How you look VS how you THINK you look

2»

Replies

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    I was great at nitpicking before I put on weight - now I avoid cameras like the plague.

Mind you, I never treaded into obese territory, but I was overweight, and am still overweight for my frame by a fair bit (~20-25 pounds). May not sound like much to some, but that makes a huge difference in my overall outline and how my clothes fit.

Even 10 pounds down from where I am (which I managed briefly in 2019) looks completely different. No big muffin top, no rolls under my tee shirts or dresses, just not quite as trim as I'd like in certain areas, but I look much better in and out of photos.

Add that 10 pounds in and my lumps end up in very unflattering places, rolls under my shirts, muffin tops even when standing....and IMO those things all look way worse in photos than they do in person.

When it comes to photos though, I've never really liked them unless I had time to pose/take/retake until I got the angle I wanted. Had some professional photos back in the day that were pretty awesome too. Candid photos though I avoid - always have, but it's definitely worse now than when I was still in my target range.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,322 Member
    My perception of myself also varies depending on my location and situation. At work I feel like a little chunky person (I’m not that tall and I’m muscular), and I want long lithe limbs. In the powerlifting gym I feel small, old and think I look like I need to bulk up. I work in a uni so being surrounded by youngsters isn’t always helpful!