Submit your health and fitness tips for the chance to be featured in our 2023 New Year’s plan!

Options
1235»

Replies

• sugarfreesquirrel
    sugarfreesquirrel Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Water is the secret to enjoying favorites in moderation (which is the key to making long-term changes you can live with). I'd always think, "Who are these aliens from the future who can eat six M&Ms or ten chips, and just STOP?!! If I could do that, I wouldn't be overweight in the first place.

Turns out, if you make yourself drink half a glass of water after each one, you won't need to "make" yourself stop at six pieces - you'll want to. And slowing things down gives you time to realize, "Hey, these are good, but they're not life-changingly good. It's just candy." (The real beauty of it is, you're nailing water goals at the same time.)

BOTTOM LINE: Eat what you want...just make a (water-)drinking game out of it first!

Bad idea. Your body can only deal with about 2-3 cups of water per hour. If you drink more than that, you could throw up or get really sick and die.
  • patrickwmcelyea
    patrickwmcelyea Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I stay motivated by watching and reading others peoples success stories and learning little tips and tricks from them. Lot of smart and creative people out there!
    My monta is:
    “What did I do today that my future self will thank me for?”
  • dwalms
    dwalms Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We have a group at work that are walking virtually from the Alamo in Texas to Homer Alaska a distance of over 5,000 miles. Not a direct line kind of zig-zags to national parks during the trip. Everyone records their steps on a fit-bit or fitness watch. Since September1 we have logged a combined 4,000,000 steps. Amazingly it has become a very intense competition and has shown some great successes. We have historic walkers at 500+ miles and never walkers breaking the 100 mile barrier. We have a weekly scheduled Skype meeting to encourage and poke fun at each other. Just added an incentive to recognize other types of exercise with a gold star attached to step total records. 3 / 20 minute alternate exercises, Yoga, strength, running, hiking etc... a week earns a gold star. Starting in January you get a gold star for 1.5 - 2 lb. weight loss a week.
  • CMac06820
    CMac06820 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For the past 8 or 9 years, I KNEW I needed to drop weight. Before Covid I joined a gym and also worked with my doc on trying to find some meal plan that would work NOTHING did I signed up for various apps and then quit them including MFP several times. I gave up on myself and then the world shut down fast forward to the world coming out of its COVID coma and coming back to life I started walking daily as I was working at home not just 2 or 3 days a week. But 5 days a week. I built myself up to at one point 7 days a week slowly the weight started to come off. This weight loss thing had to come from within. Not what anyone tried to tell me or lecture me about... But ME. I have goals I look at the scale and I don't get psyched about the #'s till I see the changes in my body's shape and in time you'll see it. I lost my double chin, currently losing my chicken wings (fat that hangs off the arms) and there's a section of back fat and ab fat that is slowly melting away too. I'm pleased with that. It comes off as it needs...Take it a day at a time don't think that this will come off quickly as it won't .... Be good to yourself. If you hit a speed bump shake it off and reset and start over. I'm learning that this journey is mine to conquer no one else's I'll gladly accept praise but I have to give myself praise first... Best of Luck !!!!!!
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Find your WHY. It helps keep me on track throughout the mountainous journey towards long term health..
    Remember your WHY.
  • susvc
    susvc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Plateaus are so frustrating! Trying to pay attenetion to everything all at once is hard! This time when I "decided to get serious about this again" I didn't immediatly try to implement ALL the THINGS. I picked one thing to focus on starting with diet tracking and how I felt when reaching for a snack. Weight started coming off. As I perfect the habit or more likely, hit a plateau, I would add an additional component - keep traking food and now conciously add more water, then more activity. Then add weights. Sleep tracking. Stress managment. Fine tune nutrition, get fancier tracking tech, etc. You choose the order.
    Keeps me from being overwhelmed at first and gradually work the changes into my life. Each additional element helped kick past a plateau and reduce boredom. Also, isolating each additional strategy helped me pinpoint which ones were most effective for me.
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Determine what a calorie deficit is for you:

1. Look at the past week of logging foods and deterime how many calories you average per day. ( you can add up 7 days of total calories then divide it by 7. This is your average daily calorie intake)

2.Start off by removing 300 calories per day. This will remove 2100 calories from your weekly intake ( like an entire day worth).

3. Stick with this new deficit for a week and monitor your weightloss.

4. Adjust as needed. (Deficits will change as you lose weight because your daily intake will change).

5. Repeat this process until you reach your weight loss goal. You got this💪🏽