May sound silly but🤷🏿‍♀️

2»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    edited July 2022
    @Lietchi

I just use 35g oats...11g whey with 2oz milk (just a big splash,) 50g banana and 50g blueberries, 8g flax, 16g walnuts and 4g butter. That is very filling to me. Did you put any fat in it? Mine is right at 500 cals.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Inspired by this thread, I 'excavated' my box of oatmeal from the pantry and made myself oatmeal for breakfast:
    - 50gr oats
    - 200 ml of semi-skimmed milk
    - 30gr of whey (with artificial sweetener)
    - 200gr of defrosted blueberries

The result was yummy, but calculating the calorie count afterwards was sobering. A whopping 500 calories for a breakfast that wasn't very satiating (albeit yummy) :# And now I remember why I don't usually have oatmeal for breakfast. My regular breakfast of 300gr of fruit flavored skyr and blueberries for around 250 calories is less yummy but waaay more filling.

What kind of portions are you guys eating? Do you find it filling?

My oatmeal serving is 30g, and I do find it very filling. I'm sure that's partly a function of filling out out with plain nonfat Greek yogurt, walnuts, mixed berries, cinnamon, and blackstrap molasses.

Now - in maintenance - I also add peanut butter powder, ground flax seed, and hemp hearts, so it is pretty caloric . . . but so filling and tasty to me that I spend around 1/3 of my daily base calories on it nearly every day. That, plus a cup of two of coffee with lots of frothed skim milk, runs over 600 calories IIRC.
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    I use a brown sugar called Swerve. It is great and I seriously cannot tell the difference. I cannot eat my steel cut outs with out it.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Inspired by this thread, I 'excavated' my box of oatmeal from the pantry and made myself oatmeal for breakfast:
    - 50gr oats
    - 200 ml of semi-skimmed milk
    - 30gr of whey (with artificial sweetener)
    - 200gr of defrosted blueberries

The result was yummy, but calculating the calorie count afterwards was sobering. A whopping 500 calories for a breakfast that wasn't very satiating (albeit yummy) :# And now I remember why I don't usually have oatmeal for breakfast. My regular breakfast of 300gr of fruit flavored skyr and blueberries for around 250 calories is less yummy but waaay more filling.

What kind of portions are you guys eating? Do you find it filling?

I have never personally found oatmeal to be worth the calories. I need protein and fat to be full.
  • ldaltonbishop
    ldaltonbishop Posts: 97 Member
    40 grams old-fashioned rolled oats
    1/2 cup or 4 oz low-fat milk (sometimes more)
    Microwave in a REALLY oversized bowl at 60% for 3.5 minutes.

Add in your choice of:
    *1 teaspoon cinnamon sugar
    *3-4 ounces of diced or small fruit (apples, peaches, strawberries, blueberries). Softer fruits do better. Blueberries turn the oatmeal a rather appalling grey, but taste good.
    *For savory: 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast + crumbled bacon + pepper. Or 1 ounce of cheese.
    *1/2 ounce/14 grams very dark chocolate (my favorite)
    *2 tablespoons of granola (granola is high fat and high carb, so small portions are best)
    *1 ounce of shredded or flaked coconut
    *30 grams of natural peanut butter (tastes good, but I always want more peanut butter than that)
    *Jordan's skinny syrup, pretty much any flavor, to taste.
    *You could also just try making it with water, but adding a small amount of flavored creamer
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,093 Member
    @Lietchi

I just use 35g oats...11g whey with 2oz milk (just a big splash,) 50g banana and 50g blueberries, 8g flax, 16g walnuts and 4g butter. That is very filling to me. Did you put any fat in it? Mine is right at 500 cals.

I tried adding nuts to my oatmeal, didn't help at all for satiation and just increased the calorie count. I guess I'm one of those people who don't find fat satiating 🤷🏻‍♀️
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    My oatmeal serving is 30g, and I do find it very filling. I'm sure that's partly a function of filling out out with plain nonfat Greek yogurt, walnuts, mixed berries, cinnamon, and blackstrap molasses.

Now - in maintenance - I also add peanut butter powder, ground flax seed, and hemp hearts, so it is pretty caloric . . . but so filling and tasty to me that I spend around 1/3 of my daily base calories on it nearly every day. That, plus a cup of two of coffee with lots of frothed skim milk, runs over 600 calories IIRC.

600 calories is way beyond the calories I want to spend on breakfast on most days (I prefer most of my calories in the evening) but I experimented with yogurt.
    I really didn't think I would like mixing skyr into my hot oatmeal (I'm not a huge fan of yogurt, it's more of a 'it helps my protein intake' kind of food for me 🙂), but it was surprisingly yummy AND filling. Definitely one to remember.

Tweaking the amount of oats and milk, I managed to arrive around the 400 calorie mark, which is more feasible:
    30gr oats
    150ml semi skimmed milk
    15gr whey
    145gr fruit flavored skyr
    100-200gr blueberries
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    I add a tablespoon of peanut butter and top with sliced bananas
  • Jpedno
    Jpedno Posts: 301 Member
    I love oatmeal. I usually pour boiling water over 35-40 g steel cut oats the night before. In the morning I just warm it up and add toppings:

Frozen or in season cherries (there's a brand of frozen that has sweet and tart cherries), mini chocolate chips, slivered almonds, and maybe a splash of oat milk on top.

Also, fresh in season cut up peach with 10g sunflower seeds and 10g agave.

Or chopped up apple, cinnamon, and agave.

Plums would be good too.
  • jwasson3
    jwasson3 Posts: 7 Member
    I have committed to oatmeal each morning to increase fiber……..here is what I put together….1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup almond milk and pinch of salt. (I know the salt sounds crazy but it just does something with the taste). I cook that up and then add 1/4 cup frozen cherries, 1teaspoon of maple syrup or local honey and a few walnuts (healthy fat!)……keeps me at around 325 calories for breakfast and keeps me until lunch without need for a snack.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,382 Member
    I eat coarse oats with skyr, raisins and whatever fruit I happen to have. Might sound odd, but I eat it cold. This, and the not very fluid skyr makes this a dish I really have to chew and that take time to eat, and that fills me up quite well. No need for extra sweetener, got tons of carbs that I love, and some other macros :D
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal:
    40g rolled and/or quick oats
    2 tbsp 0 calorie Toasted Marshmallow syrup
    16.5 g walnuts
    64.5 g chopped medjool dates
    2 tbsp Planet Oat oat milk
    about 1/8 tsp cinnamon
    dash of nutmeg & cloves
    splash of vanilla extract if you want

460 cal, 80g carbs, 14g fat, 8g protein. Absolutely phenomenal. Cook the oats in saucepan with 1 cup water, and incrementally add all the ingredients. You can mess around with the amount of nuts and dates. Sometimes I only use 1 date. Can get this down below 400 cal pretty easily.