Calorie Adjustment

Hi! I’ve been using the app for 3 weeks and I’ve lost 16 pounds. Wondering… as I lose will MFP automatically adjust how many calories I need to eat? I’m still sitting at the same calorie goal with a goal of 2 pounds per week and I’ve been losing steadily with logging everything and medication prescribed by my doctor. Do I need to tweak the settings or will it do it for me?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member
    edited May 2022
    In my experience: no, MFP does not update the calorie goal automatically. If you go to the goal setup, change your weight loss rate setting and/or activity rate setting and then change them back again. That should be enough to get an updated goal.

That being said, 16lbs in 3 weeks is insanely fast. Having a 'whoosh' in the beginning is normal (less water weight from less carbs and less food waste in the digestive tract), but still losing at that rate after a few weeks is not recommended. Between 0.5 and 1% of bodyweight per week would be the rate to aim for, to avoid losing muscle mass and other potential negative health consequences.