Eating makes me hungry

2»

Replies

• DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Whether I eat 2000, 2500, or 3000 calories, I am hungry. The last time I wasn’t hungry was in the late 1990s. I don’t think I can eat until I am not hungry because that doesn’t happen. I can eat until I’m sick. But I’m still hungry.

This was me before this year. Before I finally recognized what I had always thought was hunger was actually cravings for anything to bring my blood sugar back up to stratospheric heights. The sensation of carb cravings and true hunger were almost indistinguishable to me, but there is just enough of a difference. At 65, I have concluded that I am just not able to eat some types of food: grains (of any sort), most fruits, pasta, potatoes, rice, dough (unless it is of the low carb variety), or just about any packaged processed food. Part of the trade off is that my Doc has taken me off the diuretic, blood pressure and cholesterol prescriptions I had been on for 20 years.

I can't speak for what might work for others, only what is working for me -> eating whole foods low in carbs and high in good fats and protein. I am rarely hungry now. Most days I have to force myself to eat enough calories to stay healthy. I don't feel sleepy after meals, nor do I get shaky a couple of hours after eating anymore. I don't know why something like a darn hamburger bun affects me so much, but it does. Try different carb loads, low in glycemic loads and low on the glycemic index. Good luck!
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Two other thoughts that might help - hydration — thirst is often mistaken for hunger. Plus water makes you feel fuller even if you aren’t thirsty, and ensures proper body functioning.
    Second, fiber - particularly non-soluable fiber that slows the emptying of your stomach and also takes extra waste with it. An easy way to get it is to stir psyllium husk fiber in your juice or water in the morning (Metamucil is one brand). You can also eat it as a wafer but it is less effective. Or use chia seeds in cereals, oats or puddings.
    This is also positive for your cholesterol/heart health.
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    I'd recommend adding fiber (Psyllium is good, as noted above). And so is water!

The other thing that might work (assuming you are following a good plan and eating the right amount of food) is to tell yourself--maybe meditate on these words--"I am satisfied with my food. I have enough food to be healthy and comfortable. I can do this and be comfortable." When I've tried to convince myself of things, I repeat something like that (whatever phrase is appropriate) over and over around 20 times before I go to sleep. It feels goofy, but after a while it does sink in.