Trader Joe’s

2»

Replies

• wakegrrl
    wakegrrl Posts: 215 Member
    The TJ's pumpkin bread mix is the best. I add a can of pumpkin to the box mix in lieu of the oil, eggs, etc. and the macros improve. But I can't make it often because I can't stay away from it.

And why have I never considered adding protein to the asparagus risotto?
  • rmbrass
    rmbrass Posts: 9 Member
    If you're into beer but do not want the alcohol, try Clausthaler non-alcoholic at only about $6.99 per 6-pck. My other favorite elsewhere is Beck's but they charge close to $10 per 6-pck.
    Also at TJ's - Ezekiel grain-free bread and TJ's low carb tortillas -- both low carb and high fiber.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
    The closest Trader Joe's to me is roughly 45-50 minutes away so I very rarely get there, but I do enjoy their corn and black bean salsa and their turkey jerky.

My town really needs one, and it's not like it wouldn't do well. The population of our tri-city area is probably 70,000-80,000. Very odd that we just recently got Fresh Thyme - I much prefer Trader Joe's though. Fresh Thyme is too expensive for me.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    There's a TJ's on my way home from my office if I'm going in, I love TJ's....
    One favorite that I can't always find is the wild mushroom brie cheese and then they have a fig pita or rye crisp (dont' recall what type of "chip/crisp" other than fig - which also came in blueberry but that didn't work) and that cheese on that crisp was drool worthy delicious!
    I like a lot of stuff there in general though...probably going to have to go drag the bf to that and Sprouts on our next shopping trip...I haven't checked out the Sprouts here, where I used to live it was a regular stop for me.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2022
    LOL, some will laugh at this but Green Beans. They are fantastic there. Nice bags of prepped fresh green beans that are lovely. For like 2.99 per 2 lb. bag. I've struggled to find fresh looking green beans anywhere else around here but there.

Also, like their Soyotash (succotash made with edamame). Their fudgesicles are great as well. One of the few places that carries P'Tit Basque cheese as well. My wife is allergic to cow dairy and P'Tit Basque is a nice sheep cheese that works well for Mozzarella. They also have Manchego there at a decent price. Also like a lot of their non-dairy dips.

My daughter eats mostly vegan (with the exception of very rare seafood). TDs is great for those with gluten, dairy allergies or those that want to eat more plant based. Lots of stuff in the freezer geared toward vegans. Healthy options that aren't $7.99 per box, like they are in other grocery stores. You have to spend some time there to get to know things. My daughter didn't like it the first couple of times. Now, she shops there like at least once a week. She's a converted Whole Foods shopper. She also loves their produce now.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    Aside from the food, I must have the ambiance :) They have good taste in music and the workers are all really helpful and nice and they're good about returns and I THINK I HEARD SOME STORES ARE BRINGING BACK THE SAMPLE AREA!!!!!!!

:)
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    Aside from the food, I must have the ambiance :) They have good taste in music and the workers are all really helpful and nice and they're good about returns and I THINK I HEARD SOME STORES ARE BRINGING BACK THE SAMPLE AREA!!!!!!!

Some Trader Joe's have sample areas? Thank God mine never has. Nothing clogs up an already small and crowded space like a cattle call to a free bite of food.

Mine got rid of the little kid carts during Covid...I hope those stay gone. Always fun to have kids ramming a little cart into your shins when you are trying to do grocery shopping.

I totally don't get grocery stores trying to make some sort of "experience" other than purchasing food. My other grocery store, a Mariano's, has a wine bar and after work and on weekends people hang out there and drink wine. When it's busy, people spill into the nearby aisles. If you're getting sloshed on chardonnay in the cereal aisle, you got a problem.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

Some Trader Joe's have sample areas? Thank God mine never has. Nothing clogs up an already small and crowded space like a cattle call to a free bite of food.

Mine got rid of the little kid carts during Covid...I hope those stay gone. Always fun to have kids ramming a little cart into your shins when you are trying to do grocery shopping.

I totally don't get grocery stores trying to make some sort of "experience" other than purchasing food. My other grocery store, a Mariano's, has a wine bar and after work and on weekends people hang out there and drink wine. When it's busy, people spill into the nearby aisles. If you're getting sloshed on chardonnay in the cereal aisle, you got a problem.

I've never seen kid carts at any of my Trader Joe's. Thank god. I've read some stores hide little prizes on shelves and stuff for the kids and I know they give out stickers and lollipops. Probably their sucky organic ones tho :)

Maybe it was the timing but our sample areas were a good experience :) And, not to brag cuz lord knows I need karma points, but I only ever really went back a second time in one day to try a sample...on grilled cheese day. I'm pretty honest when it comes to stuff like that. There's a TJ's within a two minute walk from my office and I'd stop in like every day to see what they were giving out. Thick brioche bread and I don't know what kind of cheese but OMG was it good and each sample wasn't anywhere close to the 50 cals I'd allot on my diary whenever I ate something.

• Ghostofachance
    Ghostofachance Posts: 305 Member
    We don't live close to TJ's (my wallet thanks me already!) but some of the things we try to pick up when we go include the fruit strips (my kid will polish off 2-3 in a sitting if we let him), the Barebells brand plant-based protein bars (vegan candy bars, essentially), dried hatch chili flakes, peri-peri sauce, BBQ seasoning, black bean salsa - the list goes on.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited September 2022
    Their soup dumpling are delicious and only 250 calories. Also love their argentinian red shrimp and their scallion pancakes are 160 calories for a little disk of deep fried goodness.

Bought the scallion pancakes when I was there cause I was curious and you said they were good. I’m in love!
    I’m trying to figure out how to bake my own to cut down on the fat. But meanwhile I’ll just keep eating these. Delicious!

@PAPYRUS3 , Thanks for the video. I saw some new things to look for.