious55 and I’ve enjoyed reading the responses.
    Similar to you, I was just under 50 when I embraced the big Why – to be my best healthy self and enjoy life to the full. Mine was prompted by splitting up with my husband and starting a new life with the emphasis on ME. (My children had both reached adulthood by then and were independent)
    I lost weight and maintained for about 15 years but got derailed by retirement.
    Had some wake-up calls in 2018 and re-committed to the healthy lifestyle. Lost over 22 kg (50 lb) and have maintained now for three years at a healthy weight. I won the argument with my doctor about statins – lowered my cholesterol by diet and exercise.

@lesdarts180 you've been an inspiration to me. You are very consistent. You always look for every opportunity to workout and take care of yourself. Thank you!

#EnjoyLifeToTheFull
    #BestHealthySelf
    #IHaveWon
  • victorious55
    jamcnewman wrote: »
    Thank you so much for today’s opening post and the thought provoking articles @victorious55 💛 I have really enjoyed reading everyone’s reflections and insights and what a wonderful and diverse group this is.

My why is embedded in a promise to myself to do everything in my power to maximize my current physical health and cause me to have a longer and healthier life. The odds are not “forever in my favour.” I don’t think they are for many people. Some are just not (yet) as aware of this. My situation has been genetically pre-determined, but there are many things I can do to minimize impact and improve quality and length of life. And I am motivated to do all I can to control the outcomes.

@jamcnewman, I totally agree with you that there are somethings in this life that we have absolutely no control over. Some just happens to us, some are genetical, some were inflicted on us, etc., etc. They are in too many categories to enumerate here. That is why I like to follow people Nick Vujicic and Joni Eareckson Tada. Their stories changed my life and my outlook to life. I see how they have turn their lemon into lemonade.
    #IwillMaximizeMyCurrentHealth
    #DoAllToControltheOutcome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NoZhfytwTM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVXJ8GyLgt0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xBazk_sLus
    https://www.joniandfriends.org/
  • victorious55
    May 6
    Another pass day, but barely. I think I'm at 3 now... heading for Champion again I guess
    Exercise: 15 minutes MommaStrong, 40 minutes walk
    Tracking: Planned the day. I knew it was going to be an off schedule day, so I needed an extra snack, so the plan was very close to my target calories
    Calories: But I continued snacking like I had left the buffer, and just didn't track it - so probably a few hundred calories over.

Great opener @victorious55 and I am so inspired by reading everyone's responses.

My original why for losing weight was that I gained it during pregnancy when I was very sick and it just never felt like my own body after that. After 10 years I have gotten somewhat used to it - like I don't walk into walls or bump into people so much anymore because I do know the size of my body. But I don't like it and it doesn't feel right. My exercise has also been focused on that recovery - getting back my core strength so that I feel steady - and that has helped a lot, that my body can do what it used to do.

As I am maybe approaching the point at which my body now wants to be stuck, which is in a healthy BMI range but is not where I was before, I am beginning to try to accept that "getting my body back" is not an achievable goal.

I read all those articles, which are great. I do think immune stuff is a good motivation for me - I have an autoimmune thyroid condition and I have been told that losing weight will help slow its progression, so that is definitely motivation.

I began really devoting time to this journey right around my 39th birthday, and so aging healthily was part of the motivation for sure - just setting myself up as best I can for the next phase of life. At 42 I am feeling pretty good.

#AgingHealthier!
    #InControlOfMyCondition
  • victorious55
    Yes x3
    Great topic and Just what I needed right now..... I have had a few whys esp in the last 2 years wen I joined Uac. I had the luxury of being a stay at home mum and altho it was tough financially we made do and it gave me the opportunity to focus of my health. Now being back at work I am hving to rethink my why and also we adjust my health goals to fit in with my new working life. My why at the moment is to hve a normal relationship with food and weight and not let it consume me as much as it does. This will allow me to live in the present moment with my toddler and also teach him how to regulate his emotions wen he grows up.. xo

#NormalRelationshipWithFood
    #NormalRelationshipWithWeight

#MomInThePresent
    #AMomThatModelsTheTruth

A healthy relationship with our emotions is very important. I am very sure your toddler will grow up to appreciate you. My young adult son recently gave me a hug and thanked me for taking care of myself, making sure they eat healthy, modelling healthy lifestyle, and said "...I have a foundation to pass on to my own family..." I was emotional.

@victorious55 WOW! What a son you raised!

I wanted to thank you for your brilliant post. I had a Big Why as I call it, and it worked great until October of last year. A number of health things hit me as I walked 10K steps every single day, maintained my weight loss for years, and tracked every single bite for years.

Your writing & the 4 articles helped me greatly.

And I decided to adopt these!

Ok can’t post it apparently….

Here we go!
    For my knees & joints
    Yo Sleep better
    Have Fewer colds
    Enjoy Healthier foods that taste better.
    To have fewer complications/faster recovery after Surgery

But why all these?
    Fewer aches & pains; more energy to Fido the things I love; active & healthy with grandkid(s) if I should become so lucky, and my original Big Why yo be able to actively participate in life & live as long as possible to enjoy my husband and grown son.

Thank you! SO SO SO much for your post!

♥️♥️♥️
    Maddie

MadisonMolly2017, your post made me emotional. You are a very strong lady. You always inspire me. Thank you.

#EnergyToDoStuff
    #EnjoySonGrandKidsHusband
    #EnjoyHealthierFood
  • calvin20874
    calvin20874 Posts: 1,144 Member
    5/6

Exercise: 150 minutes
    Tracking: yes
    Calories: under
    Pass days used: 0
  • bookieNJ
    bookieNJ Posts: 3,475 Member